Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Do you have a favorite Nvidia driver? Crash problem!

I always keep up with the latest Nvidia video driver.   However, I'm not sure that I should, because I do get one "crash to taskbar" every single time I fly.  It could be early in the flight, or late in the flight, but I guarantee I'll get at least one during an FSX session.  I have to "rapidly click the FSX icon" in the task bar, and the flight will come up PAUSED, and I just have to hit P to get it going again.

I feel this crash is related to the video driver...what else could it be?  I've re-installed FSX and all addons about 5 weeks ago, and there should be no corruptions.  Perhaps an older driver would be best with FSX.  I never see Nvidia mentioning FSX when they update a driver...it's always for other games that they improve the driver, it seems.

Stan

Currently 353.06, prior drivers used with no issue: 337.50 / 331.82 / 327.23 / 320.49 all on nvidia 580 and 780 cards (I have 2 rigs)

If it's not VAS depletion, I would most likely back up my cfg and try a virgin one with HIGHMEMFIX=1 as the only tweek and see what happens.

You may have a lot of [TRUSTED] dll's to approve upon rebooting with a fresh cfg but that's not really a bad thing, especially if you don't approve/load stuff your not flying/using of late.

Frank L.T

I constantly get the nvidia kernel driver crashes, and then a recovery... This morning my screen wouldn't even turn on, had to open up the case and vaccuum it out. It works, for now. But nvidia needs to fix the kernel drivers!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I've done the new Cfg thing. I always use HIGHMEMFIX=1 on all my new cfgs.  ASNext wants to add affinity mask, and I always agree.  Should I?

Stan

I've always run Affinity Mask (84 on my 8 core, and 14 on my quad core) without issue and ASN doesn't change what I set. But if your not setting it yourself what is ASNext setting it to for you?

In some cases you may not want or even need that setting in the cfg and it doesn't hurt anything to comment it out and see what happens. I use ASNext along with TrackIR and UT2 and GTN's. I also have FSUIPC so I can monitor VAS quickly and for the dll it provides which is supposed to help with certain fsx crash scenarios. Is fsx your only program that exhibits this behavior? How about theUIAutomationCore.dll?

Also, I'm still on (and staying with) W7 Home Edition on both my rigs and am very careful about what windows updates I allow (manually) to be installed to the OS. Both my rigs are on the original OS and FSX installs for 3 and 5 years respectively, and most every occassional crash I've ever experienced I can say is VAS related so I use FSUIPC which rings an audible bell sound when I get close to a shutdown of fsx.  And believe me with all the addons I run at the same time (mentioned above) and all the scenery and plane related dlls running coupled with my addiction to running very high graphic settings I'm surprised I don't melt down more often than I do.

I don't believe I've ever suffered a problem as a result of a video driver and all of the ones I've mentioned above were very stable for me if I kept my graphic settings reasonable. I also do not change drivers unless I read convincing info that there is a benefit or feature added that makes sense. fsx is ancient history software (and so are the steam and various P3Ds even though actively being fixed - they are still the same old base code). Nvidia driver updating seems to be aimed at the most currently released games. fsx in dx9 is the only "game" I play. If a driver release does provide any benefit to fsx I'd be willing to bet that it's purely accidental.

I'd also venture a guess that if any of the above drivers I mentioned doesn't resolve the issue then you problem lies elsewhere.

Frank L.T

Stan,

I've been using 353.62 and have been very satisfied with it.  I plan on running it until I have problems then I will update to the latest.

Blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Guest JustanotherPilot

358.50 seems fine with my GTX 680, I tried 358.91 but I had all sorts of display issues so had to rollback to 358.58, all good now

Thanks for the input.  Seems FSX is different after I upgraded to Windows 10.  Upon startup, there is a 15 second stop and then it starts up again and all is OK.  However, I can count on at least 1 crash to taskbar every flight.  No big deal, because I just click on the FSX icon in the taskbar multiple times until it comes up again.  I've tried all kinds of tweaks to the config, including deleting the cfg. and starting over again.  Nothing works.. More of an inconvenience than anything else, but I sure would like to solve these little issues.

Stan