Sign in to follow this  
Usmcmba

My new thoughts on Monitor setup / Occulus Rift

I have been using a 42" screen for flight sim for the past couple years. Recently I finally got a chance to tour the Dreamlifter, the 747 LCF at work and my whole thoughts on monitor setup and possibility of using the Occulus Rift for commercial jets have totally changed after going into the flight deck. 

The first observation in the cockpit is just how large the screens were for the Primary Flight Display, Navigation Display and EICAS. I have been inside the 787's cockpit many times and know they have really large displays, but after simming for a few years and getting used to how small the PFD, ND and EICAS appear on the monitor in FSX and now P3D, I was really surprised just how large the display is in real life, I would say each display inside the 747 is at least 8"x8", if not, larger. Another observation I made is the 42" monitor is almost the same size as the one side of the front windshields.

My original plan was to get the Occulus Rift for flying the 777 etc, however I am starting to think the Rift would probably be best for flying with an HUD situation like a fighter, maybe 737NG with HUD. For large and complex cockpits, the best way would appear to have a monitor around 42" to replicate what one side of the windshield, and a second monitor, possibly a 25" 21:9 aspect monitor to display the PFD, ND and EICAS beneath it... 

Just some thoughts.