Sign in to follow this  
nickcaldwell4587

Attention to detail 747 v2

Dear PMDG team.

Its been good to see the recent screen shots of the latest progress on the upcoming 747 400 / 8 v2 versions. The extra Attention to detail thats been mentioned along with these updates is clearly visable in both the external model and the interior (vc) in both modelling and texture work which is all looking great generally i think. Im very aware that the images that have been published are all works in progress and can potentially change be altered and are not necessarily the final product. However in the spirit of attention to detail i hope you dont mind me drawing your attention to a few areas that ii feel would benefit from some minor adjustment/ tweaks. So i have included a few images of my own to highlight the areas more clearly.

as follows.

Internal (VC);

pls see the image below of the glare shield, the upper end corners should be far less sharp and more rounded in form. Many may think this is very minor however i think that because this particular area is right in fron of the pilots faces directly it would be one of those niggly things that you would keep noticing and a shame to not fix when the rest of the vc is beautifully and accurately modelled.

Also the colour of the glareshield ends on the 747-8 is too light a brown it appears. This may just be the lighting conditions when the original shot was taken but in reality they seem to appear much darker shade of brow/charcoal on the real aircraft.

PMDG_748vc131.gif?sbsr=2594fce5f79efa331

real image of 747-8 below

1_online.gif?sbsr=0a75edc613c62f5360fe36

Exterior;

when looking at the flightdeck windows i notice i few items.

1. the glareshield height and shape do not resemble  that of the real world aircraft or that of the glareshield in the vc. the glareshield is far too low and too rounded in its lateral contour. it should be very intrusive in its height and prominence filling most of the windscreen so that only the pilots heads can be seen from outside. this is realistic and a design feature of modern airliner glareshield in general, to be as large as possible to reduce glare entering the flighdeck through the windscreen. and in the sim this area is often somewhat overlooked in addon aircraft but its nice for the simmer to see the same structure he sees internally replicated externally as much as possible particulally in highly visable areas like this. it help to make that connection between exterior model and interior model more realistic in the mind of the simmer i feel rather than being remindeded they are completely seperate mdls .

pls see image below

3_online.gif?sbsr=2567e3954cc1cc7ac9219d

and

4_online.gif?sbsr=fd7c69e8af49083bc38772

and correct height/shape of glareshield below

PMDG_744RR_bank_crop5.gif?sbsr=c7469e9e0

2.  front windscreen glass should have a distinctive blue/green tint compared to side flightdeck windows.

3. windscreen wiper catch tab is missing

4. rear flighdeck windows inner wall should be much thicker please see real world image above  and 747 v2 shot below. This point is actually quite noticable on the real aircraft from  the outside, gives true feeling of how cramped and small the 747 flightdeck really is in reality due to the amount of innerstructure around windows and walls.

PMDG_744RR_bank_12.gif?sbsr=560d107038e7

I hope these points can be regarded constructivly in the spirit of trying to contribute positivly to creating the most realsitic simulation of a 747 to date which is certainly the spirit in which they are intended.If any of the points ive made are already noted and planned fixes then pls ignore those.

kind regards

Nick Caldwell

• Upvote 3

Could it be that different models or versions have differences in cockpit design?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

hi Paul

yes there are a few minor differences such as different side window sills/chart areas which can vary even within the -400 variants and -8 variants as both can have either styles,  however none of the areas mentioned above fit in those catagories other than perhaps the colour as suggested .

kind regards

Nick Caldwell

May I suggest that you provide PMDG support for your recommendations. Note this is simply to establish yourself as a reliable authority. However, pictures from online sources such as popular web sites do not constitute authority whereas being an aircrew or mechanic certainly does. Just a helpful suggestion, not a challange of your reliability.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Great....now it's going to be delayed another week to fix all this stuff B)  Just kidding!  We'll see what RSR says

Chris Sunseri

Hi Dan

i have a good eye for detail and a love of aviation particulally the 747 and have been around them for years but i think the support that i have provided are the photos ive provided which are able to speak for them selves in terms of authority. And anyone can research my points further themselves by looking up other photos to coroborate what ive pointed out and see if my findings are accurate. I accept that certain photos can be misleading due to various factors however i dont think any of those i have provided fall in to that catagory.

with kind regards

nick caldwell

Speaking of (and this is more a question to satisfy personal curiosity), How much of the nose can one see from the flight deck? I mean if one were to lean over the glareshield, it looks like the nose extends quite a bit further in front of the flight deck windscreen. Then again, it could be too steeply raked to see anything besides the nose-cone. Can't tell from this picture how much of that will be modeled. Any real world 747 mtc or pilots around? I'm just curious.PMDG_747-400_Top_Down_VC_View.jpg

Hi Darren

you can definately see the nose if you peer right over the glareshield (yes ive done it many times but i literally had to press my face up in to the top edge of the windshield to see it which is no doubt where the camera was placed in this utube clip)

have a look at this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4YoXyYBbYA

the reason you can see it is because the angle of the windscreen center pillar is actually steeper than the lower part of the nose which is a little more gentle.

kind regards

nick caldwell

Hey Nick,

Yeah from an external vantage there's a whole Lotta nose in front of the flight deck but it was cool to see just how much of it is visible in that video. I asked because my second default view in ezdok for every aircraft is kinda like a dash cam perspective much like in the clip. I love to just watch the scenery go by after the Autopilot's in and my flows are complete. It's crazy to think in the 74' there's passengers seated below you and a bit of cabin in front. When the T7 was in beta, I was sure I'd never be so anxious for another addon in flight Sim. I've flown that virtual aircraft all over the world now. Then they had to go and release screenshots of the 747V2. Now I'm refreshing the forums every day all over again...

Nick-

You have illustrated perfectly why we don't give you guys much of a view of in-development products...

:hi:

• Upvote 10

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com