My current system (question)

Hi guys,

I have a question for you guys.

My current system has the following specs:

I7 4790

DDR3 16GB

Geforce GTX 970

Dark Power pro 10 650w

I just got myself a very cheap second hand version of FSX and now I want to try it on this system. I want to put it on a dedicated second 250g SSD card.

Is FSX going to run on this system? And in what way will it run with ai traffic and addons from FSDT and all?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Meesterlijk. I'm certainly no expert (far from it)   To answer your question, yes FSX will run on your system.  Its like everything else, start slow with your Ad On's and get a balance of smoothness and eye candy. Its a learning curve. 

To be honest you would be better off picking up FSX Steam version.  Steam version has had several improvements undated into it.   Word on the street is, FSX Steam version is the way to go.  

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Plenty of DCL coming on line as well,  loads of goodies in there

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=fsx+

Elaine has an excellent suggestion but both sims are pretty much the same so you would want to know if FSX-SE works with your system too.  FSX and FSX-SE have minimum specs required to run your application so FSX/FSX-SE will run well even with all sliders maxed.  However (and a major however), if you install FSDT airports and/or other addons, you will not be able to run your FSX or FSX-SE at the max w/o running into some issues eventually.  The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (see link in my signature), has suggested settings for FSX and those should work well in FSX-SE too (should you get it).  AI traffic works well in FSX/FSX-SE but I would use the settings recommended in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide as AI, set at 100%, will work well at the beginning.  Not much AI at the airport as the AI program is setting up the flight plans and putting AI at the gates and taking off/landing according to the programs flight plans.  So, I would say, in about 30 minutes to an hour, most of the AI will be set up and that's when you might see a bit of a strain on your system because of AI.  This is why I recommend the settings in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (around 30%). 

Have fun with whatever version of FS you get (FSX or FSX-SE)!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Poppet and Jim,

Thanks for your replies. I coming from fs9 and had it tweaked heavily over the years. Last summer I bought this system for two reasons. Cities Skylines and fs9. I still love my fs9 and this system really storms with fs9! It is really beautiful!

But I started to realize that my system also could run fsx. Thats why I got myself a copy (€10, barely used) of fsx. Not the Steam edition as you suggested.

Now I have a new question. Does Steam runs better than the normal fsx edition?

Can I jump to the conclusion that my system is a fair enough system to run fsx on with addons like fsdt airports and ai-traffic?

Can I jump to the conclusion that my system is a fair enough system to run fsx on with addons like fsdt airports and ai-traffic?

That's a very big question Bert. When you start to load big 3/rd party software (ad on's) into the Sim (fsx) this will slow even the most powerful systems in the world down.  Looking at your specs and taking for granted that your system is in good healthy shape, yes your system will run FSX, its not an over powerful system so when you load in Ad On's you have to be realistic with your settings and don't expect perfection on day one or even day 2.  

As you know Bert, fight simulation is not like big AAA games like Call of Duty were you have just one Ad On (the game)  and its a click and play job. With FSX theirs so many things and software that have to work together to give you that smooth play.  So basically when you have it all up and running you will always have little speed bumps and problems, this is normal, the joys of it. 

You got the game for 10 Euro, you cant go wrong really, start at the bottom slowly and add your software in. As i said though keep it realistic.  

Now I have a new question. Does Steam runs better than the normal fsx edition?

Jordan King does some great side by side and comparison videos, have a peep through these

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_Orz4jsvNeW22du80TITw/videos

It runs a bit better than FSX because Dovetail updated the Microsoft Visual from 2005 to 2010 and uses a later version of Microsoft.net (from version 1.1 to 4).  They couldn't change the code though.  The fact they install an older version of the uiautomationcore.dll (from XP) in the main FSX-SE folder by default shows it is still living off the old code.  Still they were able to update some of the textures and update the default FSX.cfg and that's why it runs much better.  P3D is also based off of the really old FSX code that Microsoft says cannot be changed.  It runs better too.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I understand the complexity of the flightsim.

I have fs9 on my system and the last 7 years I have spent lots of time learning and tweaking the simulator. I have collected a large ammount of addons (payware, freeware) My last system was too slow to run fs9 in this setup so thats why I got myself a new system.

I enjoy flying around in the Usa with airliners and I like airports with lots of traffic. This is what fs9 is doing great at my system. Got very high frame rate numbers at the most busy airports.

I realise that the eye candy of fs9 is not comparable with fsx but I also want a smooth running sim.

I will start with fsx, I want to learn this system too but Im not going invest lots of money in fsx.

We'll see. :-)

FS9 is definitely faster.  I remember when I upgraded my computer for FSX back in 2007 (the latest Dell XPS with quad-core) and decided to reinstall FS9 on my new system.  It was super fast even with max settings!  I had never seen that before with my old duo or single core system.  When I installed FSX, it wasn't super fast and I had to do a bit of tweaking.  Still wasn't fast.  I had some problems with stuttering, shimmering, texture rendering off and on for many years until Intel released Sandy Bridge cpu's.  I upgraded and installed FSX.  With default settings and no addons I was getting up to 200 fps and easily exceeded 100 fps.  I installed the GEX addon (it replaces and optimizes the default textures) and I was getting up to 300 fps and easily exceeding 200 fps.  Then I started adding many of my commercial addons and things went downhill from there.  I think you see the same thing happening with FS9.  It works great in default mode, not so great with the addons installed. 

You add commercial products (or even freeware stuff) and your instinct is to turn up the settings to get all of the eye-candy possible (and there is a lot of eye-candy with many developers like PMDG, FSDT, FS FlightBeam, REX, GEX/UTX, ASN, etc., etc.).  Unfortunately you cannot do that otherwise you will start seeing anomalies like freezes, crashes, stuttering, shimmering, and major pauses when textures are rendering.  Those ruin any enjoyment in learning the techniques of flying.  I keep my settings like those in the AVSIM FSX Config Guide.  Occasionally I will run into issues when I'm at or near airports that have a lot of eye-candy or the weather in ASN is horrible and I'm fighting major thunderstorms as well as trying to keep the sim running.  That happens but I know what caused it and sometimes adjust my settings in those areas.  Still, if they don't crash my sim, I'll continue on and suffer a few minutes of some stuttering and other anomalies but, when I get into the air, things get a lot better and I can sit back and continue to learn how to fly and how various components work.  For me, my enjoyment is to upgrade to the latest and greatest technology, like FSX, X-Plane, P3D and learn as much as I can in those sims.  I also enjoy upgrading to the latest and greatest computer technology too and one of these days hope I can enjoy flight simulation without the stuttering and other anomalies.  Unfortunately that may never happen as developers usually throw in even more eye-candy when new, more powerful systems are released.  Still, enjoy!

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

That was a good one to read. I have almost the same specs on my system as you have. You have a Sandybridge and got incredible frame rates. Ive got a I7 Haswell with up to 4 ghz speed.

Could those frame rates also be possible for me on my system?

Im sure I will keep fsx on my system. I want to understand and all about fsx.

Hi guys,

I have a question for you guys.

My current system has the following specs:

I7 4790

DDR3 16GB

Geforce GTX 970

Dark Power pro 10 650w

I just got myself a very cheap second hand version of FSX and now I want to try it on this system. I want to put it on a dedicated second 250g SSD card.

Is FSX going to run on this system? And in what way will it run with ai traffic and addons from FSDT and all?

Thanks in advance.

I have very similar specs and I find that P3D actually runs better than FSX on my system, plus I do not have to worry about OOM's and the visuals are far better, which include no autogen popping up right in front of you, volumetric clouds, cloud shadows, better lighting system, and a development team that continues to upgrade the product. Just wanted to pass that along for your consideration. I still fly FSX from time to time and like it, but FSX is in the rear view mirror for me.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I surely think Prepar3d can be the better option.