Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

Question to CIV-A by Simufly users

Hello!

When it comes to updating in a single INS configuration, because of fast misaligning (few minutes after takeoff to performance index 9)

It seems to me that following the chapter "2 MANUAL POSITION UPDATING" in the Operations pdf is much easyier and faster than dme updating.

Do I get it right or is there a big disadvantage in using manual updating?

Thank you,

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Hello!

When it comes to updating in a single INS configuration, because of fast misaligning (few minutes after takeoff to performance index 9)

Don't understand what you mean here?  If you have a performance index of 9 a few minutes after takeoff you are not aligning correctly while on the ground. To degrade to PI 9 should take a couple of hours. Initial alignment takes place on the ground at the gate/stand before the aircraft starts engines. The aircraft must not move during the alignment.

Once in the air, DME updating will be constantly updating position while you are tuned to a VOR/DME station.

The manual alignment procedure has the two disadvantages of being less accurate than DME updating, and not continuous.

Peter Schluter

Alignment on ground is normal, down to zero and without moving aircraft. I am according to an post in the simufly forum (link at the end of post) in this post they say it is normal that the civa is that fast misaligning.

About the 2 units, I want to use a second unit, have not done it yet. But updating via other units works with at least 3 units, not 2?

The link to the post about fast misalining.

http://www.simufly.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1442401404

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Ah I see. I had forgotten the single unit loses accuracy faster than a double/triple setup. Not down to 9 in a few minutes though.

My procedure whether using an aircraft with one (B737-200); two (B727/747-200); or three (Concorde) is the same. Set up your first DME update station/stations while on the ground and start DME updating either while on the ground after alignment, or shortly after takeoff.

No loss of accuracy if you do it that way.

Peter Schluter

Thank you very much!

I will go more into DME updating to do it right.

My L1011 now have a 3 Unit setup. The only little issue I have at the moment is the size of the nav mode switch and the update flag... see my post at simufly for a screenshot:

http://www.simufly.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1449693943

Kind regards,

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020