Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

New Overclocked PC but what Ghz?

Evening all

I am a noob with all of this I will admit. I have now received my 6700k overclocked to 4.6Ghz apparently.

Ive downloaded CpuZ and can't see where it says 4.6Ghz or if it is at all at 4.6.

Ive attatched the CPUZ reading and the task manager performance page.

Also, I see it has 4 cores but 8 logical cores, what would be the best AM for me in P3D?

Thanks for the help

34rcg8l.png

Adam

something is not right..see core speed..its only 800MHz?  

It should be close to 46000

Your multiplier is set from 8-46.. I am thinking the multiplier is currentlyt only 8 ...and it could throttle up to 46 bringing it to close to 46000

Can you take the CPU-Z screen  shot while running  your Simulator (pushing it to full load)?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Manny

Thanks for the reply..

I dont have the simulator installed yet as its a new PC, Maybe I need to select the overclocked profile in the BIOS somewhere?

I did think the same as you, it should be 46000 but as I am a noob I thought I had better check.

Adam

Don't select anything now in BIOS..leave it as is..

you need to run some program like your sim  so the CPU gets busy and it could automatically throttle up to 46 multiplier... 

These are variable speed... if you are not running anything it will throttle itself down... so don't worry for now ..until you install your sim and check it out while your CPU is busy

This is a power saving mechanism...why use electiricty if you the CPU is simply sleeping. :)

You could force your CPU to always run at 4600..but not advisable.. 

• Upvote 2

Manny

Fair enough, makes sense

Ill have a look when P3D is installed, thanks for the advice :)

Also, what would you reccomend my AM to be ?

Thanks

Adam

IF you OCed it yourself you can download stress test program like this and run it..and then check your CPU-Z while this is running.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/CPUMark.shtml

do you have HT (hyper threading turned off?)

Assuming you have not... just use it as is..default..don';t set AF for now...if everything is running fine..don't tweek.

IF you must then try AffinityMask=253   (with HT) Affinitymast =15 (with HT turned off)

Manny

My i5 4690k throttles right down to 800Mhz when at idle, but throttles up to 4.6Ghz when the power is required. This is all done automatically these days.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As the others have said... it will reduce it's voltage and frequency when under a light load. Run something stressful like the sim, and the frequency and voltage will increase.

I just have mine set to run 4.5ghz at all times,but I'm only running 1.15v through my cpu anyway.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

As the others have said... it will reduce it's voltage and frequency when under a light load. Run something stressful like the sim, and the frequency and voltage will increase.

+1, and if you'd like 'real time' visual confirmation, install REALTEMP (free download) and see your CPU throttle between 800 and 4600 and pretty well maintaining the OC when your sim is running.

JJ

I have SpeedStep disabled on my 5960X - always runs at 4.625Ghz HT OFF at 1.48v.  You'll have to experiment with the 6700 and see what it likes best, Steve has good information here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/478995-ht-off-saves-vas-and-increases-fps/

If you run high voltages, you'll need appropriate cooling.  If the CPU/VRM gets too hot thermal protection will kick in and throttle it -- assuming you keep thermal protection enabled (and I recommend you do).

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks all, Ill have a look when P3D is running.

I havent turned the thermal protection off, infact I only had the rig 2 days ago, how would I check that or would it naturally be on?

Thanks

Adam

Thermal protection is presumably the CPU cooler. That should be active by default.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png