Sign in to follow this  
flyguy909

Getting off the ground again!

So after about a 6 year hiatus, I got the itch to get back into flight siming.  Had FSX, can't find the discs, and the few add-ons I had are long gone.  So did a little research and looks to me like X-Plane is the best bet for a fresh startup at this point.  I'm an inactive PP, so the 'alleged' more realistic flight model is attractive.  Plus would like to explore VA's.

I'm waiting for my 16 gigs of ram and new video card to arrive, and also the CH Eclipse yoke and pro pedals I got on ebay.   

I'm a bit overwhelmed with what are must have add-ons at this point.  Maybe someone who's been thru this recently can offer some advice?  Just looking for the first set of have-to-haves.   Then after getting acclimated with that I'm sure I'll be off to the races on my own. 

I have come from FSX (and all previous flight sim software) myself. It took some time, but here is what I think is essential

- XCamera  https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/x-camera/

without a doubt, the most essential addon for x-plane.

- Sky Maxx : very nice. Have used it for so long not sure what it is like without it. Apart from looking good, it increases framerate.

- Plan-G  http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/.

Pretty good moving map and flight planning software. Mainly VFR level stuff (no SIDs, etc), but good enough for most flights.

- FSEconomy. I doubt I would fly very much at all without the FSE community. It gives flying a purpose.

Not much else really. When I first got into XP (and FSX) I downloaded every bit of scenery and every aircraft I imagined I would use. I spent more time doing this than actually flying. Forget all that. Get one of two aircraft that you love to fly - preferably payware, and stick with that. I have never found a freeware aircraft that I like or was good enough.

I also concentrate on narrow areas of scenery (Australia mostly), so now do not have to spend any time at all looking for scenery.

I also like TrackIR, but it is not essential (but I recommend it).

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Welcome to XP 10. You're in luck because I recently became an XP aficionado and I'm eager to share what I've learned.

Take it one step at a time.

1) Scenery: Add HD Mesh V2 & World2XPlane (Donationware)

2) Airports: Look for MisterX6 for the best freeware airports, but there are many others. Check out xplane.org

3) Weather: SkyMaxx Pro V3 (A MUST HAVE) & FSGRW (weather generator.) along with the free RealTerra Haze plug-in.

4) ATC: PFE & the newly released PFE to XP plugin. (PFE is a challenge to setup but it's excellent.)

5) Utilities: There are many good ones, including Headshake, XPUIPC, X-Camera.

6) Planes: Right now my favorite are the AirfoilLabs 172SP, Carenado F33A & B200, Saab 340A, and the SoulMadeSim Beaver.

I have the DVDs and installed only the US, South America, and Europe.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks guys... just what I was looking for.  Also from what I can tell, the steam version is probably the best way to go.  I've downloaded the demo, but does it ever go on sale on steam?

I've downloaded the demo, but does it ever go on sale on steam?

It have been on 50% sale just couple of days ago.

I am sure it will be on sale again around the christmas time. 

Thanks guys... just what I was looking for.  Also from what I can tell, the steam version is probably the best way to go.  I've downloaded the demo, but does it ever go on sale on steam?

Just so you know before you buy, with the steam version AFAIK you will not be able to participate/install beta releases, you would have to wait for final RC (release candidate).

Some don't care for beta releases, but most of us XP junkies do, so its up to you.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo