Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[09DEC15] End-Of-An-Era: End of Life Information 747-400X and MD-11X

Fat chance of that happening. However, a sale would be a nice way to 'say goodbye' to the MD-11. I've always had my eye on it but could not justify the price. From what I heard its a lot of fun, and if its going away anyway maybe PMDG would consider a price reduction. 

The reason given for EOL is that newer hardware is causing a large increase in support issues. So having a sale which potentially would greatly increase the customer base would only exasperate the problem, so I don't think we will see one.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Gonna be sad to see the MD-11 put out to pasture. One of my favorite airframes, next to the 777. Wish there was some way the the gods in the development/design department could breathe some new life into this fine bird, just like the revamp of the 747. I'll always keep the hope alive that maybe, just maybe someone will bring her back to life with a upgraded flight package. As for the new 747, I know you guys said previously about the -8i being redone, can we expect a revamp on the Dreamlifter as well? Haven't seen the LCF mentioned, but if I missed it, sorry for the repost. Wondering if there is someway to get the MD-11 to work with P3Dv3?

• Upvote 2

The reason given for EOL is that newer hardware is causing a large increase in support issues. So having a sale which potentially would greatly increase the customer base would only exasperate the problem, so I don't think we will see one.

Tom Cain

Tom Cain

PMDG could make it clear they won't offer support for MD-11s sold in a "closeout" sale.  When you file a support ticket, you need to indicate your order number.  Their system could simply reject tickets with sale MD-11 order numbers, until they end all MD-11 support next April.   I would be happy to get an MD-11 with no promise of support beyond activation issues.

Mike

• Upvote 2

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Even though PMDG claim that they lost money, the MD-11 for me was the best ever!

I lament it's passing and am so very disappointing that It's not had a short tweak to be used in P3D.  If PMDG really valued their customers they would do it just because it's badly needed. I would even pay full price for it again if that was possible?

How many of you are with me on this please?

• Upvote 5

Dave Taylor gb.png

The MD-11 is honestly the best aircraft they ever developed (excluding the NGX, or newer aircraft). I only just bought the NGX and haven't done much but set it up. Don't have the 777 or turboprop.

Regardless, the MD-11 was absolutely flawless in FS9. From automation to procedure, graphics and all. The handling of the MD-11 is fantastic. Probably the best and easiest to hand fly.

I will be buying it straight away for FSX to add to steam despite compatibility since others said it was fine. It's always been a perfect product.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I also think the MD-11 is one of the best, if not the best development they have made. I don't even know why i like it so much, i just do.

• Upvote 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Thank you Robert.

The MD11 will always be special to me. But it is time to move on!

#thequeenisback

Haven't really talked much here, but bidding farewell to MD-11 really touches my soft spot. She's the only long haul aircraft I flown for the most unforgettable 5 years, I can't count how many great memories I had with this beauty. It's during these years I learnt how to do serious flight planning, I left high school for an aeronautical university and finally in 2014 personally said goodbye to her during my first Cross-the-Pond event on Oct.25.2014, the same day KLM did their.

I understand your decision and thank you very much for bringing this wonderful offering to this community.

• Upvote 1

Yuchen Leng
Maddog driver
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Come on guys, why are we treating this like a funeral? If you already own the 744X or MD11X and it's working for you, nothing has really changed, other than you will have to get future support from the community instead of PMDG itself. Even then PMDG staff may way in in the forums to help out. You still can continue to fly these beautiful birds anywhere in the world you want. No need to just "Move on". The only ones affected, are those that waited too long to join in on the fun. (They still have till the 14th to buy in!) Or those unlucky enough to have unresolved support issues. They have until APR16 to get them resolved by PMDG, or then they will have to rely on the community's  help only.

Tom Cain

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Tom Cain

Excellent point, though I'd imagine that PMDG is doing this already to a small extent by announcing this here as people will be rushing to pick it up before it's gone forever (I know I am). I forget, was there ever an SE installer made for this? If there isn't and I install it into steam will my folders be destroyed by the wrath of DRM? 

EDIT: I took the risk and bought it. It installed fine into SE and I took it on a first spin around Istanbul. I couldn't get the flaps to extend, some lady was yelling at me ("fuh-LAAP"), I landed at -800 fpm and 200 kts after wrestling control away from the autoflight system, and I had a huge grin on my face the whole time. The textures may not be as sharp as the 777's, but I can tell this is a special plane. Go buy it before it's too late!!