Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Right and left fwd wing doors lights illuminated

Today I noticed how the warning lights for the right and left forward overwing doors were illuminated on the overhead panel and I'm not sure why they were illuminated nor how to make them go off since I couldn't even find how to control these doors.

So...I decided to take off despite this warning and interestingly enough once I got up in the air the lights went out.

Anyone else seen this?

This is what it looked like on the overhead panel and should also mention that I checked for any failures and none were reported.

FWD%20Overwing%20indicators%20illuminate

Richard Åsberg

Hi,

You can control these doors through the doors menu in the options of the FMC (LSK3 and RSK3).

These buttons control both the fwd and aft overwing exits.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

From what I've read this is caused by the door locks not engaging soon enough when you throttle up, so the system shows an error, but the lights should go out relative quick as the lock engages.

One of the quirks of a 737NG.

Nope, tried that but those LSKs operate the aft overwings doors not the forward ones I believe. I tried all LSKs and none of them had any effect on the lights that were illuminated on the overhead panel.

From what I've read this is caused by the door locks not engaging soon enough when you throttle up, so the system shows an error, but the lights should go out relative quick as the lock engages.

Ok, good to know - thanks!

Richard Åsberg

I guess the question is were the quirks actually modeled. I wouldn't doubt it with the level of detail they went into. I think I read that that might be one of those random bugs that you could have diagnosed with the QRH or something like that.

I had a quirk show up on throttle up just 2 nights ago, the master caution came on... at throttle up...  but extinguished after about a second. Threw me for a loop as I was about to cut and pull off to figure out what's going on. No issues though

I guess the question is were the quirks actually modeled. I wouldn't doubt it with the level of detail they went into. I think I read that that might be one of those random bugs that you could have diagnosed with the QRH or something like that.

I had a quirk show up on throttle up just 2 nights ago, the master caution came on... at throttle up...  but extinguished after about a second. Threw me for a loop as I was about to cut and pull off to figure out what's going on. No issues though

See my last post  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

I wonder if this might be covered by the Intro Manual...

Looking at the dots I guess it might be...

Actually when I think about it I do recall I might have read about this long time ago and how some of the quirks also found in the real aircraft are modelled in the NGX so maybe this is one of them. That's pretty cool if that's the case :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Yeah.. its in there. That was the paragraph I recalled, however I didn't recall it exactly. Ha! - my error was probably one in the same as yours... I wouldn't have seen the warnings on the OH panel what with me looking out the window of the Cap'n seat, but I did catch the master warning.

As Kyle said it is covered in the intro manual. During initial acceleration during takeoff it's possible, from time to time, for the overwing exit latches to indicate unlatched, momentarily. When this happens you'll the caution light will illuminate momentarily and then extinguish. It's a quirk of the real NG that PMDG has modeled in. I'm not sure at what point Richard's picture was taken especially since the hydraulic pumps don't seem to be properly configured for takeoff.

Dave

Dave Paige

For more information, RSR wrote a post a while back, here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/376911-problem-with-overwing-doors-lights/#entry2394896

As Kyle said it is covered in the intro manual. During initial acceleration during takeoff it's possible, from time to time, for the overwing exit latches to indicate unlatched, momentarily. When this happens you'll the caution light will illuminate momentarily and then extinguish. It's a quirk of the real NG that PMDG has modeled in. I'm not sure at what point Richard's picture was taken especially since the hydraulic pumps don't seem to be properly configured for takeoff.

My guess is right before push, given that you'd see the HYD look like that with operators who used the older types of 73s.

Kyle Rodgers

So, just landed at FlyTampa Vienna, nice looking airport :smile:

The screenshot was taken just after the FS2Crew FO finished his before start procedures and before I was about to call for the before start checklist. This was when I spotted these lights being illuminated on the overhead panel and I figured I needed to find a way to make them go off to avoid having the FS2Crew FO telling me we have a door light on. When I found no way to make the lights go out I decided to call for the before start checklist despite the lights and he didn't react to them so I guess he's not "programmed" to check for these lights.

I now realise what made this happen in my case, or at least I think so. When I loaded P3D and the NGX before tonight's flight I noticed how the throttles were pushed all the way forward despite my physical TQ (Saitek) was not. I then realised I had some issue with the Saitek TQ not being enabled and recognised by Windows so I re-enabled it. I then moved the throttle levers on the TQ all the way forward and then back all the way to idle and then the throttle levers in the NGX followed and all was good again. Guess this must have been what caused my issue.

One question for you Kyle. You said looking at the HYD panel indicated how the pumps usually were operated in older 73s? This is interesting because what the HYD looks like in my screenshot is all thanks to the FS2Crew FO. Maybe I need to check the FS2Crew settings if this is not how the HYD normally looks like in a 737NG operated in 2015. I'm a little surprised if how the FS2Crew FO operates the HYD pumps isn't the correct way using modern SOP because I know a couple of real world NG drivers were in the beta team for FS2Crew Reboot.

Richard Åsberg

One question for you Kyle. You said looking at the HYD panel indicated how the pumps usually were operated in older 73s? This is interesting because what the HYD looks like in my screenshot is all thanks to the FS2Crew FO. Maybe I need to check the FS2Crew settings if this is not how the HYD normally looks like in a 737NG operated in 2015. I'm a little surprised if how the FS2Crew FO operates the HYD pumps isn't the correct way using modern SOP because I know a couple of real world NG drivers were in the beta team for FS2Crew Reboot.

It isn't wrong. It's simply something that operators who at one point operated the older models do for commonality. At one point they operated both, and to keep procedures the same for both new and old fleets, they used the same procedures. That procedure called for the (now unnecessary) splitting of the HYD panel.

Kyle Rodgers

OK, cool - thanks for the info Kyle!

If I recall correctly I learned in the past how the ENG HYD pumps are normally always left ON in the NG, does that sound correct?

Richard Åsberg

OK, cool - thanks for the info Kyle!

If I recall correctly I learned in the past how the ENG HYD pumps are normally always left ON in the NG, does that sound correct?

Could be operator specific, but it is correct for us.  The ENG HYD pump switches are always in the on position unless an abnormal procedure checklist calls for it to be turned off.

FWIW, this seems to happen too frequently in the sim.  I've been flying the NG for several years now and have never once seen this quirk happen in the actual plane.  Im not saying the quirk isnt real, just that it's pretty rare, at least in my experience.