Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Any Update on PMDG Simulator Facility?

I know asking when a plane will be released will be grounds for execution, but what is the status of the PMDG ground based simulator in VA?  Fair question? 

I'd like to plan my next 777 sim time and I have several choices.  I'll be in the VA area in April will my new Charger Hellcat doing 1/2 mile runs on the runway at Ingall Field Airport in Hot Springs VA.  I'd like to couple it with some 777 sim time.

Let me know if that will be feasible.

Paul Gugliotta

Paul Gugliotta

I know asking when a plane will be released will be grounds for execution, but what is the status of the PMDG ground based simulator in VA?  Fair question? 

RSR will probably have a few updates in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned for those.

I'd like to plan my next 777 sim time and I have several choices.  I'll be in the VA area in April will my new Charger Hellcat doing 1/2 mile runs on the runway at Ingall Field Airport in Hot Springs VA.  I'd like to couple it with some 777 sim time.

The only simulator we've discussed being built at any point so far is the 747-8. The 737 and 777 will be down here at some point, but that discussion will happen after we get the 748 down here and all the kinks worked out. This is a first for us (getting distributed, multi-computer software running in dedicated hardware), so we might as well minimize the moving parts by only having the one sim to work with, figure it all out, and then transfer the lessons learned into the 737 and 777 when that time comes.

HSP is a crazy field. Flew there last month for the first time. The one end of the runway is pretty much on a cliff:

888ff127-db3b-4daa-93b6-057388b154f2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Ok I can wait for the update.  At HSP, I hope I'll still be on the ground at the end of the runway.  I figure at 1/2 mile I'll be up to 170 mph.

Paul Gugliotta

Ok, It's been 4 months since I asked for an update on the sim facility.  Is it open to the public now.  I'd like to plan a vacation around using a sim.  I have many options  full motion 777 Level D in Miami or Denver or Minneapolis, or  777 stationary with IFly  in Toronto, or PMDG 747 somewhere in Virginia???  Should I assume PMDG will not be ready by summer's end?

Paul Gugliotta

Should I assume PMDG will not be ready by summer's end?

The only sim hardware we've shown is the 747-8. So far we haven't released the 747-400 or 747-8. The function of the former is dependent on the latter (specifically the latter of the latter).

Kyle Rodgers

The function of the former is dependent on the latter (specifically the latter of the latter).

1zx2re9.jpg

Sounds like it is still far away. With no commitment on a date, I can't plan based on hype.   I'll forget about PDMG's sim and take my business elsewhere.

Paul Gugliotta

Still no update on the 747 sim at the PMDG site in Virginia?

Paul Gugliotta

Still no update on the 747 sim at the PMDG site in Virginia?

As I mentioned before, it's entirely dependent on the 747 software to drive the hardware, as such, any 747 update is an implied sim center update.

What are you expecting here?

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

So your are saying the 747 simulator at the PMDG facility wont be ready until the 747 for FSX is released??? I would have thought that the physical building of the cockpit would be much more labor I tensile that the sim to run it I was assuming they would use the current 747 queen of the skies as the software to drive the sim facility. So based on what you say the sim facility will be ready when the new 747 is released.

Paul Gugliotta

So your are saying the 747 simulator at the PMDG facility wont be ready until the 747 for FSX is released???

P3D, actually. FSX is an entertainment-only platform where selling sim time would be outside of the EULA.

I would have thought that the physical building of the cockpit would be much more labor I tensile that the sim to run it I was assuming they would use the current 747 queen of the skies as the software to drive the sim facility.

I can see how that would make sense without having visibility into what's going on, but the reality is a bit different. Our current offerings aren't really built to integrate well with hardware (particularly the now decade-old 744), and we already have the space and hardware ready (the hardware is together and we're using it to test a bunch of things as we move along). With our current offerings, you can get by with some of the main functions - throttles and main sim-tagged functions - but you can't get to all of the data necessary to drive a full flight deck. Additionally, none of our existing products have the capability to run across multiple computers, which is a huge deal with running hardware like this. The upcoming 747 is being built with the capability to send data around a local network such that multiple computers and interfaces can manage the aircraft: one to manage the environment, and one or more to run the other flight deck displays (or however you decide to set it up). Basically, our stuff needed to be better able to interface with hardware, and needed to be able to run across a local network. The FS9/FSX version can't do either of those.

So based on what you say the sim facility will be ready when the new 747 is released.

Some of the stuff is being tested in parallel as we move along, but there will be a bit of lag behind the product itself. As mentioned in the announcement, the 747 will not be the first sim that people will have public access to as it will be used for a number of PMDG-directed projects initially, before finally being moved over for public use. The first sim we get the public into will either be the 737 or 777. Based on the poll we put out at the end of last year (the dates are off, and I think we've changed the provider of the visuals, but the rest is all 'current'), my guess is that it would be a 737, but that hasn't been decided yet.

EDIT: Thanks for clarifying what you were looking for, by the way.

Kyle Rodgers

The upcoming 747 is being built with the capability to send data around a local network such that multiple computers and interfaces can manage the aircraft: one to manage the environment, and one or more to run the other flight deck displays (or however you decide to set it up). Basically, our stuff needed to be better able to interface with hardware, and needed to be able to run across a local network.

Although the current 747 at the sim facility is being used as a research and development tool, will the home cockpit building features you mention be available at the time of initial release of the new 747? 

Although the current 747 at the sim facility is being used as a research and development tool, will the home cockpit building features you mention be available at the time of initial release of the new 747? 

I believe so.

Kyle Rodgers

OK, it has been 6 months from the last post , any update on any PMDG cockpit for public use?  Are you making 3 separate sims? one for the 737, one for the 777 and another one for the 747?  Based on your July 13 response, you said the first sim will be for the 737 or 777.    Those are the two I want to "play" with.  Forget the 747.  Is the 777 ready to even close to being ready.  As I mentioned last year, I want to plan a summer vacation in the DC area, and would like to incorporate a trip to the sim.  What are the odds of any sim being complete by summer 2017?

Paul Gugliotta