Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Earth Simulations - A Tribute

I wonder will it install in V3

Beware, Earthsim update the default autogen files, (this was the reason for their conflict with Orbx) - if LM has moved or protected these files for V3 then install will probably fail.

Installation of ESI titles was always an issue, with a perverse installer...

But well worth it as done right they are THE best scenery you can get.

I used to fly chipmunks with the ATC from Shawbury...and flying out of the ESI Shawbury Fields has been the most realistic simming I've ever done.

Cheers

Keith

Just about anything worthwhile will need to update the autogen files.  Would be nice if P3D would do this already and save the conflict.

Saw how cheap it was and ordered it myself! The only ES scenery I don't have and will give me somewhere else UK to fly in the Q400!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have just completed a quick take off, circuit and landing at EGCV Sleap using the Earth Simulations Shawbury Fields package and PlayHorizon VFR GenX photographic scenery, and it made me think of Darren and Vicky Vincent. I have no idea what they are doing now, or where they are, but I do want to say a big Thank You to both of them for creating some truly wonderful scenery packages. In fact, I think that I would be in flight simulation nirvana if I could have the entire British Isles rendered with the quality and attention to detail exhibited by the Shawbury Fields package. I have all of the Earth Simulations collection, and they are without doubt my favourite scenery areas to fly around. There is something very magical about being able to look down and see so much detail that you can almost believe that you really are flying above a real world landscape.

There is so much to see in Earth Simulations products. I have owned them for several years, and yet I have never really taken the time to explore them in detail......but it doesn't matter. Just knowing that all of that detail is there whenever I decide to go looking for it is enough to give me a thrill. I never grow tired of flying to the same airfields in ES products, because I know that the experience will always bring a smile to my face. That level of detail is always a pleasure to see. Alderney, Guernsey, the Isles of Scilly, Shawbury Fields, and the Isle of Man......they are all masterpieces.

The sad part of this tale is that we will not see another release from Earth Simulations. I was so looking forward to ES Jersey, and maybe even ES Isle of Wight. They would both have been fantastic products, and a part of me wishes (hopes) that, somewhere in a secret place.....away from the trials and tribulations of the real world.....Darren and Vicky are preparing to reveal another two works of art that will astonish the FS world.

I like to think that I had a good relationship with Darren and Vicky. They were always so kind to me, and in return I tried to promote their products wherever I could. It was a pleasure to do so, and extremely easy. After all, the quality was there for all to see! Some people hated the ES Installer, and to some extent I can understand that. It was different from most of the other product installers in the FS world, although I never really had a problem with it. Nevertheless, I can appreciate that this has caused some problems since Earth Simulations ceased trading. That is a shame, because they really are some of the best flight simulation scenery packages ever developed. Whatever you think of ES and/or the ES Installer, the quality of the software was second to none.

All that's left for me to say now is...........God bless both of you, wherever you are. I would love to hear from you, although I understand if you are no longer interested in the world of flight simulation. Best wishes for the future, and thank you for the memories!

Thanks Christopher. I thought that Darren & Vicky met with JV and that there was a possibility that they would join the ORBX team.

I'm in the US. Please list the ones that you recommend and a link. I've seen Isle of Man and I have always wanted that scenery.

Thanks again!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I recommend them all, mate!

Isle of Man

Isles of Scilly

Guernsey

Alderney

Shawbury Fields (VFR GenX photoscenery Volume 2 required)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ok great.   I am going to get me some of that fancy scenery.

Will report back 

I gotta admit it took me hours to install the Isle of Man scenery last night. I installed it three times and each time it kept hanging at certain points. I did a search only to find other people were having terrible trouble installing from the box edition.

I then found a link to a document that explains how to install it from the disc (will post the link when I get home). The key thing is that you have to disconnect from the Internet to install it otherwise the installer tries to download the files or something along those lines. Anyway after hours of trying I got it installed in p3d. Initial impressions are great but I didn't really get much chance to explore lol. The airport is very highly detailed it's great.

Have to say their installer is a total mess.  I installed from my saved esi packs and when I uninstalled it from P3Dv3, it messed up the autogen file (some important file).  Why would they make their installer mega complex.  I still wished they should have joined Orbx or sold their work to them or something. 

I can't use their products for the time being as it wrecks things if I Uninstall it from my P3Dv3 (I can install fine with tweaks, it only happens when I uninstall).  Can't waste time on always fixing this and that. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

They probably assumed that only an imbecile would want to uninstall their products :tongue:

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

One of the things I did do when I heard that they were closing down imminently was made packages for all the scenery I had bought from them using the Installer. So far I've not had to use these but it seemed to work ok. I haven't got any Orbx scenery installed currently but I remember when I used to it took some reinstalling to get the autogen to work properly after I had installed the Orbx product.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Beware, Earthsim update the default autogen files, (this was the reason for their conflict with Orbx) (...)

The ES Isle of Man had worked fine for me alongside ORBX as long as I had FTX Central set to 'Default'.

Now I have installed Global Base, FTX Central is set to 'Global' in 'Hybrid' mode, and I am experiencing two issues:

1. When flying towards the IoM the autogen never shows.
  2. When trying to load a flight with the aircraft at IoM airport the loading progress bar hangs forever around the 70% mark (loading autogen stuff at that stage). I have to shut down the sim via the Task Manager.

This happens in FSX-MS. Does anyone know whether this is related to the ES ./. ORBX conflict and how it could maybe be solved? (Install order was: 1. ORBX regions, 2. ES IoM (working fine), 3. ORBX Global Base (IoM autogen not working so fine anymore)

Thanks.

EDIT: I may simply try Tom's suggestion and reinstall ES IoM.

Edited by olli4740

Darren and Vicky were very nice people (I hope they still are!) but I know they suffered for their art, with both of them having illnesses at one time or another, probably brought on by the stress of keeping Earthsimulations going. Much missed.

Ian

ESI produced an autogen compatability file, merging their changes with ORBXs.

Hopefully that still works and ORBX haven't added more changes.

The file is downloadable from ESI, https://earthsims.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/235619-i-need-the-autogen-compatibility-files

Cheers

Keith

All this time I didn't know about this.  wow.  Thank You.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)