Sign in to follow this  
meesterlijk

Migrating from fs9 to fsx

Hi guys,

I'm planning to migrate from fs9 to fsx. I want to have both copies of the sim existing next to eachother on my system.

Im planning to add a extra SSD especially for fsx. Some folks recommended me to do this so fsx will run better.

Is there some thread for migrating plans?

I have loads of addons on my fs9 and I know some addons like fsdt addons are for both sims without using the creditcard again. I have Klax (v2), klas, kjfk, kord, kdfw so these sceneries can be put on my fsx as well.

Second question: I have a huge folder with ai-aircraft. I love it to have the newest flight plans with the newest liveries so I often use AiFp to manage my traffic. Is it possible to copy-paste this folder into fsx? (I'm sure it is possible)

Will it work with fsx without big problems?

Thanks in advance!

please migrate to p3dv3.1 instead you wount regret it.

Current version p3dv3  is miles ahead in graphics.

Nealr needed sun glasses for the first time in sim due to bloom effects in p3d, and the bllom don't tax your cpu like fsx.

If you gona make effort to migrate, migrate to the front of the line, not the halfway house.

I migrated from fsx to p3d when not many addons supported by p3d, then I migrated back to fsx, then back to p3dv2.5, and now by version 3, all the usual add-ons are supported or can made work with Estonia migration tool.

Graphics youll be missing in p3d means the F in FSX aint worth the cpu anymore.

Okay. Thats a nice suggestion.

Question then:

I have an I7 4790 (up to 4 ghz)

Geforce GTX 970

16gb Ram

Can this system run prepar3d with addons and ai-traffic smoothly? (or acceptable)

Hi guys,

I'm planning to migrate from fs9 to fsx. I want to have both copies of the sim existing next to eachother on my system.

Im planning to add a extra SSD especially for fsx. Some folks recommended me to do this so fsx will run better.

Is there some thread for migrating plans?

I have loads of addons on my fs9 and I know some addons like fsdt addons are for both sims without using the creditcard again. I have Klax (v2), klas, kjfk, kord, kdfw so these sceneries can be put on my fsx as well.

Second question: I have a huge folder with ai-aircraft. I love it to have the newest flight plans with the newest liveries so I often use AiFp to manage my traffic. Is it possible to copy-paste this folder into fsx? (I'm sure it is possible)

Will it work with fsx without big problems?

Thanks in advance!

Migration thread - no.

SSD - yes.

AI - Flight plans need to be converted into FSX format while the models will work without a hitch.

Check FS9 model compatibility if you want to consider P3D. Last I know is that FS9 format models don't display well.

FSX reqires a fast CPU. If yours has 3 GHz or less, you'll have to keep some sliders down.

- E:

Just seen your last reply. You hardware's fine.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Do you already own FSX?  If so, then that's the least expensive route.

The other option is P3D.  The professional license is $199.00 or you can get the academic license for $59.95.  

I am amazed by the number of students that seem to frequent AVSIM.

Ernest Pergrem

@Mees

1. Go for P3D academic licence it what 99% are using and reasonably priced

2 Many are reporting getting good perf with p3d compared to FSX on not so high end machines, just don't try to compare sliders, in that respect its different sim. Cause much more graphic options now in p3d, and the shadows volume clouds is just no brainer for switching from fs9

3. Less stutters more VAS

4. Best to start with p3dv3.1 cause its gona be out this month

System running 4Ghz is good enough for p3d, and your gpu is current, which is good enough.

FSX  is over when you see p3dv3 graphics. Still cant get over the shadow effects in cockpit. Close that fsx already please.

By the way, what am I dong in this forum :fool:

@mees

Keep your fs9 install for reasons

Keep your fs9 install for flying while you setup p3d and get it stable.

I use my FS2004, 3x versions including my beloved "Golden Wings' as well as P3D..

Stay away from FSX.

As far as compatibility with FS9 & P3D.. Consider P3D as a completely new sim. If you try put FS9 stuff into it, you will be disappointed.  FS9 add-ons are optimised for FS9, P3D's for P3D!!. Yes, some will work.

Have fun & academically speaking, keep on learning!! :wink:

:p0503:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hi Folks,

Same boat - as a die hard FS9 guy - working on getting up to speed - only been buying P3D enabled apps... This is helpful...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Guest JustanotherPilot

Okay. Thats a nice suggestion.

Question then:

I have an I7 4790 (up to 4 ghz)

Geforce GTX 970

16gb Ram

Can this system run prepar3d with addons and ai-traffic smoothly? (or acceptable)

More than adequate, I have the 4790K no overclocking, the GTX 680 and numerous scenery, traffic and other addons. Prepar3D v3 runs flawlessly, unlike FSX and FSX:SE which often gave OOM and CTD errors. Like other's I strongly suggest you forget about FSX and go straight to Prepar3D...it is an evolving product, FSX and FSX:SE have pretty well run their course.

Allright guys. Thanks alot.

My current Fsx is a second hand copy that I have bought on "marktplaats" for only €10. I thought: lets give it a try.

I think I will put it on Marktplaats again for €15 so it will become profitable. ;-)

Im going for prepar3d. The system will run it and I think I will go on the prepar3d path just easy and steady. Fs9 is something that will never be deleted from my system and it still is very great fun for me. Yesterday I made a short trip from Boston to Dulles in my QW757 and it is just beautiful departing with frame rates reaching into the 70's.

Prepar3d will be something to invest in for the future.

Thanks again for your replies!

Hi Folks,

One more thought - I may do some upgrades - going from 8GB@1600 RAM to 16GB at a faster speed buy you anything with P3D ??? I've got a bit older machine 2700K@4.5Ghz and Nvidia 570... From others it seems that a better video card offers improvements even though as most present day sims P3D is still heavily CPU bound...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7