Sign in to follow this  
Adam Reed

To buy v3 or wait until 3.1

I took the dive into P3D Pro last week. I wish I had done it sooner, debating on uninstalling my FSX to free up room for P3D add-ons. My only chief complaint is that PMDG isn't going to bring the MD-11 into P3D. Other than that, I may never use FSX again. P3D is sooo much smoother, I have had zero issues with P3D, no OOM errors, no fatal crashes, nothing. And coming into Heathrow at full settings with the PMDG 777 is steady at 35fps. Something I could never get close to in FSX. Just hope the software developers, will bring their FSX products into P3D. I would hate to fly without some of the scenery I have been used to seeing.

• Upvote 1

I just reinstalled 3.0 on the weekend as I'd broken it, it's not exactly a painful expoerience. Not a big deal to install and then remove it in a week or two. Buy it now, but I wouldn't spend too much time installing add-ons. Things that can be added via the scenery library are fine, though - no dramas to read-add these once 3.1 comes out.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Yep, wait for 3.1 and see if its a full install version.

LOL @ thinking simmers have patience.

-Roland

That's why I did a full 3.0 reinstall on Saturday despite knowing that 3.1 was highly imminent. Why would you wait for a week-ish for 3.1 when you could be flying right now?!?

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

That's why I did a full 3.0 reinstall on Saturday despite knowing that 3.1 was highly imminent. Why would you wait for a week-ish for 3.1 when you could be flying right now?!?

That was I said to myself few days ago :wink:  and went for it ! 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I've been pretty much P3D-exclusive since v1. Kind of got used to the uninstall/reinstall routine now, all the addons are nicely organised with serials on hand, everything that can be added via scenery library is set up to do that (and SimStarter can remember my scenario setup), plus I've learned which addons I REALLY need. There's not that many that actually need a re-install: NGX, FS2Crew, GTN750, an A2A plane, the Realair Duke Turbine, maybe some Orbx stuff though I change what I install each time (a full Orbx reintall does take a while!). I'd guess the Saturday install took under an hour.

Not sure what P3D v3 has in store for us over the next couple of years regarding reinstalls - but I'm ready for action if necessary!

Oz

LOL @ thinking simmers have patience.

When P3Dv3 was released, I decided to wait till the bugs were sorted out. I then decided that thirty minutes was long enough, and reached for the credit card.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Wait for P3D v3.2 before you migrate....

under my experience on many heavy coded products such as Simulators, OS, etc., usually only after the 2nd Support Pack of a Major release you get to some kind of stability.

the same was true with P3Dv2. only when 2.2 was released (some would even say only when v2.3), you got a satisfied product stability.

that is what I am planing on doing. I am waiting for v3.2

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Good point, but you may be waiting a while.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

even better would be to wait until the year 2055 and then enjoy a completely new level for Flight Simulator....of course if you still live :Shame On You:

Good point, but you may be waiting a while.

probably, but so far I am pretty happy with my P3Dv2.5, so it's not such a big issue for me to wait a bit longer

just the thought of having to reconfigure everything from scratch and installing everything gives me the shivers, never the less doing it twice  

if I would had decided to migrate now to P3Dv3.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

LOL! Frankly, I'm amazed how well P3Dv3 is performing with all the usual ORBX stuff and much more besides. It is, by far, the most beautiful and stable simulator ever to grace our screens. Version 3.1 will have to go some to persuade me to update again....unless, of course, the latest update path proves to be much easier than before. I think I'll wait until all the self-inflicted scars are healing :)

Mike

A choice we make based on add-ons and how much time we have to install/activate all of them. I bought v3 when released. A major issue and change in .1 will involve input devices and controllers which has kept me mostly flying FSX until .1 arrives. I prefer a supported v3 installer too, so haven't migrated.

Back to activations. Usually, they are limited, so I'll wait for 3.1 before another round. Interesting to note that my new video card prompted an FSX and some add-on re-activations along with re-registering every gauge on every plane. P3D v3 did not require re-activation.

A few quirks as expected with any major build. Overall, I'm very happy with v3 and even happier that LM is building 3.1.

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

When P3Dv3 was released, I decided to wait till the bugs were sorted out. I then decided that thirty minutes was long enough, and reached for the credit card.

I waited for 2 months before moving to V3, and glad I did. Avoided many of the headaches that popped up until all the updated installers were released. Will probably wait before getting 3.1 too, because 3 is working very well now with zero issues. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hey Bill, actually some content is affected by V3.1 ... the content is not "required", but I'm pretty sure most will want it.  

With that said, I'd still buy 3.0 now, install the basic 3.0 product and don't install any add-ons.  Get a feel for how nice and smooth the base product is so you'll have a good performance/VAS reference point.  Once 3.1 is released, uninstall 3.0 and re-install full v3.1.

Basically the following applies when it comes to 3rd party products already installed:

1.  Client Installer will not impact those products that stick to the SDK, however for products that work outside the SDK (ASN, Orbx, FSUIPC, F1 GTN, etc.) then you'll need to get an update from them that supports V3.1 (in most cases this is just an update from 3rd party and no re-installation of the 3rd party product is required).

2.  Content Installer, if you have any 3rd party that adjusts original P3D content (effects, sounds, default aircraft etc.) then the Content Installer "might" overwrite those files.

3.  Scenery Installer, if you have any 3rd party scenery (basically any 3rd party entries in your scenery library) then this installer will overwrite those files.

4.  Full Installer (all 3rd party removed and or manually remove any remnants of the P3D directories - 5 in all)

Some assumptions here and things to be aware off with 3rd party, the V3.0 Uninstaller will NOT remove a directory that contains files that didn't originate from the Installer, so if you have .cfg backups, DLL.XML and EXE.XML and/or other files created by 3rd party products ... those files will remain leaving your older P3D V3 directory structure intact.  You can leave them there if you choose, but that is not what I consider a "clean install".

Clear as mud?  Ask and I'll try to clarify.

Cheers, Rob.

And THIS is what I feared.  IF LM provides a patch, then will this patch affect content anf if it does, then that means that other 3rd party folks who got cuaght up to P3D V3 and didn't set their own installers to inject their content to their own folders, will mean that we may have to do a reinstall of content affected, which again, i fear the ORBX content will need a reinstall.  Can Rob clarify this?

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit