Sign in to follow this  
BeechPapa

KEGE ILS 25 charts?

I always thought KEGE had no ILS, just an LDA approach for 25. Now I see ILS runway 25 approaches showing up in my FMCs. But I can't find a single chart for it. Kinda strange. When did they add an ILS to this runway, and does anyone know where to find charts for this approach?

There is no ILS for EGE.  I show RNAV (GPS) D and LDA/DME RY 25

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That's what I though too. My pdf charts from Flightaware and the pre-loaded GTN750 charts only indicate RNAV (GPS) D and LDA/DME 25 as well. But the NGX FMC, the Majestic Dash8 FMC, and the GTN750 all have an ILS 25 available in the approaches list, each with an RLG or VOAXA transition. 

Probably a navigraph thing - I've seen that before with other aircraft like the Flight1 Mustang

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you read the NOTAMS for the airport, the ILS becomes serviceable on 8 DEC 15 at 1900.  They could be finalizing an install of one and with the next pubs updated (10 December) it will have them. I will look tomorrow since we received our paper copies of the approaches at work today. Foreflight won't let me look into the future with the pubs or I would do it that way.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Just checked the Eagle County airport website, and it appears to be an SA approach only available to approved operators. Much like the straight-in localizer at ASE, I doubt you'll find a public plate. 

See: http://www.eaglecounty.us/Airport/Documents/Master_Plan/Working_Paper_2_Chapter_4/

You can also see a future amendment scheduled via the FAA IFP. Looks like all of EGE is scheduled for updated procedures in 2017.

Joe Sherrill

If you read the NOTAMS for the airport, the ILS becomes serviceable on 8 DEC 15 at 1900.  They could be finalizing an install of one and with the next pubs updated (10 December) it will have them. I will look tomorrow since we received our paper copies of the approaches at work today. Foreflight won't let me look into the future with the pubs or I would do it that way.

That I didn't know.... very cool.  I wonder if the Orbx version will include this?  Doesn't really matter the GTN should have it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Thanks for the info, I'd be interested to see if the new approach data has the ILS listed after going into service. My only question is whether the ILS is going back into service, or going into service for the 1st time. 

Just checked the Eagle County airport website, and it appears to be an SA approach only available to approved operators. Much like the straight-in localizer at ASE, I doubt you'll find a public plate. 

See: http://www.eaglecounty.us/Airport/Documents/Master_Plan/Working_Paper_2_Chapter_4/

You can also see a future amendment scheduled via the FAA IFP. Looks like all of EGE is scheduled for updated procedures in 2017.

Hm, interesting. It's definitely mentioned in the documentation you linked to, but vaguely. The SA requirement would explain why it would be in FMCs, but no public plates. I just don't understand why they'd be so coy about it. This airport has always fascinated me, and now even more so. Secret approaches only adds to mystery.

I wonder if the Orbx version will include this?  Doesn't really matter the GTN should have it.

I can confirm that FTX KEGE does have an ILS. I've been meaning to look into adex file for FTX KEGE because I had a strong feeling their LDA glideslope is off. The LDA takes you way too close to terrain, and at AIGLE when I should have been at 10,400ft I found myself at 9,800ft even though I was right on the indicated GS. After looking at the adex file I found KEGE has an ILS frequency at 108.3, also confirmed by the FSX map and approach course of 250. I have no idea what to make of this info, or even what the source of it was since there are no charts available.

I also turned out to be correct about the LDA GS being wrong. It's listed in the charts as 3.8 degrees and FTX has 3.0 in their ADEX. The ILS is also listed as having a 3.0 degree GS, which considering the terrain around the airport I believe is probably wrong as well. The ILS glideslope might even be steeper than the LDA's. It would be simple to correct the ILS if the charts were available, but without them it becomes a guessing game. I'll probably stick to the LDA for now, but this ILS mystery certainly adds to my curiosity about this airport.

I fly into KEGE 2 times a year on United KEWR-KEGE (seasonal). Talked to the pilot about a year ago & he confirmed there is an ILS. He said that because of the steep glidepath, it is not allowed to be fully automated. If you access the altitude info on Flightaware.com on the commercial ariline flights into EGE, you will see that on the commercial flights (heavy iron), the planes are close to final approach speeds on final turn towards the airport, & usually decent at a rate of about 1000-1200 FPM. I can also state that the landing gear is usually extended at or right after final turn (Aqula INT).

The referenced document from the Eagle site also lists takeoff maximum wieghts for commercial jets, Even then, I've noticed on takeoff that flaps are usually not retracted until around FL150.

The ORBX scenery is great, except for the incorrect glideslopes. Also, the parking assignments for gates 1-8 are old & not current (unfortunately also reflected in the static aircraft). Gate 1 is usually reserved for de-icing. Local restrictions only allow 1 plane to be de-iced at a time.

Current Heavy iron into KEGE during winter season United (KEWR , KIAH, KORD), AAL (KLAX,KDFW, KMIA), Delta (KATL), ACA (CYYZ), Allegiant air (KOAK in 2016-2017). United has DASH-8-400 flights from KDEN several times daily.

Ed Lee