Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[09DEC15] A Whole Lotta 747-400 Goodness!

Sorry if the question has been asked previously; will the 747 have "Auto Cruise"?

Keith Burns

Please PMDG: Let us see some previews of the 747-8i...!!! And by the way: Is the 747-8 a standalone product or an Addon for the 747-400 V2? 

Sorry if the question has been asked previously; will the 747 have "Auto Cruise"?

Keith Burns

This isn't insider information, but an educated guess. They've said in the past that they're not in the habit of eliminating features. So since the 777 has it, you can bet the 747v2 will have it!

Please PMDG: Let us see some previews of the 747-8i...!!! And by the way: Is the 747-8 a standalone product or an Addon for the 747-400 V2? 

You know, I was all ready to type out my guess that it would be a -400 base package with an -8 expansion, much like the 777. But the more I think about it, the more it could go either way. Guess we'll have to wait and see  B)

Peter-

To give you an idea how old our origina 747 product is:  We hadn't gotten to making movable stabilizers yet, back in 2005 when that product was released.  We have come quite a way in ten years...

Yes- the stabs move when trimmed...

And if you don't set them to 6.0 degrees after landing, you are in for a surprise when you attempt to service the airplane.  :smile:

• Upvote 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

And if you don't set them to 6.0 degrees after landing, you are in for a surprise when you attempt to service the airplane. :smile:

You mean the ghost of William Boeing appears and does a jaunty musical number in the APU exhaust?

• Upvote 3

I know everyone wants the camera, but will the 747 have a map display of the airport like the A380? I don't know if this is just an Airbus thing or if Boeing has it implemented in their latest airframes. I think it's more of a moving map, but I dunno how difficult that would be to do with all the different add-on scenery out there.

I don't know if this is just an Airbus thing or if Boeing has it implemented in their latest airframes.

dash8-ndmap.png

Peter-

To give you an idea how old our origina 747 product is:  We hadn't gotten to making movable stabilizers yet, back in 2005 when that product was released.  We have come quite a way in ten years...

Yes- the stabs move when trimmed...

And if you don't set them to 6.0 degrees after landing, you are in for a surprise when you attempt to service the airplane.  :smile:

Will damage be physically simulated? I don't mean an engine detaching from a pylon, but perhaps landing gear collapse or something like that? I realise you only have so many animations to work with, but just wondering.

Will damage be physically simulated? I don't mean an engine detaching from a pylon, but perhaps landing gear collapse or something like that? I realise you only have so many animations to work with, but just wondering.

An educated guess would probably be no.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wish it would be! It would really increase the immersion! Instead of a message appearing saying your aircraft is overstressed, the plane would keepy flying, but with noticeable damage! Hydraulic leaks, issues controling etc

Kashif EIzdi

i believe thats more of a option with the actual flight sim in fsx no matter what coding there is the coding of fsx says the sim ends when it overstresses or crashes in Xplane though for example if you pull too many gs it simulates you loosing your wings or other things how ever i could be wrong and could vary by aircraft perhaps the pmdg beta team or kyle can clarify

will the cabin crew call buttons be compatible with my home com system to call flight attendant and bring a coffee?

• Upvote 2

If PMDG could work with LM and get the physical damages simulated, I do believe that would cause heart failure amongst the simming world. Would be awesome to see hydraulics leaks coming from flaps that are damaged, gear torn off, stabalizer failing like the AA (?) flight that crashed in Queens in Nov 2001. Although any more realism and the wife will prolly kill me, as I barely leave the sim now. lol

Don,

will the cabin crew call buttons be compatible with my home com system to call flight attendant and bring a coffee?

I have actually tinkered with sorting out ways to get an acars message to forward in SMS format.  The objective is to send my coffee request to the the Lovely Dr. Randazzo while she is out and about her day.

If I succeed, you all will probably find me hospitalized for some time...

Gents,

If PMDG could work with LM and get the physical damages simulated, I do believe that would cause heart failure amongst the simming world. Would be awesome to see hydraulics leaks coming from flaps that are damaged, gear torn off, stabalizer failing like the AA (?) flight that crashed in Queens in Nov 2001. Although any more realism and the wife will prolly kill me, as I barely leave the sim now. lol

Catastrophic damage as you have described is the stuff of movies and hollywood style video games.

Leaks and things that break are far more likely to appear as eicas messages and system failures (which we simulate in abundance for you...) but if you are flying for an outfit with even moderately decent maintenance, you are unlikely to be severely challenged in a career.

The things that happen in real life tend to be relatively minor in terms of the survivability of the airplane because these machines are engineered so darn well.  The bigger likelihood is that you will find yourself over an expanse of dark water, far from a suitable landing source, and a relatively minor system failure will cascade into a much bigger problem because of the weather or dispatch requirements at your destination.  If you are headed for a fogged in EGLL and expecting a CatII or CatIII landing, and suddenly have a failure that causes your AFDS to degrade, you might start looking at other locations, fuel requirements, landing minimums, etc.

As boring as it sounds- that is where you make your money sitting in the left seat.

Flying the airplane upside down is best left to hollywood and Denzel Washington.

• Upvote 6

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com