Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

New laptop, ONE internal hard drive. Where to install FSX?

I know it is better to install FSX 10 in a separate drive and in a separate root folder.  But my new Windows 10 8-GB laptop has only one drive.  Should I install FSX in a different partition? Or just in the root of C:?  Thanks.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

You have an 8GB HDD? I hope that is a misprint

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

You can install it on the default location, that's totally ok. Just be sure to run everything (especially addons installers) as admin and you won't have a problem ;)

@Charliearon, Sorry. 8 GB RAM 1 TB hard disk.

@Stefano, the default location is at Program Files (86).  That's not generally advised but are you saying that is ok so long as I have admin rights when I install the programs?

So which is the better choice when you only have one drive in a laptop, FSX in a separate folder in the system partition C: or FSX on a separate partition like D:?

Thanks.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Just be careful when installing new things and you'll have no problem installing it at Program Files.

There is a never-ending debate over installing FSX in the default location versus somewhere else. Some folks have had problems with the default location while others have not. But, I don't recall anyone ever having a problem with FSX when installed outside the default location. If it were me, I'd simply make a new folder, name it something like "C:\FSX", install it there, and avoid the whole issue.

Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Go for C:\FSX.

Easy when entering path for addon programs. Program Files (x86) has special protection which is unnecessary for FSX.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

But, I don't recall anyone ever having a problem with FSX when installed outside the default location. If it were me, I'd simply make a new folder, name it something like "C:\FSX", install it there, and avoid the whole issue.

^^^Precisely this!

If I had a nickel for every post I've read over the years from people crying out in frustration that they can't save their edited panel.cfg or aircraft.cfg file, I'd have a fat 401k retirement account!

Yes, you can drag a copy to the desktop, edit it, save it, then drag the revised file back to the sim, but why should you have to go to such ridiculous extremes to edit/save a simple config file? :shok:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I re-installed FSX yesterday, I also read you shouldn't install it into (Program Files x86), but ever since I got FSX about four years ago, nothing ever went wrong. Just make sure to start FSX as admin and you should be on your way!

OK, that answers part 1 of the question. I'll install it in the root folder. Thank you. Next question, where do I install the FSX folder - in drive C: or in a separate partition (please note that this is a laptop with ONLY ONE internal disk drive and space is not an issue). Thanks.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Don't partition. Install to C:\FSX.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If you have an optical drive, you can replace that with a hard drive with an adaptor, preferably your current HDD, then get a SSD and fit that into where your hard drive once was. Also get a USB to SATA cable so you will still have an optical drive if needed.

Don't partition. Install to C:\FSX.

+1. As Ray said, just create a folder called FSX on your C drive and install it there. There is absolutely no need to put FSX on a separate drive.

Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Run as Admin, turn UAC down, & all will be perfect. That's how it is on my laptop, with 3x FS9's, & 1x P3D.

But then, that's just me & the way I've always done it. No partitions.

Please dont shout at me, this has always worked for me & the 20 odd PC's/laptops that I've installed the sims on. Never an issue.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...