Sign in to follow this  
dever23b

1.1 - Reverting to button control each start

Hello:

Thanks for the 1.1 enhancements!  I also want to apologize -- I swear I saw a post about this, but I just spent 20 minutes searching and I can't find it.  So I'm sorry if this has been answered.

Ever since I upgraded to 1.1, I've had trouble getting FS2Crew to remember my "voice control" preference.  Around the time I upgraded, I also decided to give SOP 3 a go, so my initial thoughts were that it had something to do with my changing SOPs.  But, I've since discovered that I wasn't a fan of SOP 3 due to its international procedure bias and I've gone back to SOP 2.  

Every time I start up FS2Crew lately, it always boots in button control.  I'd like it to remember my preference and start up with SOP 2, voice control selected each time.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks for your time.

Hi Tyler,

Is FS exciting cleanly when you shut it down?

The system should 'save' whether you have voice or button control selected.

Also, ensure FS is run with Admin rights.  You could have a write permission issue.

Cheers,

Hi Tyler,

Is FS exciting cleanly when you shut it down?

The system should 'save' whether you have voice or button control selected.

Also, ensure FS is run with Admin rights.  You could have a write permission issue.

Cheers,

You know what, Bryan, you might be on to something.  My FS has been crashing when I close it lately-- a new issue I haven't quite figured out just yet.  I'll try to just load FS2Crew, save my flight, and then exit out of FS without actually flying and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'll report back.

Well, Bryan.  I've got a new dilemma.

After experimenting for the last hour and a half, unfortunately it has become clear that my FS only seems to crash (when ending a flight) if I've activated FS2Crew.  

I tested disabling various third-party software, I ended up with only my PMDG and FS2Crew enabled.  I accomplished this by loading my exe.xml and dll.xml files, and setting the <Disabled>True</Disabled> configuration option for all addons excepting my PMDG 737 NGX and FS2Crew.  I then went to my Scenery Library and disabled everything.  

With everything disabled, I was able to load my PMDG, let it initialize, and then end my flight without error.  After this test, I closed FS and restarted it, and re-loaded my PMDG (from Free Flight, not a save file).  This time, I loaded FS2Crew and selected Voice mode.  Once it re-initialized, I again attempted to End Flight: this time, FS crashed again, with the same error.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16603, time stamp: 0x565531ee
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d5aac
Faulting process id: 0x1cd8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d13305d577ea01
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 004028c3-d88b-41f9-86c1-9b33df8dc179
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

To be clear, the action that triggers the crash seems to be ending the flight, not exiting FS.  I experimented with both several times.

Please see this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/350230-ntdlldll-crashes/

Try turning your scenery sliders down a bit.

Also try it in a different area to rule out a scenery issue (Africa or something to be away from all 3rd party stuff).

Cheers,

Please see this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/350230-ntdlldll-crashes/

Try turning your scenery sliders down a bit.

Also try it in a different area to rule out a scenery issue (Africa or something to be away from all 3rd party stuff).

Cheers,

Bryan:

I spent a couple more hours trying to play around and see if I could figure something out.  I have attempted adjusting my scenery sliders and read the thread you referenced.  That thread heavily implies the use of third party add-ons: all of mine are disabled, including my scenery?  

This crash doesn't seem to be location-specific: it's occurred on all of the flights I've done in the last few weeks.

Despite lowering my sliders, the situation seems to remain the same.  FS only crashes if I attempt to end a flight after "loading" the FS2Crew gauge.  Forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology.   What I mean is that if I don't press my hotkey ("C," if it matters) to display FS2Crew, then I can end a flight normally.  If I do press my hotkey and allow FS2Crew to initialize, then I can't exit my flight normally anymore.

I do use a USB headset as recommended in the manual.  I don't have HS selected, though: it isn't selected by default, and since all I'm doing is starting FS2Crew and then exiting my sim, I hadn't thought to turn it on.

I just went to my FS config and gutted all the settings: 

• Scenery global set to Minimal
  • Weather global set to Very Low
  • Traffic global set to Custom, with all sliders moved to 0%/None

Then I tried a few new experiments, restarting FSX between each attempt:

1. Enable the HS feature, then disable it again
    • Loaded PMDG
    • Selected random airport (KCID)
    • Activated FS2Crew
    • Changed config to Voice
    • Selected the HS button
    • Deselected the HS button
    • Ended flight
    • Result: crash
  2. Via the Windows Playback Devices dialog, select the Headphones as both "Default Device" and "Default Communications Device"
    • Executed steps from #1 above
    • Random airport: KBOI
    • Result: crash
  3. Tried disabling the "LK" feature, and closing the FS2Crew window(s) prior to ending flight: crash
  4. This one was interesting: I loaded FS2Crew without changing it to Voice mode (random airport: KEWR), and I was able to end flight successfully.  
  5. Based on 4, I tried enabling Voice mode, but changing to SOP (#1) (same airport, KEWR).  Result: crash

Bryan,

Is there a config file or registry setting I can edit outside of FS so FS2Crew loads initially with my preferred settings?

I was thinking two things:

1) It'd allow me to isolate whether the crashing is triggered by FS2Crew switching modes or if it's caused by the voice control itself

2) If #1 is the former, it'd serve as a workaround until you can resolve the root problem

Hi Tyler,

Open this file with notepad:

C:\Users\***your user name****\AppData\Roaming\FS2Crew2010\Versions\PMDG737NGXRB\SavedData

Change: RESERVED1 to to 1.

I recall 1 is Voice Control and 0 is Button Control.

For your shutdown issues, I can't reproduce it I'm afraid, which makes it hard to deal with.

NTDll is associated with your NVideo Video Card Drivers.

Bryan:

Thanks for the manual workaround and tip.  I'll try updating my video card drivers and see if that helps at all.

Do you have any idea why FS2Crew would be triggering a video card error?  Is there anything you know of that FS2Crew would do when enabling voice that would cause this?

Also, I'm going to try to uninstall 1.1 and go back to 1.0 to try that out.  Are there any special steps you'd recommend I take or will a simple uninstall and re-install be sufficient for testing?

Thanks again for your time

There's no value in going back to 1.0.  It won't make any difference.

As for NTDLL.dll.  It's hard to guess.   FSX can be a mystery wrapped in an enigma hidden in a riddle.

I'd start with a Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ntdll.dll&oq=ntdll.dll&aqs=chrome..69i57.1475j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=ntdll.dll+fsx+shutdown

Oh.  Well, this problem only started after I upgraded to 1.1.  I was hoping to "reset" and restore my FS environment to how it was pre-1.1.  Are saying the 1.1 upgrade is permanent?  Please forgive me if I'm completely misunderstanding you.

Thanks for continuing to look into this.

Fault Tolerant Heap and NTDLL.dll. Heap metadata can become corrupted and it has been identified by Microsoft as one of the most common causes of application failures. When an application crash shows the faulting module as ntdll.dll along with the Memory Access Violation (0xc0000005), then Windows places the application on a watch list and, if the application crashes at least four times or more in an hour, the fault tolerant heap service will configure the application to use the fault tolerant heap service in the future (Source - Chapter 10, Memory Management, Windows Internals, Part 2: Covering Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 by Mark E. Russinovich, David A Solomon, and Alex Ionescu). The service is part of the Security Center service.  Make sure this service is enabled.

Bryan, I found this after Googling as you recommended.  Is this what you were referring to? If I'm understanding this properly, it sounds like FSX got put into some type of supersensitive maximum security cyberjail on my computer.  So, if my upgrade to 1.1 triggered this, downgrading wouldn't give FS a "get out of jail free" pass?  

If that's the case, how do I post bail for FSX?

Or am I still not understanding what's happening.  I'm sorry, please handle me with kid gloves.

Hi Bryan:

Just wanted to follow up with this.  Thanks for all your help thus far and sorry I haven't replied in awhile: holiday season.  Hope yours was enjoyable.

I made the config file change you provided me to change the saved state to "voice control" and that worked insofar as getting FS2Crew to load in voice control rather than button control.

However, FSX still crashes when (and only when) FS2Crew is in voice control.  The results from the config change seem to indicate that the conflict isn't triggered by the actual changing of the FS2Crew voice/button mode, but rather voice mode simply being enabled at all.

I hope this information helps lead you somewhere.   

To recap:

After upgrading to 1.1, a regression was observed with the voice control mode of FS2Crew.  Now, whenever voice control is loaded, any subsequent ending of a flight in FSX results in FSX crashing.  This crash occurs whether selecting "end flight" or simply closing the sim: once the sim attempts to terminate the flight, FSX crashes with an NTDLL error.  After extensive testing and selective disabling of all third party software, this crash is only encountered if FS2Crew is loaded in voice control mode (button control does not produce the crash).