Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

DA Cheyenne VC Nobs

Hi Folks,

Seems like the Digital Aviation site is completely gone... If I recall correctly there was an ini file setting to remove the nobs of the Trimble so you can swap out the unit with an RXP one... I've searched both the aircraft hierarchy and the web - can't find anything... Does anyone recall how to remove the Trimble nobs ?

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

I found this on another forum:

There is a cfg file in C:Documents and settings/Application data/Digital Aviation/PA31 Cheyenne folder called PA31.cfg If you open that file with Notepad and look at the bottom for a line that says "UseTrimble=1", you can change that to "UseTrimble=0"

What this does is allow you to use the GPS 500 (default GPS) or other GPS, instead of the Trimble GPS in the Cheyenne. The Trimble is not that easy to get used to, and the database is, I believe, a bit older than the default GPS, so it's missing some upto date data.

Changing that 1 to a 0 also removes the 3d knobs from the trimble in VC mode, so you can replace that gauge with another GPS. I've tried this, and I didn't have much successs with the GNS 530 WAAS. It was too big really. You can resize it I know, but it didn't "look" right.

If you can use the Trimble, stick with it. I say this because using the default GPS 500 has it's own problems integrating with the Nav system. Pressing the Nav on the Autopilot for instance doesn't work, but pressing Appr does. Wierd I know, but that's how it is.

If you really want to use the default GPS 500, or other add on GPS (like the GNS 530w) then you will need to edit the "Panel.cfg" files for each Cheyenne (I, IA, II, and IIXL). You do this by adding a window for the GPS. Or in my case editing an existing window.

Open these "Panel.cfg" files in Notepad, and find the line that starts "Window03" it's assigned to "Fuel" I changed this to "Window03=GPS" You may choose another window if you like, but pick one you don't use okay.

Then scroll down the page and find "[Window03]" and replace it with this:

[Window03]

size_mm=456,378

window_size=0.3

position=8

BACKGROND_COLOR=0,0,0

VISIBLE=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

This will let you press <shift>4 to bringup the GPS 500 and use that instead of the Trimble. This is only a basic modification, and I accept no liablity if things go wrong. You do this at your own risk okay.

I hope it helps explain things anyway.

Tony

Lol Shaun beat me to it lol. But I go into more detail

default_tongue.png

Edited to <shift>4, as 4 is the correct key not 3 as I previously stated

default_smile.png

Regards,

Scott

Hi Folks,

Just a final confirmation - above procedure works - swapped Trimble with RXP GNS430W - everything seems to work and the plane flies flawlessly - no anomalies noted...

Regards,

Scott