Sign in to follow this  
captain420

TrackIR 5 and P3D v3.x

I have been interested in getting TIR, but how well does it play with the latest version of P3D and add-ons such as EZDOK, and such? Are there any sort of problems before I purchase this? For example I play on a 30" monitor at 2560x1600 but plan on getting a 50" 4K TV later. Will the TIR experience be the same no matter the size or distance that I am from the display?

I see it retails for about $150 on Amazon. Does anyone know of a better place that I can get this for a lower price?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Works fine with V3 and Ezdok. That being said, I don't even bother using it anymore, since I fly only the Q400 and Airbus at high altitudes, and I find it more annoying than anything. I like it for low altitude VFR and looking around, but don't find it of much use for the type of flying I do now. YMMV. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bobsk8 interesting, thanks for your feedback. So you're saying TIR is more of an issue when it comes to flying IFR vs VFR? Why would you think TIR is annoying when flying tubeliners and such? Just curious. I thought it would make the experience better no matter what cockpit you're in. Since you can easily pan and move around.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Bobsk8 interesting, thanks for your feedback. So you're saying TIR is more of an issue when it comes to flying IFR vs VFR? Why would you think TIR is annoying when flying tubeliners and such? Just curious. I thought it would make the experience better no matter what cockpit you're in. Since you can easily pan and move around.

Don't like holding my head still when making adjustments in the VC, I have used Track IR for years on both flight sims and Railroad sims, so I know how to tweak the setups, At this point I just don't even bother starting it up anymore. On the other hand, for VFR flying in a Cessna, it is great.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Gotcha, thanks! I'll hold off on getting one then. 

I use TIR with EZDOK in P3Dv3 without a problem. I don't think I could go back to using the joystick to pan around the cockpit.

NAX669.png

I agree with Bob.

I have to be in the right mood to use tracker. If I just want to kick back and chill whilst flying I don't really use it. Its annoying having to sit dead still all the time. You don't realise how much you move around until you use trackIR.

I also use it for VFR stuff like in the Comanche and light aircraft. All the commercial jets I tend not to  use it for anymore.

I don't ly without it. I find it much easier to use that EZDOK. If you're just sitting in a tube and pushing buttons, it is not necessary BUT if set up properly can be a plus.

I have a toggle on my yoke that turns it on or off so holding my head still is not an issue. Just depends on what you get used to but for me, it's a big plus especially f you are hand flying the a/c.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Aaron, the size of your monitor should have no effect on your experience with TIR other than bigger will probably look better. I have TIR with a triple monitor setup and I love using it when flying and site-seeing over ORBX regions in the Realair Lancair Legacy with its bubble canopy. On the other hand I am looking forward to getting a large 4k TV for the expanded cockpit views so I won't have to use TIR when flying the complex aircraft where your time is spent mostly fiddling with the instrument panel as opposed to viewing the scenery. I am hoping I'll be able to see just about the whole panel so I can set the TIR aside in this case. I've always intended to setup TIR control buttons on my yoke as Vic mentioned but never got around to it.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

First, if you get motion sickness don't bother. I've always found it a nuisance because the lighting in your room could effect the head movement.

As Bobsk8 states, it's more useful for GA, vfr etc. type of flying. And no need to pan with the joystick if you use EZDOK. I use the middle mouse button to have smooth panning and it's much better than using the hat button on my Saitek.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I've always found it a nuisance because the lighting in your room could effect the head movement.

I only ever had problems with Track Ir with direct Sunlight shinning against the little sensor, (just close your curtains)   apart from that Track Ir works a treat, amazing ad on

Also it did take me a little time to get used to the Motion of it