Sign in to follow this  
cougar2501

Ray Smith's great scenery

Can someone please explain to me how to get Ray Smith's great scenery packages to work in P3D v3 ?

I have created a separate folder for all my addon airports and have pointed to them via the scenery library to pick up and add various airports, only problem is none of the buildings show up.?

I know Ray often included an OBJ file with his sceneries which had to go in the texture folder of the global scenery file, I think !

Is it a case of just doing the same in P3D V3 or is it a different process ?

It would be a great shame to lose these terrific files...

Phil Densley

yeah I would love to see these work in P3D as well.  I see someone in the AVSIM library is updating them but Ray did a ton of airports. 

I tried installing a couple freeware FSX scenery airports.  The buildings and runways seemed to load ok but the taxi ways were covered over with ground textures. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I'm afraid there's a few steps involved in converting the AFCAD files from FSX to P3D, I use Airport Design Editor from fsdeveloper. There are steps involved that have to do with resetting the taxi links so that they show up in P3D and then saving AND compiling the new version of the airport. The compiling is crucial. Some Ray Smith AFCADs have already been converted but there are others that need converting. The manual can be slightly confusing, but eventually you get the hang of it. Not all AFCADs convert properly.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airport-design-editor.95/

1st you save it, then you compile it. Make sure that you use the compiled version and not the saved version in P3D.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I'm afraid there's a few steps involved in converting the AFCAD files from FSX to P3D, I use Airport Design Editor from fsdeveloper. There are steps involved that have to do with resetting the taxi links so that they show up in P3D and then saving AND compiling the new version of the airport. The compiling is crucial. Some Ray Smith AFCADs have already been converted but there are others that need converting. The manual can be slightly confusing, but eventually you get the hang of it. Not all AFCADs convert properly.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airport-design-editor.95/

1st you save it, then you compile it. Make sure that you use the compiled version and not the saved version in P3D.

Lee - I agree with you as I did the same as I used Airport Design Editor from fsdeveloper. Rays scenery worked great for FSX but problems with taxiways in P3. 

I also added additional buildings and other things and added more water tanks around KROC as I base most of my flights into and out of KROC and KBUF (FLYTAMPA)

Nick Sciortino

Ray often includes custom models and object libraries that if you don't have imported into your version of ADE will cause the buildings to not show up. The Taxiway fix is easy, it's getting the buildings to show up once compiled.  It only takes a bit of practice but works fine once your object library is built up.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I just reset the flags for the Taxi links in ADE and recompile. Takes maybe a minute per airport. Minimal effort required. 5 clicks at the most maybe?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong by thinking it's too easy. I should pay attention to the object libraries to make sure I'm doing this right.

I just reset the flags for the Taxi links in ADE and recompile. Takes maybe a minute per airport. Minimal effort required. 5 clicks at the most maybe?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong by thinking it's too easy. I should pay attention to the object libraries to make sure I'm doing this right.

Easy way to check is to look around the jetways, you may find lots of missing terminal extensions connecting the jetways to the terminals.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Usually Ray Smith's files come with an obj.bgl, just put that in the Global/scenery directory. Often that supplies the missing objects. Not all work, but a lot do.

I've always said, I'd rather have a good Ray Smith AFCAD for a default airport instead of a lousy scenery for that same airport.

Do a search on Robert Catherall, he seems to have converted a number of RS Afcads already.

• Upvote 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Hello,

Some airports are updated for P3D V3 and are available on Flightsim.com in the P3d Library

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64