Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Animated Waves in V3

There would appear to be several simmers out there who are not experiencing the joys of the animated waves in V3... (that said - who wants to fly when the surf is up!!), and seem to suffer from static sea-states? Is this an altitude-related perception or simply a lack of any animation whatsoever at sea-level on their particular rigs l wonder?

I noticed the same thing on my system last night. I'm reinstalling this weekend anyways once my SSD arrives so figured I'd wait until then to figure out what's wrong (if anything is).

Water in P3D is rubbish on my PC, David. In fact, it's annoying the hell out of me more and more, particularly after seeing Ed Wilson's video that appears to show beautifully animated water. The problem I seem to have is that there is no "light reflection shimmering", which is mandatory for creating the illusion of wave movement. The textures are just dull, lifeless and.......rubbish.

Did I mention that the water is rubbish? Ah, yes. So I did. Just checking.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Water in P3D is rubbish on my PC, David. In fact, it's annoying the hell out of me

Go away,  are you serious   :Tounge:

lol  How did i know i would find you in here Christopher  :smile:

Probably in the same way that I knew you would respond, Elaine :wink:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ahhhhhh, another P3D water thread and up pops Mr. Low and his whining about HIS water :fool:

As you have been informed many times, there is nothing wrong with the water animations in P3D. Its your problem, or maybe REX3's in which case go moaning there, please.

Yawn :P

I will state I have never installed someone else's textures for water/etc...

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I didn't install anything as well and as soon as i climb above ~2500ft, water animation stops making it look like FS9 stuff. Adding textures doesn't change the behaviour, as this is programmed this way.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Probably in the same way that I knew you would respond, Elaine :wink:

:LMAO:   Well that is true   :smile:

Chris - I could have been surfing on the waves in Walney Channel yesterday ..... Would any real world pilots care to comment ... ?

I flew over the Atlantic for years, from South Florida. Trying to remember if I saw waves from 2500 feet, don't think I did. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I will state I have never installed someone else's textures for water/etc...

Thanks for video Ed but I'm with the others at altitude motion is pretty much non existent - low level all is good - this has been an ongoing problem that I wish could be addressed - fsx may look a little over the top but still looks better than P3D version IMO

Rich Sennett

As I don't have FSX installed, could someone post a video that shows off its water animation at altitude?

Chris

As I don't have FSX installed, could someone post a video that shows off its water animation at altitude?

More important I think is what is the real world visibility of wave action at even relatively low altitudes. Having lived and flown very close to the Atlantic ocean ( I lived 300 feet from the beach for years) , and seeing waves and swells that maybe average say 5-10 feet typically, how visible is that going to be when you are flying at say 2500 feet or about 1/2 mile above  the surface? Can someone make out a 5-10 foot difference in water level, almost 1/2 mile above it ? I don't think so....... and I flew over this area hundreds of times. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

This is pretty much what I see - which is not much and you know how much I luv P3D but

Not my video - just did a search

Rich Sennett