Sign in to follow this  
going around

Some recommendations please

I have just joined the forum after quite a few years away from flight sims.

I was last active with FS2002 (when it was new).

I did buy 2004 but reckon that the spec of my box was not sufficient to run it well.

My interest took me learning to fly a microlight and a cessna 152.  However, have a lot more time on my hands now and seriously considering getting my 2004 up and running. So, I am looking to get a dedicated pc for this. I will be wanting to use various add ons like scenery and mesh etc.Bearing this in mind,can anyone suggest some specs for a pc.I have read quite a bit on it and don't really understand the processors on offer ie do I need a quad core or is the software unable to take advantage of it.  

So basically any info on processors, RAM and graphics would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to go completely overkill, just something that runs it well.

Rich

FS2004 only runs on one core, but everything else on your PC will use however many others there are. Without going crazy, FS2004 will run way better than it was designed for on any low to mid-range spec PC of around 5 or 6 years old. I'd recommend a 64-bit OS with quad-core processor, 6 or 8gb memory, a 1GB NVidia GT or GTX series graphics card and the hard drive(s) and monitor of your own preference. 

FS2004 only runs on one core, but everything else on your PC will use however many others there are. Without going crazy, FS2004 will run way better than it was designed for on any low to mid-range spec PC of around 5 or 6 years old. I'd recommend a 64-bit OS with quad-core processor, 6 or 8gb memory, a 1GB NVidia GT or GTX series graphics card and the hard drive(s) and monitor of your own preference. 

Thank you for the reply. Ive now got something to go for.

Second this recommendation, especially the mid-range video card. I get great results with a 7 year old GeForce GTS 450. Don't forget to use NVidia Inspector and apply the "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile. You might need to tweak the profile but I'm sure that you can google the settings required to get any NVida card up to speed.

Second this recommendation, especially the mid-range video card. I get great results with a 7 year old GeForce GTS 450. Don't forget to use NVidia Inspector and apply the "MS Flight Simulator 2004" profile. You might need to tweak the profile but I'm sure that you can google the settings required to get any NVida card up to speed.

I agree with all of the above suggestions. I run FS9 (and FSX) on what would today be considered a mid-range system (3.6GHz / Win 7 64-bit / GTX760 / 16GB RAM) and I can confirm that FS9 runs like a dream on this.

Bill

Thanks for the comments guys. I am not familiar with the NVIDIA Inspector. When I get the PC if I can't fathom it out perhaps I can come back to you.

Rich

Dont forget the SSD harddrive. Fs9 runs best on a fast core. Mine fs9 runs on a i7 3,6ghz which can go up to 4ghz.

Ive got a seriously loaded fs9 with lots of demanding addons like tons of ai traffic running on 100% of density with different types of environment addons.

It runs like a dream.

Thanks for the comment re SSD.

I have just got an intel quad core 3.0Ghz with SSD and HHD. It has a 1gb geforce 430 but only has 4gb of ram at the moment Get christmas out of the way and I will upgrade it to 8gb. Hopefully this will get me going again.