Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

To buy v3 or wait until 3.1

Good evening all,

I am about to plunge in and buy P3D, I'm wondering, as it will be a fresh install on a new PC, if I am better to wait until v3.1 or just buy v3 and upgrade it when it comes out?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Hi Adam, if you've got the patience for a week or two, I'd wait (as nothing beats a clean install for a solid foundation).

Wouldn't 3.1 be a patch that would install into 3.0?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

So... to wait or to buy V3 and update to 3.1..... hmmmmm

Adam

I had the same question these recent weeks :smile: . I went for it today under the assumption that 3.0 seems to work OK, according to the simmers crowd, plus/minus minor flaws and that 3.1 may cure them but also bring new "issues".  Installing now...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It will depend on what is being patched. If it is something that overwrites an add-on, you will need to reinstall that add on. If not - you are good to go. I'd go ahead and get it set up but don't add anything until 3/1 is released. Flying the default stuff can give you a good feeling of what you like and don't like and need to adjust.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

V3.1 is a "Client" patch. No "Content" should be affected at all.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ok, Ill go ahead and install it then I guess.

Thanks

Adam

Don't forget - Let Us know how You like it !!?? Johnman B)

Hey Bill, actually some content is affected by V3.1 ... the content is not "required", but I'm pretty sure most will want it.  

With that said, I'd still buy 3.0 now, install the basic 3.0 product and don't install any add-ons.  Get a feel for how nice and smooth the base product is so you'll have a good performance/VAS reference point.  Once 3.1 is released, uninstall 3.0 and re-install full v3.1.

Basically the following applies when it comes to 3rd party products already installed:

1.  Client Installer will not impact those products that stick to the SDK, however for products that work outside the SDK (ASN, Orbx, FSUIPC, F1 GTN, etc.) then you'll need to get an update from them that supports V3.1 (in most cases this is just an update from 3rd party and no re-installation of the 3rd party product is required).

2.  Content Installer, if you have any 3rd party that adjusts original P3D content (effects, sounds, default aircraft etc.) then the Content Installer "might" overwrite those files.

3.  Scenery Installer, if you have any 3rd party scenery (basically any 3rd party entries in your scenery library) then this installer will overwrite those files.

4.  Full Installer (all 3rd party removed and or manually remove any remnants of the P3D directories - 5 in all)

Some assumptions here and things to be aware off with 3rd party, the V3.0 Uninstaller will NOT remove a directory that contains files that didn't originate from the Installer, so if you have .cfg backups, DLL.XML and EXE.XML and/or other files created by 3rd party products ... those files will remain leaving your older P3D V3 directory structure intact.  You can leave them there if you choose, but that is not what I consider a "clean install".

Clear as mud?  Ask and I'll try to clarify.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for your input everyone, I am going to hold fire I think until 3.1 and configure my new comp and get rid of everything I don't need first.. 

Thanks again

Adam

Switched a few weeks ago. With a good computer i'd say go for it because it is night and day between FSX and P3D

rb_banner_driver.png        ugcx_banner.png

Olisa "Ols" Achonye  

USN/USAF