Sign in to follow this  
davidjpowell1974

FSX to P3D Pricing policy....

At the end of the day, it's PMDGs right to do whatever they want, including folding tomorrow without releasing anything ever anymore.

So you have to figure out for yourself if it's worth it. I decided I wasn't going to pay the full price for the same addon again, so PMDG didn't get P3D business from me. You can decide the same, or different, and that is your right.

I might get the 747 for P3D. We'll see.

My take on all this is that FSX & P3d are 2 different & separate programs, with the first aimed at entertainment & the second erm.. not for entertainment. The pricings have been debated ad nauseum, & the pricing policy, if you are moving o P3D is to buy whatever you want, at the vendor's current price. Can you imagine asking Microsoft for a discount when going from Office 2013 to Office 2016?

So, your choice..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I purchased the NGX and 777 for FSX, and then upgraded to P3Dv3.  I was prepared to pay for the P3D licence for the NGX, but the P3D licence for the 777 - at $134.99 - was just more than I was willing (or to be honest, able) to pay.   

But businesses are free to set their own prices - and customers are free to then choose whether to buy or not. 

My solution?   Although I was a full time P3Dv3 user at this point, I re-installed FSX, to make it solely my "777 simulator"  :smile:     ...... I configured everything about it, for use with the 777, eg, no Orbx small airports, no regions, just Orbx Global, Vector, and then my large airport addons.

It's working out great.    FSX for the 777, and P3Dv3 literally for everything else.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Something to remember, we, the consumer, do not OWN the software, when it is purchased.  We purchased the LICENSE to run it (see John V's post over at ORBX).  With all of the changes of code that was done for the P3D version, it is understandable that PMDG set the pricing point where they did because part of that cost was for licensing to Lockheed Martin.  I think, for most of us, we wound up buying FSX versions of PMDG aircraft first, not realizing that when the P3D version was released, that we would not be getting any discount.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I think, for most of us, we wound up buying FSX versions of PMDG aircraft first, not realizing that when the P3D version was released, that we would not be getting any discount.

-Jim

How can anyone expect a discount when using a totally different platform? Did guys really expect, when they got P3D, to get their PMDG library of add-ons for free?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

How can anyone expect a discount when using a totally different platform? Did guys really expect, when they got P3D, to get their PMDG library of add-ons for free?

Don't go misquoting me Wobbie.  I never stated free.  If you break down costs for A2A aircraft, you can choose one platform or multiple, you see a pricing difference that is a bit reasonable.  Again, that is just an example.  I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Sorry Jim, I am sorry if I came across that way. Getting discount is getting something for free, maybe not 100%.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

For those of us not paid in US$ consider purchasing either the 737 or 777 from Aerosoft's download store.Their euro price seems to be best price around.

PMDG777 download 102 euros. The PMDG737 download is 68 euros. Note these are VAT free so for the Aussies, Kiwis the Canadians and anyone else who has to put up with high US$ exchange rates I don't think they can be beaten.

That 777 at 102 euros is now US110.00 or AU$152.00. If I had bought it at the PMDG store like I did with my 4 PMDG FSX aircraft it would have cost me AU$185.00.

Cheers

David Howe

howevr

Sorry Jim, I am sorry if I came across that way. Getting discount is getting something for free, maybe not 100%.

I see where you are coming from, and I apologize for the curt response.

-Jim

My take on all this is that FSX & P3d are 2 different & separate programs, with the first aimed at entertainment & the second erm.. not for entertainment.... Can you imagine asking Microsoft for a discount when going from Office 2013 to Office 2016?

With respect, that's not the same thing. The correct comparison would be using MS Office 2007 on Windows Vista Home Basic and then using it on Windows 7 Professional. Which you can do at no extra charge.

Most of my FS2004 addons worked in FSX at little or no extra charge, so given there is a precedent I don't see it as an unreasonable expectation in general terms. P3D is not a "totally different platform" because most FSX addons can be ported with minor tweaks. A totally different platform would be Xplane 10, that would require a lot of new code.

As I've mentioned precedents it's only fair to mention that when PMDG upgraded their 747 from FS9 to FSX, they didn't offer any discounts and you had to repurchase; they have been consistent in their upgrade pricing policy. Although (please correct me if I am wrong) I believe you could use the FS9 PMDG 747 in FSX without issue, whereas in the case of P3D you must upgrade because of the licensing issues.

To avoid any flames, I would once again like to state that any developer is perfectly entitled to price their products however they see fit, indeed as private companies they have a duty to maximise profits for their shareholders. But if I don't think pricing is reasonable, I won't spend my money on it.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Most of my FS2004 addons worked in FSX at little or no extra charge, so given there is a precedent I don't see it as an unreasonable expectation in general terms. P3D is not "totally different platform" because most FSX addons can be ported with only a few tweaks. A totally different platform would require a lot of new code, such as Xplane 10.

It might not be a wholly different platform, but it definitely is a different environment, and therein lies the issue. This is the one that people don't fully understand (or, seemingly, conveniently ignore).

See the quote in my earlier post:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/479451-fsx-to-p3d-pricing-policy/?p=3336076#entry3336076

Kyle Rodgers

I appreciate PMDG explaining their reasoning on the matter (which I know they/you didn't have to do) and understand why PMDG have chosen their P3D prices; additional licensing needs paying and the professional environment/market is being targeted. But as you mentioned in your earlier post, I'm one of those very cost averse people (I'm the type who buys expiring food stuffs for the discount)!

DTG's Flight based simulator is slated for release next year, perhaps I will wait and see what that brings to the table in terms of addons and pricing.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Not for free, but a discount was expected by many based on several factors, such as:

-Robs announcements - while he did never explicitely promise a discount, he said repeatedly he'll try to see if he can find a way. In the end PMDG offered introductory pricing on P3D products which is kind of neither here nor there, as it was available for limited time only and to all customers, including those who didn't own FSX version.

-Industry standard - all major FS publishers up to that time included some kind of discount and/or license transfer scheme up to that point, including A2A, who offered to exchange anyones FSX product to P3D Academic line at no cost at the point of split. I took advantage of that offer, and now own a P3D Cessna 172 Trainer.

(Of course, no other FS publisher was in quite the same situation as PMDG is regarding legal situation and contracts with manufacturers)

With respect, that's not the same thing. The correct comparison would be using MS Office 2007 on Windows Vista Home Basic and then using it on Windows 7 Professional. Which you can do at no extra charge.

It's more like... getting a student license and then getting a new one for another PC after you are no longer a student, or taking your home license and using it in your business..

• Upvote 1

PMDG need to start deleting these posts on prices. We see the exact some post every few weeks and PMDG have made their positions clear months ago. I agree the price is steep but it is what it is. Time to move on. Next people will be expecting a discount on the 747!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I also think that this thread should be locked. I thought discussions about pricing was against PMDG rules!