Sign in to follow this  
Moe

Massive graphics problem please help

I am having a big problem with my FSX-SE setup.

1. I am seeing strips of odd textured terrain world wide. The strips are like large parallel mismatched textures. These are blocked in what looks like 1 to 5 square mile areas.

2. There are a pile of trees and buildings in many water areas.

3. There are many lakes popping up in area that should not have water.

I have installed from Steam FSX-SE, Greenland Nook, Lukla, ASN. I have also installed A2A C172, 38 Simaddons airports, Flight1 UTX Canada V2. ORBX Iceland Global/Vector/LC demo. I installed the PNW demo as well but deleted it using the Orbx uninstaller as I did not like some of the graphic errors I saw. After all that was installed (in steps over the year) everything worked well. Recently I installed the Tasmania demo and attempted to reinstall the PNW demo. I would get an error "FTXCentral" "Duplicate Landclass index 14 Aborting FTXCentral" Fair enough. So I uninstalled it. After that all the errors world wide listed above showed up.

Things I did to rectify this:

1. Installed up to date ATI driver.

2. Through Steam uninstalled and re installed FSX-SE

3. Disabled in scenery library each addon scenery.

4. Uninstalled and removed every item of Orbx I could find from the hardrive.

I still have the trouble. If I don't get this resolved is my next step to buy a new computer?

Moe

Hi,

Problems like this can be very frustrating and can take a lot of solving.

You need to approach it in a methodical manner.

Start by uninstalling each add on scenery in turn and then re-boot and run FS and check if the problem still persists.You do this until you can identify which add on is causing the problem.

Tedious work but you will find out what is causing your problem.

Good Luck

Do you play other games? Is this only specific to FSX? Sounds like your graphics card is corrupting textures due to a failure (hardware) or perhaps your hard drive is corrupt.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

With FSX we can run the repair tool, and with FSX-SE we can run the Verify Integrity function on the Steam FSX menu: Right-click, Properties, Local Files. This ensures the files are OK, they probably are.

We can turn off all the new scenery and bring it back later:

Move or rename Scenery.CFG and delete SceneryStatus.BIN found in:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE"

or "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX" on an SE only system

Windows XP:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX"

Start up FSX and the scenery config will be rebuilt with the default scenery. Go into the sim and see how it looks.

We can close the sim, copy back our saved Scenery.CFG and start the sim again to bring back all the scenery at once.

Some scenery may have made changes to Scenery\World so that folder may need to be recovered from a backup the scenery installer may have made.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Moe,

Can you post your Hardware specs please?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hello Moe,

I had the same problem when my graphics card had disfunctions. When this is the case, you can action a lot with uninstalling and reinstalling etc., but you won't solve the problem. My advise is : ask your reseller or a good friend to try a used but good functioning graphics card and see if the problem accures. When not, you solved it; in the other situation you will have probably work to do in try and error as described above.

Good luck,

Ben

Thanks guys. I will look at those options but first a guy from Orbx has contacted me and it seems to be not so uncommon a problem following FTX installation and removal. Pics provided show the same problem on other's setups. Solution is to delete the terrain.cfg file and replace it with a new one form a fresh install on another computer. I am in the process of installing an old boxed FSX on an older desktop to acquire that file. Will let you know how I make out. I have learned that FSX, FSX-SE and all P3d versions use the same terrain.cfg fo this should go OK.

Moe 

I had this happen to me once and it was a corrupted terrain.cfg, as you've already been informed.  Seems that FTX and UTX play games with the contents of terrain.cfg and I found that their uninstall can irreversbily corrupt that file.  I replaced mine with an upgraded base terrain.cfg that NickN at simforums recommends and provides there, and then reinstalled those products without any issues.  I hope this solves your problem.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Yep it's fixed. Just replaced the terrain.cfg and rerun the UTX utility. Thanks for every ones help.

Moe

I had this problem recently and the solution was to delete 'Terrain.cfg' and then run Verify Cache which reinstalled a fresh and uncorrupted version of the Terrain.cfg file.