Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

Night Textures

Does the 777F appear this way at night? The plane on the left is a static MD-11. I checked the NGX, 744, and MD-11. They all appear this way. Is this normal or have I messed up something in FSX. Anyone have any ideas?

9SWpm2.jpg

Does the 777F appear this way at night? The plane on the left is a static MD-11. I checked the NGX, 744, and MD-11. They all appear this way. Is this normal or have I messed up something in FSX. Anyone have any ideas?

[Picture]

That looks like an add-on airport. As such, those textures are add-on textures, too. When things appear at night, unless they are light sources, they do not radiate any light. They simply reflect it. In the sim (in most areas) this is simulated with "baked on" night texturing. These night textures must be artificially darkened and lightened as necessary. What you're seeing is that they haven't darkened their textures enough, so it almost looks like they are radiant light sources...or it's not that dark out (which the sky disagrees with).

Kyle Rodgers

That looks like an add-on airport.

The airport is EDDF by Aerosoft. One minute I think I understand what you wrote. The next minute I am not sure. In five years of using PMDG products I have never done a spot view at night while on the ground. I don't really need an explanation since I plan to do nothing about it. My question is - is this normal if I or the airport developer plan do nothing. The a/c looks normal in flight - a little dark but it is night and it is dark outside.

My question is - is this normal if I or the airport developer plan do nothing.

Not sure what you mean by "is this normal if I or the airport developer plan do nothing."

Does it look like normal night? No.

Is it acceptable if you and the dev plan to do nothing? That's up to you, I guess.

Would I put up with it? Yeah, sure. It's a sim...

It definitely doesn't look right to me, though. The 777 looks out of place because the rest of the environment is too bright.

Go in a dark room that lets no light in. Hold up a white piece of paper. What color is it?

To you, it's black because you can't see the paper with no light. White is black in the absence of light. That MD-11 looks very bright for how dark the sky is. One of the issues with the sim is that they didn't do a good job with its handling of night. 'Dark' isn't dark enough, so if you're not careful with how you do things, your night textures can look more like dusk.

Now, go outside in the middle of the night and tell me how many distinct shadows you see on the average night. Look at the MD-11 in your picture and notice how strong the shadow is under the horiz stab.

Kyle Rodgers

That MD-11 looks very bright for how dark the sky is. One of the issues with the sim is that they didn't do a good job with its handling of night. is under the horiz stab.

Talk about bright. You should have seen it on the screen and not in an image on this forum. It was practically blinding. Anyway, I am satisfied with the situation.

Thanks for the answers.