Sign in to follow this  
vesalius

Why do we need to put the patches in seperate folder?

Hello and good evening (at this time),

The installation procedure for the FreeMesh is clear and strait forward.
However, I do no understand why I need to put the patches in a seperate folder...Can't we just overwrite the "original bgl" with the one provided in the latest patch?

For instance for Africa, the region N10E030 has been patched, it is in the latest 1.05 patch.
Why can't I simply overwrite the N10E030.bgl file from the original Africa region with the N10E030.bgl included in the patch?

I just took this bgl as example, ofcourse I'm speaking for all regions/patched bgl's.

Thanks for the project, the Canary Islands are now very well rendered :)

EDIT:
Oh dear... I read the instructions a fifth time and now I see... :Doh:

When you install the patch 1.05 you have to do it in 2 steps (after cleaning out the existing patch folder)

1) update the existing bgl's from your installed region with the bgl's included in the patch

2) extract the "FreeMeshX - Patches" seperately and include it in the library, 1 layer above the freemesh layers.

Still, I'm curious... why patching with addition bgl's?

Edited by vesalius

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Still, I'm curious... why patching with addition bgl's?

These are just for small patches for mesh tiles that don't warrant a complete replacement. We could replace the tiles completely, but then that would make the patch files a lot larger for relatively small fixes. You can consider them miscellaneous fixes.

Thanks for the quick and clear answer.

Then I might not need to install the 1,2Gb of patches. I look at their names, and they are all related to regions I don't fly to (Hymalya, K2, Fiji, E030, etc...)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne