Sign in to follow this  
kierano

Trim wheel issue

Hello all,

I've just purchased the pmdg 737 for p3dv3. Having loaded it up and prepared to take it out for a flight, I noticed an issue with the trim wheel. Having pushed back, the trim wheel moved all the way down (trim up) and, no matter how much I moved it back to the centre it would keep trimming back to the bottom.

Any ideas?

Kieran

Difficult to say,  are you complaining about getting some trim?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It's more the issue that the wheel moves all the way down without an input. I therefore cannot turn on autopilot as the movement of the trim wheel turns it off (as should be expected). I cannot override the movement of the wheel, as when I do it moves straight back down. This means that on rotation I am pitching up to about 40 degrees because I can't adjust the trim wheel without it moving all the way down by itself.

LOL...sorry, just a bit of good morning humor.

Are you talking about using a Hardware trim wheel, of the trim wheel in the aircraft?

I have P3D uninstalled at the moment, but maybe take another look at all your control axis and check to see if anything is bound to the trim axis?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The main known issue between the saitek trim wheel and the 737 is that it seems to only like to trim the aircraft in one direction no matter which way you turn the wheel (try to use the saitek to trim nose up, it trims nose up, try to trim nose down it trims nose up), it has been seen in some cases where a nudge of the wheel will cause full deflection up or down (although this is more common in aircraft such as the 757 or 777 where they have a trim lever that gets stuck in the full up or down position rather than a wheel), the only way to counter this (without disconnecting the trim wheel altogether) is to have a toggle switch on the yoke like you see in the real aircraft or throttle quadrant also assigned to nose up/down or use the mouse to recentre the trim wheel inside the VC or 2D cockpit.

Are you using FSuipc or the regular FSx controls for the inputs?

There are issues acknowledged by LM with many hardware input devices in v3. The Saitek trim wheel can lock the sim and/or OS. The workaround suggested to me was to plug the wheel in after loading the sim and give it several turns. This worked sometimes. It was still unstable, so disconnected for now.

The best information I have is that input calibration and compatibility will be addressed, possibly enhanced by LM in v3.1.

Check the very long 3.1 thread.

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

Ah, this makes sense now. I'm using the x55 rhino with switches assigned for the trim wheel. I will try and plug it in after I have started p3d. Hopefully the update will fix it.

Thanks for the advice!

Ah, this makes sense now. I'm using the x55 rhino with switches assigned for the trim wheel. I will try and plug it in after I have started p3d. Hopefully the update will fix it.

I have an X-55 as well, with a trim up, trim down command on one of the hat switches on the throttle and I'm not seeing what you're seeing here. Check to ensure the sim didn't automatically assign one of your axes to a trim axis.

Full names - first and last - in the forum, too, please.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't know about the X-55 (but given how Saitek does their drivers I'm assuming it's the same), Saitek drivers have a nasty little habit of creating default assignments in FSX/P3D upon install.  This can lead to the type of issues you're seeing.

Something else as well.... and I don't know if this occurs in P3D, but our test team has repeatedly seen custom control settings get wiped and replaced by default Saitek control bindings under FSX:SE.  We'd see this occasionally under the Disk version of FSX. We've not had the time to isolate this yet, but to prevent this from happening we made the "Standard" file read only (located in the Controls section of the Roaming directory).

Hope this is helpful!

Dave Hodges