Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Taking the P3D Plunge Today

Last night I bought and downloaded P3D and the P3D-compatible PMDG 737/777 plus ASN.  Installing later today.  Looking forward to the new experience and would welcome any tips based on your experience.  My current system is five years old but runs FSX SE on Windows 10 extremely well with the programs I mentioned already installed.

Cheers!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Dont aim for FPS, aim for a smooth sim, and start off low on the sliders and work your way up until your happy. :good:

Adam

Hi Luis,

Ditto - and I'm going straight from a hardcore FS9 user - to P3D - bypassing FSX completely. Plan on working the install when I get home tonight... Good luck...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

"The force awaits....."

You mean "The Force Awakens", ha!  :smile:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Last night I bought and downloaded P3D and the P3D-compatible PMDG 737/777 plus ASN. Installing later today. Looking forward to the new experience and would welcome any tips based on your experience. My current system is five years old but runs FSX SE on Windows 10 extremely well with the programs I mentioned already installed.

Cheers!

I'm interested to see how it runs in your older rig with the NGX and T7.

I'm considering trying it, but I'm on an 2700K with a GTX670 2GB. I'm not worried about my CPU clock speed, but worried about my 2GB GPU holding me back. The only thing I'm really interested in running 3xtra that FSX doesn't have is cloud shadows and VC shadows. All the other shadows I can live without.

What are your computer specs that you running P3D on?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

After installing in this order: P3D, SimConnect, Active Sky Next + SP4 beta to enable P3Dv3 functionality, then PMDG 737 and 777, I get between 15 and 20 FPS in the virtual cockpit on a very cloudy day at LAX with relatively max sliders.  I'm still playing with sliders.  I will probably swap my GTX 580 card from 2011 to a GTX 990 since this program does use the GPU more. 

I'll keep playing around with the settings. .

No crashes of any type so far.

Thanks for the comments.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I'm interested to see how it runs in your older rig with the NGX and T7.

I'm considering trying it, but I'm on an 2700K with a GTX670 2GB. I'm not worried about my CPU clock speed, but worried about my 2GB GPU holding me back. The only thing I'm really interested in running 3xtra that FSX doesn't have is cloud shadows and VC shadows. All the other shadows I can live without.

What are your computer specs that you running P3D on?

i7-2700K CPU @3.50 GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 580 (rig bought from Jetline Systems in 2010)

LUIS LINARES

My advice, install one or two add ons at a time and note the effects. Load a whole bunch of things at once, and something goes awry, it can become difficult to find out what is causing the problem. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My advice, install one or two add ons at a time and note the effects. Load a whole bunch of things at once, and something goes awry, it can become difficult to find out what is causing the problem. 

That's the plan.  I really like it so far and I'll eventually find the visual/performance balance I want.

LUIS LINARES

P3DV3 SP1 is due out later this month (last I heard), I'd wait until it was released as it MAY require a re-installation.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

P3DV3 SP1 is due out later this month (last I heard), I'd wait until it was released as it MAY require a re-installation.

Good to know, thanks

LUIS LINARES

I have a i7 920 OC at 3.5 ghz, 24gb DDR3, and 2 GTX 660Ti's and I luv P3D. Way better that FSX. If my rig can run it at get 35fps coming into Heathrow with the PMDG 777, I'm sure yours can.

One thing for newbies to P3D to be aware of - generally speaking, the lowest slider setting in P3D is about equal to the highest setting in FSX. So if you slam the sliders full bore - expect a slide show.

Best recommendation is to accept the P3D default settings and fly with them for a while to get a feel for the sim and then make small adjustments as you go. When you get the right balance between CPU/GPU you'll know it. Don't chase FPS, go for smooth operation at whatever FPS you get.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm considering taking the plunge and getting p3d v3 as well. My only concern are the reports of poor AA and shimmering, and having to offset this issue with 4x SGSSA causing a hit on fps with dense clouds. Is this still the case?