Sign in to follow this  
Heathrow to Dublin

Orbx not good enough: blurry texture

I bought several Orbx regions for P3D and I'm disappointed because everyone was raving about it being the best.  However it is not very realistic at all.    The textures are not sharp when you go down low even though I have a powerful machine (6 core Haswell Xeon overclocked to 4.5, 32GB RAM, GTX950).  When your flying into a region, like approaching Ireland, the textures and mountains all look like soft mush until you get very close.  I have most of the sliders on high or max.  I bought Central Rockies, and from Jackson airport, the Tetons are all rounded and soft, they look like default mountains!!! What is the issue here?  It looks terrible unless you are on top of the mountains.

For example, I bought Northern California and I went down low around 200 feet or so  around the Coast Range near Sausalito, and the textures turned to mush at a low altitude and the city of San Francisco looks like a model rather than a real city with a few skyscrapers in a sea of mushy textures!.  I also bought Ireland, and the harbor at Howth (Dublin)  is just like a piece of white paper sticking out into the oceanThe coast lines are undefined and flat, they just look like a line dividing water and land. bought England, and the fields are all flickering in to focus over time, and it looks so unrealistic!  Also, the cities look nothing like English cities.  They don't have English row houses!!!

What gives?  What is better scenery?  I can't believe in 2015 there isn't a more realistic looking scenery for flight sim like in the professional simulators, it's ridiculous.  Isn't there something that looks more like real life out there in this day and age?  I tried the photo scenery and that is hardly realistic on take off or landing. 

I bought several Orbx regions for P3D and I'm disappointed because everyone was raving about it being the best.  However it is not very realistic at all.    The textures are not sharp when you go down low even though I have a powerful machine (6 core Haswell Xeon overclocked to 4.5, 32GB RAM, GTX950).  When your flying into a region, like approaching Ireland, the textures and mountains all look like soft mush until you get very close.  I have most of the sliders on high or max.  I bought Central Rockies, and from Jackson airport, the Tetons are all rounded and soft, they look like default mountains!!! What is the issue here?  It looks terrible unless you are on top of the mountains.

For example, I bought Northern California and I went down low around 200 feet or so  around the Coast Range near Sausalito, and the textures turned to mush at a low altitude and the city of San Francisco looks like a model rather than a real city with a few skyscrapers in a sea of mushy textures!.  I also bought Ireland, and the harbor at Howth (Dublin)  is just like a piece of white paper sticking out into the oceanThe coast lines are undefined and flat, they just look like a line dividing water and land. bought England, and the fields are all flickering in to focus over time, and it looks so unrealistic!  Also, the cities look nothing like English cities.  They don't have English row houses!!!

What gives?  What is better scenery?  I can't believe in 2015 there isn't a more realistic looking scenery for flight sim like in the professional simulators, it's ridiculous.  Isn't there something that looks more like real life out there in this day and age?  I tried the photo scenery and that is hardly realistic on take off or landing. 

Screenshots? 

So yeah dudes, I can't find the option, so Here is the issue:

One example: Go to CRM and look at Tetons from Jackson Hole.  They are soft mountains, they look like blurry textres, not like real mountains that are jagged and defined, yes?  .  The Grand Teton mountain looks like a melting ice cream desert from afar.    ANd when you go fly near them, they turn sharp when you get really close. The textures don't update properly from afar, it's really bad..  I have my LOD turned up to MAX Too!  Something is wrong in Orbx softare as this is happening all over the place, also in the California scenery.  I can't believe I spent 200 dollars on this ######: I bought the whole pile, the FTX global, Vector, LC, and 4 regions, and 3 airports.  Also, FTX global is hardly better than default.  IF this is the best in the industry, the industry is in a sad state of affairs, sorry folks. NO more scenery purchases for me until they fix the blurry textures and make them more realistic looking.  For now, I'm thinking of going back to megascenery, at least when I'm flying high it looks real and not like a blurry painting.

The textures are not sharp when you go down low even though I have a powerful machine (6 core Haswell Xeon overclocked to 4.5, 32GB RAM, GTX950)

That's not an especially powerful PC for P3D, which heavily leverages the GPU...a GTX950 is actually a pretty anemic video card, and not a good performance match to the rest of the system.  P3D is a 32-bit program, and cannot use more than 4GB of virtual address space, no matter how much RAM the system has.

Sounds like you're not loading textures properly and getting the blurries...and possibly that you have some unrealistic expectations of your add-on scenery as well.  Have you tried making any adjustments to the FiberFrameTimeFraction or TextureMaxLoad values?  Also, might not be a bad idea to do a search for topics on setting the processor affinity mask in P3D, especially if you have hyperthreading turned on.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Two things:

1. Do you think that if your problem would be a general issue of ORBX sceneries, that no one other would be complaining? Think about the fact that most people love ORBX sceneries and really like what ORBX offers. Then you might realize that the problem is not ORBX but your settings, your tweaking, your computer or alltogether. Absolutely no need to call ORBX products #####.

2. As Bob said, you run a computer comparable to a Ferrari chassis (Hexacore i7 at 4.5GHz) with a two cylinder 50PS engine (GTX-950, nothing more than a office graphics card). You might know that P3D shifted a lot of load from the CPU to the GPU, so while your setup is basically ok for FSX, it is certainly not for P3D. Consider a GPU exchange or adjust the settings according to your GPU performance...

Besides that, do not expect wonders. If you are sitting on an airport and look at distant mountains, they will always look blurred and not loaded with the full LOD of the mesh, no matter how high you have the LOD slider etc. It is an internal limitation of the engine that the highest LOD is only loaded around your plane, looking from your plane away will always give you lower LODs, especially if you zoom and look even further away. Furthermore, you need to compare things: you can not simply say that with the ORBX scenery, things look terrible if you do not compare the views to how it was before installing the ORBX product.

Last, screenshots are very easy to include here. For example abload.de offers very simple ways to upload screenshots and provides you then with a link that you can paste here and the screenshot will show up. And there are plenty of other online tools available to upload screenshots for forums, simply ask Google...

Finally, if you would provide some information on your settings (both in P3D and in the nVidia Control Panel or the nVidia Inspector) and on your Prepar3d.cfg, we could try to help you getting the most out of your computer. But certainly not, if you start yelling around how crap ORBX sceneries are. Think about it...

• Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I see by your post count your a newbie. I would switch over to fsx/fsx_se where the cpu rules but even there your card is going to struggle.

ZORAN

Your GPU is the problem not ORBX,

tpewpb-6.png

How post a screen shot?  I don't see an option.

Hello Larry, welcome to the Avsim Forums. 

To post a screen shot,  there are several different sites to use,  i like Flicker.  

1) Set up a Flickr account.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/flicker/  You will need to create a Yahoo Email. It's really quick and easy, and allows you store all the photos you want to upload. It's great because you can wipe them off my drive after, and still keep them around.

2) Upload the photo you want to share with us on Flickr. 

3) Once it's uploaded, at the bottom right of the photo, there will be 4 buttons/icons. Click on the second from the right, or rather, the share button.

4) In the share popup, there will be two sections, "Share" and "Code". Under "Code", select BBCode,  From there, easy peasy, just copy and paste the link wherever you want the picture to turn up, and through magic internet juju, there you have it, the picture you uploaded on Flickr will be embedded in your reply!

You can thank , Aamir  "coockies" for this information. 

Alright folks, I guess I jumped the gun.  I feel like an idiot buying such a poor card for my higher performance computer.  I was under the false impression that it was a decent enough card because flight sims used the CPU primarily.  OH well, idiot me ;)

Well, I will consider lowering the levels and just dealing with the issue for now I suppose until I can pony up for a cutting edge card.   Given that ORBX is not to blame, but rather my card and P3D's poor outdated engine, I offer my apologies to Orbx, you make fine products on the whole folks, carry on with the  good work. 

I'll see if I can get that screen shot.

Thanks guys.

Is the GTX 950 really that bad? I have a 970 and I feel like my ground textures are just fine. 

To post a screenshot, first take one in the sim using the V key. Upload it to a site like imgur or photobucket. Then, press the 'image' button here (11th button from the right on the lower level) and put the link to the image in the dialogue box. 

ORBX really does some fantastic stuff.  The real problem is that both FSX and P3D are based on a very outdated software and therefore the scope for add-on developers is limited.  That said, with ORBX you can really get fantastic results and I've put a few screens below.  I have had my fair share of blurries and issues, but its all down to getting the right compromises for what you want your flight sim to do.

I do hope you are able to get it working.

Matt

A fly-past of Vesuvius (lucky for those passengers seated on the right side of the plane!)

mg6B0aK.jpg

Leaving the southern coast of the UK - it may not be precisely the right streetmap and building techniques but I'm flight simming not road map simming!

W1jg4xD.jpg

Night flight over the mid-US!

5uGFnV2.jpg

The Alps off to the left - I think we're off to Rome!

7bwX3Mv.jpg

The return flight.

VCPwTKM.jpg

And this is one were my computer screams out in pain - 27R approach to London Heathrow - texture loading is usually okay bit autogen lags way behind and in the VC I'm lucky to make 10fps (its so hard to turn those settings down!)

qxrlPOh.jpg

Computer specs:

Intel core i7 5960X o/c'd to 4.4GHz (never lucky in the silicon lottery...)

3xnVidia Titan Blacks in SLI (give eBay a chance!)

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/6173465

Addons:

ORBX: FTX Global BASE, VECTOR, OpenLC EU

FSGlobal 2010 mesh

Aerosoft Airbuses

Majestic Q400

Remember with GTX cards the middle digit is most significant and indicates its place in the range...the x50 is low end.

See http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+950 

The leading digit indicates generation and a several year old 770 beats a new 960, let alone a 950.

OTOH its not a HUGE difference - so this level of disatisfaction is probably more than just the card being overloaded...

Looking at the 260 at the same site indicates very budget performance....

To really bring a card to its knees and get the BEST state-of-the-art FSX scenery requires full detail ESI scenery - see the current ESI tribute thread.

Cheers

Keith