Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Where to find my Shaders folder Prepar3D v2 & v3 & v4

I forgot about that Vic, thanks. But that is a solution under the hood and I've actually never used it. So what does it do exactly?

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

LOL Bert. I really don't use it either. When you have that in the cfg file and you make any changes to the cfg file FROM INSIDE THE SIMULATOR - it will trigger a shaders rebuild.

For me, most of the time I change the cfg file, I use a text editor which does NOT trigger the rebuild.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ah, ok. Thanks Vic.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Quick question, after deleting the contents inside the Shaders folder, is it necessary to reinstall REX textures into the sim, do anything with ORBX X control panels etc?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hello Greg.  No,  You can Delete the contents OR the Complete Shaders folder ever day if you like and Prepar3D will Re-Build a new one when it starts, This will not effect Rex or Orbx,  It will give you a slightly longer loading times when you start Prepar3D first 

Rex Texture Modifies Default files in your Prepar3D Core folder's, Textures,  Effects\Textures,  Scenery\World\Texture,  Scenery\Global\Texture,  Sound.

So, you can Delete your Shaders folder to your heart content   :smile: 

​But,  its only recommended really when............

It is recommended to delete the contents of your Shaders folder any time you change your Graphics card, update your Graphics driver, Make Graphic changes to your Sim or you install a new program or Ad On into Prepar3D.  The next time you start Prepar3D, your Shaders will Rebuild.  Personally, either way, i delete my Shader's ever week. 

Hey Poppet, thanks! I have never once rebuilt the shader files since installing P3D and have since that time upgraded my GPU, updated drivers, installed lots of add on scenery and fiddled a huge amount to get the graphics settings I find optimal for my set up. So I guess this is a good time to do it then. :)

Thanks again for your help, and the guide.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor