Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

EVGA - GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

Is this card a very good top performer with FSX?

I currently have a EVGA Nvidia 750ticard and get 18-23 fps with Ifly 747 and T2G KSEA.

My CPU is an AMD 4.2ghz Vishera  and I have 8g of ram.

Will I see a performance increase. And yes I don't want this to be an AMD vs Intel battle.

I would like to invest in to ORBX.

Thanks

Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

Probably you need higher VRAM.

Yes I am looking at the 4GB vram card as well.

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

Suggest getting the 970 card instead.

The 960 is in no way a "top performer"..

Bert

Suggest getting the 970 card instead.

The 960 is in no way a "top performer"..

So in your opinion compared to the 750ti is it a better performer. Some of us deal with a budget.

I had a Gigabyte GTX 750ti 2GB with an i7-3770 (non clocked version but runs FSX at 3.7ghz with Turbo Boost, up from 3.4ghz) and my results with the same add on's you have called out were about the same.

I replaced the 750ti because it started to run quite hot with a (brand new, but loaned from a friend who does tech reviews for a magazine) MSI GTX960 2GB 128 bit GDDR5 (reference design) and it was a nice upgrade, especially with colour / texture depth and smoothness but I can't say it was better FPS wise.

After 10 weeks I decided I should give it back (he had not asked, but that would be theft!) but I bought an EVGA GTX970 4GB GDDR5 (REF 04-P4-1970-KR) and the difference between the 960 and 970 is significant with both smoothness (and the 960 was good) and FPS (5-7 FPS average) and it runs on average at 51 degrees, compared to about 61 degrees (960).

Fully understand the budget but if you can wait and save, the 970 is the better card (in my experience).

Regards,

Mark

I had a Gigabyte GTX 750ti 2GB with an i7-3770 (non clocked version but runs FSX at 3.7ghz with Turbo Boost, up from 3.4ghz) and my results with the same add on's you have called out were about the same.

I replaced the 750ti because it started to run quite hot with a (brand new, but loaned from a friend who does tech reviews for a magazine) MSI GTX960 2GB 128 bit GDDR5 (reference design) and it was a nice upgrade, especially with colour / texture depth and smoothness but I can't say it was better FPS wise.

After 10 weeks I decided I should give it back (he had not asked, but that would be theft!) but I bought an EVGA GTX970 4GB GDDR5 (REF 04-P4-1970-KR) and the difference between the 960 and 970 is significant with both smoothness (and the 960 was good) and FPS (5-7 FPS average) and it runs on average at 51 degrees, compared to about 61 degrees (960).

Fully understand the budget but if you can wait and save, the 970 is the better card (in my experience).

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

What is the difference between these two cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970-4GB-GDDR5-DVI-HDMI-3DisplayPorts-pci-e-Video-Card-/201480601544?hash=item2ee92dffc8:g:ObMAAOSwbdpWZcno

Which is the better performer?

Randy

Hi Randy,

The difference between the 3973 (the link in post 7) and the 1970 I bought is power draw, the power type and cooler type.

My case is a small form factor (the PC is an Alienware X51 R1 which was an unexpected 40th brithday present in 2012) and as such, a single fan (refence design -which is either the 1970 or 1972 version) that blows the air out the back is better for a small form factor case. Also, I was limited by the PSU, thus had to have a card where the max power draw was less than 175W.

Thus, the GTX970 I have can said to be the base 970 - whereas you have bought a factory overclocked version and I assume you have an 8 and 6 pin power connector and a PSU that draws 201W, so as such, I don't think you will look back! Mine is great so yours will have to be something above great!

Enjoy the card.

Mark

Hi Randy,

The difference between the 3973 (the link in post 7) and the 1970 I bought is power draw, the power type and cooler type.

My case is a small form factor (the PC is an Alienware X51 R1 which was an unexpected 40th brithday present in 2012) and as such, a single fan (refence design -which is either the 1970 or 1972 version) that blows the air out the back is better for a small form factor case. Also, I was limited by the PSU, thus had to have a card where the max power draw was less than 175W.

Thus, the GTX970 I have can said to be the base 970 - whereas you have bought a factory overclocked version and I assume you have an 8 and 6 pin power connector and a PSU that draws 201W, so as such, I don't think you will look back! Mine is great so yours will have to be something above great!

Enjoy the card.

Mark

Mark. I have a Corsair 750watt modular PSU on its way and hope to have it tomorrow.