Sign in to follow this  
Topher

GTN 750 Integration/Questions

I am running a similar performance system (i7 4790k @ 4.0Ghz, 4GB GTX 970) and don't think I have seen any noticeable performance degradation.

Generally it's a very impressive system. My only disappointment is that there are no charts available for Europe. I knew this before I bought it, but it is a big drawback if you are mostly flying in Europe (I live in UK).

Ok I shall take that into consideration on the performance side of things, I fly completely in Northern America mostly CONUS so that isn't an issue :)

To be precise, it appears that charts are only available for US airports. No charts for Canada either, or for anywhere else in the world. Just the US.

Safetaxi charts are available,  Approach Charts are not.. (U.S. only)

Bert

Just found that out on approach into Calgary Springbank...guess a tablet turned EFB is still necessary! Or maybe charts on another screen.

Fltplan.com provides coverage for USA and Canada, and their FltPlan Go app for the iPad and Android tablets provides flight planning, weather and winds aloft reports, charts, real time flight tracking (with your computer and tablet both connected to the same wifi network), and a multitude of EFB type tools. I have no affiliation with FltPlan, but really like the site and the app and would not fly without either,   Here is a link to a topic showing many of the apps features:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471387-fltplan-go-app-for-ipad-way-cool/

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Fltplan.com provides coverage for USA and Canada, and their FltPlan Go app for the iPad and Android tablets provides flight planning, weather and winds aloft reports, charts, real time flight tracking (with your computer and tablet both connected to the same wifi network), and a multitude of EFB type tools. I have no affiliation with FltPlan, but really like the site and the app and would not fly without either,   Here is a link to a topic showing many of the apps features:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/471387-fltplan-go-app-for-ipad-way-cool/

I see...does look good, thanks!

Can anyone confirm that you do not need to install or have the supplied software running while using the GTN?

Speaking to different friends who have the gauge and getting some conflicting reports...

If by supplied software you mean the GTN trainer with a ~2GB download size, then you need to install them, but running them in background is unnecessary.

Even though they do make a good EFB while flying in the States if you have a second screen..but who need that when you could undock your F1 GTN and put that there instead!

Still fun to play around all by itself, though.

Yes it was the GTN Trainer I was referring to. Just seems like a big download if it doesn't even need to be running.

I repeat...You do need it installed for code and data as F1 GTN installer indicated, which are themselves largely an interface to link the trainer into the sim.

Otherwise it won't work.

Ok so I took the plunge and picked up the GTN750, its a great piece of kit.

The only thing I have found with it so far is the moving around the map, when I click and drag to move on the map it doesn't move despite "Pan Mode" being shown on the black bar at the bottom of the GPS screen?

Afraid I can't help. When I go to HOME and select MAP and put the mouse pointer on the map, I can drag the map up/down/sidewase without doing anything further.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

This typically only works in the popup gauge, not the one in the VC.

Bert

I've found VC gauges don't work so well with this for some reason.  It seemed to work better in the original GTN releases.  I can pan the map but creating a drag and drop "rubberband' flight plan is tough.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've found VC gauges don't work so well with this for some reason.  It seemed to work better in the original GTN releases.  I can pan the map but creating a drag and drop "rubberband' flight plan is tough.

Click and drag to move the map works well for me on the VC gauge as well as the popup.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049