Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Pro ATC X question

First off, I didn't see a specific forum here for these guys.  Hope I didn't miss it if there is one.  Moderators feel free to move this if so.

Anyway, I just bought this yesterday and have a question when it comes to Pro ATC X crashing mid flight.  Has anyone tried to restart it when that happens?  Are you able to connect and have Pro ATC X continue on or will it want you to be back at the gate of your departure airport?  Or, worse yet, will it move you to that point?  I am just continuing on for this flight because I don't want to take the chance of crashing the sim but just curious if anyone has tried to reconnect after a crash and how it has worked for you?

Oh, for what it's worth, I run Pro ATC X in a network config.

Also, so far this seems like an excellent program, despite the crash.  I haven't flown with ATC in so long because I got so sick of Radar Contact and it's 'same old, same old' script.  This has areas for improvement, that's for sure.  But this is so much better than anything we've had in flight sim so far, IMO.

Thanks!

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Anyway, I just bought this yesterday and have a question when it comes to Pro ATC X crashing mid flight.  Has anyone tried to restart it when that happens?  Are you able to connect and have Pro ATC X continue on or will it want you to be back at the gate of your departure airport?  Or, worse yet, will it move you to that point?  I am just continuing on for this flight because I don't want to take the chance of crashing the sim but just curious if anyone has tried to reconnect after a crash and how it has worked for you?

hmm. i think i tried that once and it basically was waiting for me to ask for clearance again, i don't think there is a way to force it into cruise phase. there is a mechanism for saving and loading your flight situation, so that might be useable but only if you already saved it? i don't think it's possible to auto-save. incidentally i've only seen maybe 2 crashes in around 100 flights so it's not a common problem. if it happens to you again or is causing a lot of troubles you should consider posting your logfile over at their official forums, they have a fairly responsive support team.

cheers

-andy crosby

ProATC/X works perfectly in a networked environment. Many users (including me) run this way and it is a supported way to use it.

Try asking in the ProATC/X forum. Very helpful and several really skilled users/moderators visit regularly:

http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcxforum/forum/index.php

Do some searching and browse the FAQ. There are several solutions to common problems to be found there. (And there are a new version in beta where even more glitches are fixed).

I bought it yesterday. Didnt had a crash till know.

I bought real atc soundset in adition pro atc is really good

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

The Pro ATC forum is excellent and responses are quick and accurate. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

FWIW, after setting ProATCx to run in Win7 compatibility mode on my FS-client, all my ProATCx crashes seemed to cease; using the latest version 1.7.x. P3Dv3 and the FS-client are running on Win-10 Pro PC's.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

FWIW, after setting ProATCx to run in Win7 compatibility mode on my FS-client, all my ProATCx crashes seemed to cease; using the latest version 1.7.x. P3Dv3 and the FS-client are running on Win-10 Pro PC's.

Do you have Pro ATC X set to communicate with AI?  I turned this setting off and have now had no crashes since.  But, I did have it freeze once upon contacting ground for taxi.  It never recovered after that.  But, prior to turning off communication with AI, I would crash 90% of the time.  I'm running Pro ATC X on Win10 Pro too so may have to give this a shot and maybe would try turning back on AI communication.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

These tips might help you what I did ProATC on network to stop crashes

1. Add ProATC to firewall exclusion on client side

2. Running on laptop without powerful cpu, I download free JetBoost to kill all kinds of uneccesary stuff on client

3. I use comodo anti virus on client, I set this to game mode

4. Add ports used by ProATC in your simconnect code to firewall allowed ports on both Host and Client

proatc never crashed since.

These tips might help you what I did ProATC on network to stop crashes

1. Add ProATC to firewall exclusion on client side

2. Running on laptop without powerful cpu, I download free JetBoost to kill all kinds of uneccesary stuff on client

3. I use comodo anti virus on client, I set this to game mode

4. Add ports used by ProATC in your simconnect code to firewall allowed ports on both Host and Client

proatc never crashed since.

So, what other ports does Pro ATC X use?  As far as I know, it uses SimConnect.  I have that port open.  I believe that should be all that is needed.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

@Klamal

The only port that needs adding is the one in Simconnect for ProATC.

Not sure what you mean by have the port open. But in windows firewall it wants to be set to allowed.

Honestly I already had that setup when I had crashes.

Next I set anti virus to GameMOde

And gave the client PC some juice by using free JetBoost to kill all unnecessary tasks/services on client.

So its just the one port that needs adding.

Again what I think really did it, was extra CPU juice on client plus setting anti virus to gamemode,.

Port open = port allowed.  Same thing.  Network terminology, that's all.  :)

I can't give it more "juice".  I don't run anti-virus on either pc, so it's not that.  I get the DSound.dll crash when it crashes for me.  But, it hasn't now since disabling communicate with AI.  So, may be an issue with Pro ATC X trying to access sound system somehow.  Maybe not multi-threading properly/at all?  Maybe Windows fault.  I don't know.  It would be nice if this could be detected at least by Pro ATC X and instead of the app crashing, just not play that sound or something.  But, totally just guesses.  I'm not a Windows developer so am totally guessing here if it's even possible to do.

Anyway, I can live without the AI communication.  By far the best ATC add on right now still.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

The fact that its sound dll crashing suggests maybe you get JetBoost and try.

I say that cause ProATC is very cpu demanding when its playing sound, this caused stutters on my p3d pc, that why I put it on client machine.

Not sure how powerfull your client computer is, but my laptop aint all that, with JetBoost even menus on the laptop more fluid.

Unless your client pc is some i7, Ill say Jetboost is only thing you aint tried yet.

Better yet just raise the priority of ProATC on client.

ProATC is not programmed very well when it comes to playing sound too cpu demanding. And your crashing file sound.dll

Please go the official support forum a do a search with DSound.dll. This will give you answers for the most common causes. I you are still getting crashes, please post a log.

I'm running ProATC networked with a 12 year old laptop without crashes (or the need for JetBoost).