Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Replacement for Reality XP - Flight Line N and T

I've been on the hunt for Reality XP replacement gauges. Reality XP stopped supporting their stuff for FS9 under Windows 7 and would like to find something comparable for the default aircraft (C172, C182, etc).

Friendly Panels has some nice stuff but was wondering if there is anything else out there. So please advise if you know of some great looking steam gauges and thanks!

Mark

What's to support? The Flight Line N and T gauges work just fine in Win7 x64. There are several users on the RXP forum at Flight1 (Bert Pieke, in particular) who can give you all the help you might need.

DJ

They do? Boy, I'll be tickled if that's true...smiles all around. It is also true that I am getting the cobwebs out here, although, had some issues with the RxpSrv.dll. Maybe that's from the WX500 install and thought it was from the Flight Line stuff?

Thanks and I'll ask Bert and aprecciate the help!

Mark

Faulting application name: fs9.exe, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208

Faulting module name: RxpSrv.dll, version: 5.3.0.1, time stamp: 0x445b5ee6

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000746e

Faulting process id: 0x564

Faulting application start time: 0x01d133adbccbf611

Faulting application path: D:\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\RxpSrv.dll

Report Id: 8522c3b7-9fae-11e5-bb18-1c6f65c59085

The RxpSrv error is usually associated with the GNS modules - Bert's familiar with it...

DJ

Not sure if you are still using the older version of the FLT gauges.

A newer version came out that supported both FS9 and FSX.

RxpSrv.dll is no longer used, as best I know.

Edit: as for the GNS gauges in FS9, separate issue..

PM me for help. 

Bert

I remembered that this might be the case, but DJ had me fooled with hope and certainty! A drum rum roll please as this is the result...

Faulting application name: fs9.exe, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208

Faulting module name: RealityXP_FLN.GAU_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x445b631f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x13632f5a

Faulting process id: 0x590

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1353c6c9197aa

Faulting application path: D:\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe

Faulting module path: RealityXP_FLN.GAU

Report Id: 29b46556-a130-11e5-bd6c-1c6f65c59085

AND the report....

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: fs9.exe

P2: 9.1.0.40901

P3: 4135a208

P4: RealityXP_FLN.GAU_unloaded

P5: 0.0.0.0

P6: 445b631f

P7: c0000005

P8: 13632f5a

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

AppData\Local\Temp\WER1635.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

AppData\Local\Temp\WER178D.tmp.appcompat.txt

AppData\Local\Temp\WER1897.tmp.hdmp

AppData\Local\Temp\WER19B1.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_fs9.exe_81719c3951d525667761b968ce848fe69641e45_cab_080919ec

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 29b46556-a130-11e5-bd6c-1c6f65c59085

Report Status: 5

More...

I have also discovered-slash-remembered that ActiveSky installs an older version of FSUIPC (3.5.2.0) in the "Flight Simulator 9\Modules\ASv6" folder as well. In my infinite wisdom, I also installed the latest version of FSUIPC (3.999z8). Boy do I forget my place sometimes!

Bert, do you suppose that the Reality XP fault could be caused by the duplicated FSUIPC dll. Also, which version of FSUIPC should I keep, the older or the newer. That would be a great first answer as the group would benefit from it.

Additionally and for the sake of posterity, the Reality XP Flight Line product does appear to install the RxpSrv.dll. Unless it was somehow re-installed by Windows 7 from a cached "cab file" when I put the Flight Line N and T gauge sets back into action after I resinstalled them.

So please advise and thanks and it's really nice to hear from you Bert. The cobwebs are definitely being shaken out as I remember all the great responses from both u and Opa! I do appreciate the PM offer as well and would love to take you up on it.

Best Regards...

Mark

By the way, the original question that I had asked was never answered. I'm still hoping to find an alternate solution to the Reality XP Flight Line N and T. Payware or freeware is fine.

Please advise and thanks!

Mark

Hi,

You should keep the latest version of FSUIPC. Never have more than one in FS. Additionally, you should delete the FSUIPC.ini file and let it build a new one, then make your settings.  I have no idea what the issue is the FLN and FLT gauges on your system, although all of the errors shown are access violations - do you run FS from the right click "run as administrator"?  I have them installed in the Dreamfleet Archer and Baron and have no issues...

An extract of the Archer's panel.cfg

gauge35=RealityXP_FLT!TurnCoordinator,  333,429,112,111
gauge36=RealityXP_FLT!Altimeter,  579,304,113,113
gauge37=RealityXP_FLT!VerticalSpeed,  579,430,114,111
gauge38=RealityXP_FLN!ADF,  218,551,112,112
gauge39=RealityXP_FLN!VOR2,  705,427,112,112
gauge40=RealityXP_FLN!ST55X,  850,481,228,59
gauge41=RealityXP_FLN!ST360,  717,247,119,53
gauge42=RealityXP_FLN!VOR1,  704,304,112,112
gauge43=RealityXP_FLN!FDAP,  960,552,29,48

In answer to your original question - I am not aware of any gauges that are as good as these.

DJ

Hi,

You should keep the latest version of FSUIPC. Never have more than one in FS. Additionally, you should delete the FSUIPC.ini file and let it build a new one, then make your settings.  I have no idea what the issue is the FLN and FLT gauges on your system, although all of the errors shown are access violations - do you run FS from the right click "run as administrator"?  I have them installed in the Dreamfleet Archer and Baron and have no issues...

An extract of the Archer's panel.cfg

gauge35=RealityXP_FLT!TurnCoordinator,  333,429,112,111

gauge36=RealityXP_FLT!Altimeter,  579,304,113,113

gauge37=RealityXP_FLT!VerticalSpeed,  579,430,114,111

gauge38=RealityXP_FLN!ADF,  218,551,112,112

gauge39=RealityXP_FLN!VOR2,  705,427,112,112

gauge40=RealityXP_FLN!ST55X,  850,481,228,59

gauge41=RealityXP_FLN!ST360,  717,247,119,53

gauge42=RealityXP_FLN!VOR1,  704,304,112,112

gauge43=RealityXP_FLN!FDAP,  960,552,29,48

In answer to your original question - I am not aware of any gauges that are as good as these.

DJ

Thanks for the update DJ as it was helpful. Reality XP has always been a great product, albeit, a bit tricky to configure as it requires some time and patience to understand what its looking for. At least it appears that way to me.

The Flight Line N and T gauges that I purchased worked relatively well on Windows XP but I've been having issues with them on Windows 7 x64. I routinely turn off services which reduces the workload of the OS and makes for a pretty fast simulation.

In this case, the Reality XP RxpSrv.dll was faulting and the "N" gauges were unloading (a.k.a crashing). After looking at the Win7 logs I noticed that the performance counters for the server service were throwing errors as well.

On my FS9 box, I had the Win7 server service disabled as it didn't appear to be required, that is, up until now. I re-enabled the server service and the Flight Line N gauges appear to be stable, at least so far. The instability seems to have been relieved, however, it brings to light a unbeknownst configuration detail and something that could be noted for future use.

I wonder if the "Srv" part of the RxpSrv.dll name means "Server" and acts in that context for the gauges that it supports. Using the Win7 Server Service thread it fairly powerful and has external network access connotations. That being the case, I ran packet captures while simming and there doesn't appear to be any illicit network traffic generated through my firewall. If the Reality XP RxpSrv.dll product is actually a server, then it appears to be threading to the local gauges only, which is cool.

But all things considered, there were other anomalous behaviors exhibited by duplicated FSUIPC DLLs, masking the underlying issues with the Flight Line products.

One more interesting note, which is not directly related to Reality XP issue, but is along the same lines of the "Security" reports generated when the gauges crashed. Most server products need to have, or be run, with administrative rights. With stand alone DLL libraries, they would run in the process space of the calling application, which in this case, is FS9.exe.

Hope this explanation helps and proves useful for other. Once again, thanks to you and Bert for the help!

Mark