Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

New laptop, ONE internal hard drive. Where to install FSX?

Kids have no interest because they can't shoot anything down or blow anything up. Yes, there are exceptions. When I took my setup to Manchester Airport's Concorde hangar and flew that great aircraft in FSX there was interest from some teenagers on how to fly it and trying to land. I suppose being under the starboard wing of an actual Concorde made it more it more interesting. :smile:

Dovetail's new simulator arriving in 2016 may offer more of the things that appeal to kids. The main competitor to FSX is P3D which is updated regularly by LM and is the obvious upgrade once you tire of FSX.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The only laptop that impressed me was the Dell Alienware but at 8lbs it's not one I would want on my lap! :shok:

It runs at 3.5Ghz and can't be overclocked. :sad:

Doesn't matter what kids think. They haven't our experience. For FSX top performance only a desktop can give ultimate deliver.

Look at it this way Ray, I was once a faithful Dell owner...operative word here is ONCE, until I started to see that Dell's "custom" laptops were no longer consumer customized, at least not like the way Alienware ran things.  Origin is run by the former Alienware Gods and if you looked on their site, you can see that you can customize a whole lot more.  Their services are just as good, if not better than Dell and customer service is much more attentive.

I'll shut up now about that...

As for younger generations interests, yes it would be nice if they looked to things like flight simulation.  Oh well, you can lead a horse to water....

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jim, I love the EON specs except for the weight and probably the price too (which is not clearly listed in their web page).  I can't tell if it'll take a subwoofer.  I just love hearing that deep engine growl and rumble.  If you don't mind my asking, how much it it cost?

The younger generation is probably the only hope of getting FSX completely revised for the current generation of 64-bit software and hardware. LM's business model for the PSD won't significantly expand the consumer base.

I'm unfamiliar with Dovetail, but I'm hoping they come up with an upgraded high fidelity simulator whose military models can also shoot and damage. Not just a game though. Flying high fidelity military models in FSX which can not shoot and damage  is like having you know what while using condo.. err... gloves.  :-)

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Look at it this way Ray, I was once a faithful Dell owner...operative word here is ONCE, until I started to see that Dell's "custom" laptops were no longer consumer customized, at least not like the way Alienware ran things.  Origin is run by the former Alienware Gods and if you looked on their site, you can see that you can customize a whole lot more.  Their services are just as good, if not better than Dell and customer service is much more attentive.

-Jim

Jim,

I can understand why you bought your laptop if it was from those who designed the Alienware kit. The beauty of laptops is their portability. Each month at our flight sim meeting I have to take my desktop system apart and transport it to the hut then reassemble it.

That's where a laptop would appeal. The Alienware type of laptops are in a league of their own albeit at a price. And the customising is a real asset.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Unfortunately, Dell is cashing in on the Alienware name, because that's what they paid for with the acquisition.  As for Alienware quality and customer service, it's a major fail.  At my office, it's all Dell equipment, which is ok, but not great.  In any case, anyone who knows what Alienware used to be like (as well as how Alienware was one of the first companies building and selling "boutique" machines).  Origin continues that tradition and while cost is always a mojor point to consumers, I can say as a consumer, that you get your money's worth.

Btw, I am not paid to say these things, just an honest, guy-on-the-street opinion.

Portability is what I needed as well as power.  Anyone here who uses a laptop for flight simulation would agree.  We shouldn't be bashed for it, especially if we have good specs.  The stigma that laptops are underperforming desktops is becoming a blurred subject nowadays.

Ok, I think I personally hijacked the thread, my apologies to the OP.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit