Sign in to follow this  
Sambo71

GTX 980 Ti Three Monitors NVidia Surround Physx Help!

Hi Guys,

Ok so I got my new GTX 980 Ti card installed and working great with my 1080p 42" Sharp Aquos TV.

I then went out and purchased two BENQ 27" 1920x1080 monitors same resolution as my Sharp TV.

I hooked the Sharp TV to the DVI port in my GTX and the BENQ's into the two DVI ports.

Everything fired up great, I went into the NVidia Control panel and selected "configure surround PhysX" and setup the surround configuration to 1x3 at 5760x1080.

What scaling settings should I use? Aspect/Full screen/No scaling? Display or GPU? or not touch any of these settings?

So I got everything placed where I want it, I then went into FSX and opened two new windows, placed them on the two BENQ monitors on each side door and adjusted them for the side window views.

So I did a test and found with no weather I had a good solid 29-30 FPS, as soon as I turned on Active Sky Next with some overcast, the frame rates plunged! I didn't expect this with the new card.

So am I doing the right thing by opening windows on top of the original 5760x1080 view or should I be doing something different?

When I remove the two new windows the rates go back up to 30 FPS, is there a way to break up the original view 5670x1080 between the monitors to just use the one view?

This opening and docking new window views is a pretty new to me...

In NVidia inspector I'm following NickN's guide step by step

Should I set NVidia Inspector to Single Display Performance or Multi Display Performance?

I'm running a i7 4770, Z87 motherboard and 16Gb of RAM so I should have enough power should I not?

Sorry for all the questions guys!

Just looking for a little direction for a confused old guy!

Sam

"Speed is Life, Altitude is Insurance"

sigpic607877_4.gif

I have never used FSX across multi monitors but from my understanding what you are observing is quite normal if you try to run it with multi windows as opposed to a single display stretched across (in your case) three monitors.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hi Guys,

Ok so I got my new GTX 980 Ti card installed and working great with my 1080p 42" Sharp Aquos TV.

I then went out and purchased two BENQ 27" 1920x1080 monitors same resolution as my Sharp TV.

I hooked the Sharp TV to the DVI port in my GTX and the BENQ's into the two DVI ports.

Everything fired up great, I went into the NVidia Control panel and selected "configure surround PhysX" and setup the surround configuration to 1x3 at 5760x1080.

What scaling settings should I use? Aspect/Full screen/No scaling? Display or GPU? or not touch any of these settings?

So I got everything placed where I want it, I then went into FSX and opened two new windows, placed them on the two BENQ monitors on each side door and adjusted them for the side window views.

So I did a test and found with no weather I had a good solid 29-30 FPS, as soon as I turned on Active Sky Next with some overcast, the frame rates plunged! I didn't expect this with the new card.

So am I doing the right thing by opening windows on top of the original 5760x1080 view or should I be doing something different?

When I remove the two new windows the rates go back up to 30 FPS, is there a way to break up the original view 5670x1080 between the monitors to just use the one view?

This opening and docking new window views is a pretty new to me...

In NVidia inspector I'm following NickN's guide step by step

Should I set NVidia Inspector to Single Display Performance or Multi Display Performance?

I'm running a i7 4770, Z87 motherboard and 16Gb of RAM so I should have enough power should I not?

Sorry for all the questions guys!

Just looking for a little direction for a confused old guy!

Sam

If you are going to use the two 27s for separate window side views you definitely should not setup a Surround resolution.

Surround resolution is for spanning one view across two or more monitors.

What's the point of that if you are going to lay new views over the outer monitors anyway?

Just run all three at 1920x1080.

Also don't mess with Scaling, Aspect etc. Leave at default.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi GB,

Thanks, I've been trying all these different configurations and you are correct about laying the two new views over top of the full "Surround" view.

I did find one issue when I tried the 1920X1080 single monitor views, I found that the monitor for the right door window view seemed to not be the correct resolution once I was in the FSX program, I'm not sure why though? why would the first two monitors be tack sharp and not the other?

I'll do some more testing today to see if I can get this corrected.

Thanks,

Sam

sigpic607877_4.gif

Hi GB,

Thanks, I've been trying all these different configurations and you are correct about laying the two new views over top of the full "Surround" view.

I did find one issue when I tried the 1920X1080 single monitor views, I found that the monitor for the right door window view seemed to not be the correct resolution once I was in the FSX program, I'm not sure why though? why would the first two monitors be tack sharp and not the other?

I'll do some more testing today to see if I can get this corrected.

Thanks,

Sam

Make sure each screen is set to 1920x1080 in Windows and that you have selected 1920x1080 for each screen in the FSX resolution settings drop down box.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi GB,

I got it sorted out, a guy from another forum advised me as you just did, to go into the FSX graphics options and go to the "Device Pull Down Menu" all three of my screens where listed there and sure enough, monitor #3 was set to 1024X768X16!

I changed it and made sure all the filter settings were the same...

Went back in fired FSX up and loaded the flight and "A la peanut butter sandwiches!" as the Amazing Mumford would say....it viewed perfectly!

So now way less load on the system without over laying the two views on top of the 5760X1080! I'm getting a solid 30 fps now and with Active Sky Next running in light overcast conditions!.

Thanks for all your help!

Sam

sigpic607877_4.gif

Turn your Activesky weather layers down to 3, 5 really hits you hard on 3x screens.

Single Display/Multi Display performance setting is only for OpenGL applications , setting has no effect on DirectX games,

Awesome, thanks Slayer!

If it wasn't for this forum and a few others, I'd be getting 2-3 fps and watching a jerky slide show as I fly around...

:smile:

sigpic607877_4.gif

So if I have read it correct :

- you have a 42" tv for the front view and 2x 27" for each side view.

- no NV surround

- 1 default view on the 42" monitor and 2 undocked views on the side monitors

How did you put the side monitors compared to the front monitor ?

Are they alligned at the top or in the middle ? ( the 42" is larger )

What about zoom settings and view up/down ?

I am asking this because I have a 2/3 737 cockpit with 3x 32" in NVSurround ( spread from left front to front ) and was thinking about replacing the left TV with a 47" tv, as in a real 737 the left front window is bigger than the front windows.

To get the right view and zoom on that one so the horizon stays aligned and all objects have the same size on every distance might be a real challenge.

There are 2 options : NVsurround for the 2 32" front monitors + 1 left side view or

no NVsurround at all and use 3 seperare views.

I think that the first option will give the best fps but the the horizon angle between front and left would be larger than with 3 seperate views.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

So if I have read it correct :

- you have a 42" tv for the front view and 2x 27" for each side view.

- no NV surround

- 1 default view on the 42" monitor and 2 undocked views on the side monitors

How did you put the side monitors compared to the front monitor ?

Are they alligned at the top or in the middle ? ( the 42" is larger )

What about zoom settings and view up/down ?

I am asking this because I have a 2/3 737 cockpit with 3x 32" in NVSurround ( spread from left front to front ) and was thinking about replacing the left TV with a 47" tv, as in a real 737 the left front window is bigger than the front windows.

To get the right view and zoom on that one so the horizon stays aligned and all objects have the same size on every distance might be a real challenge.

There are 2 options : NVsurround for the 2 32" front monitors + 1 left side view or

no NVsurround at all and use 3 seperare views.

I think that the first option will give the best fps but the the horizon angle between front and left would be larger than with 3 seperate views.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Gerard

Gerard I don't quite see the logic of the 47" TV.

Your current 3x32 Surround setup should certainly be showing the left window larger than the front

just because the VC eyepoint is closer to it.

With typical Surround stretching it's surely bigger than it should be anyway.

gb.

A 42-47" monitor as front left view and the 2 32" moniotors as front view.

All alligned at the top.

In a real 737 the left front windows is larger as the bottom.

Cockpit_of_Boeing_737_700_Flight_Simulat

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

A 42-47" monitor as front left view and the 2 32" moniotors as front view.

All alligned at the top.

In a real 737 the left front windows is larger as the bottom.Cockpit_of_Boeing_737_700_Flight_Simulat

Ok but it does sound like a lot of effort for not much gain.

It can be hard to color match a TV to a monitor.

Also AA can look a lot worse on a TV especially side by side with a monitor.

gb.

All 3 already are HD tv's ....

So color differences will be minimal.

AA now looks good .

Hi GSalden,

Sorry, just woke up and missed your post last night....

Ok so this is what I have, I've got the 42" Sharp TV for my front view, I've mounted two 27" BENQ monitors in the tops of my doors (This is a Cessna Simulator Setup) left and right sides, the monitors don't need to line up frame wise, for me it was important to position the monitor inside the cockpit as if it were a left or right cockpit window. 

what is important is that you set the zoom correctly (enable red text to see zoom settings or eyeball it to your front view using objects at the airport, signs other planes etc.) to the front monitor and move the view up or down to line up the outside views, I use the edge of a runway to get it as close as possible.

All the above was the easy part, what I had problems with that I have now solved was maintaining my 30 FPS!

Running three monitors and three separate views is a huge load on the system, throw Active Sky Next in there and it becomes even more of a challenge!

So to get this all working after many hours of testing, this is what I did:

I did not use NVidia Surround, because I didn't want a surround view or new window views on top of the spanning surround (This is a major frame hit if undocked windows touch or are on top of each other), I wanted three separate views, front/left/right, so making sure I disabled NVidia Surround, I went back to my desktop and set my resolution to 1920X1080 (Native resolution for all three views).

Went into FSX and in the graphics options pull down menu, made sure all three devices were at the same resolution and filtering settings were set the same.

I then went into free flight, which when loaded gave me my front view in 1920X1080, I then opened a new undocked view and dragged it over to my left monitor and made sure it was spanned correctly (full screen) in that monitor and did the same for the right monitor/view.

Now that I had my three views, it was time to check on performance, at first it was struggling and dropping below 30 and sometimes into the teens... 

I did a bunch of testing to get my frame rates to maintain as close to 30FPS as possible by following Nickn's guide, this was very important when using multiple monitors and views as I have found out during this project.

Adding the following info to my FSX.cfg was very important for my system with this setup to get good frame rates with the two new undocked views ...

[GRAPHICS]
ForceFullScreenVSync=1
ForceWindowedVSync=1

I don't want to get into too much detail of my settings, everyone's system is different, you need to get everything setup position wise, lower your settings and textures and then slowly bring them up until you find a balance.

I can go into detail at a later time if you need help...

Sam

sigpic607877_4.gif

Hi Sam,

Yesterday I did some tests and it was the same as you did.

No NVSurround and 3 seperate views.

Regarding a good framerate : I have photoscenery only and that is very taxing on the system.

Photoscenery is placed on top of the default ground like a 3d object and therefore is costing performance.

I even have OpenVFR custom ag on top of the photoscenery....

With one stretched NVSurround view I had my fps locked to 26 and the HD tv's frequency set to 25,

No Vsync as at a detailed airport like Schiphol I was getting 18-25 fps, so to low to have it enabled.

Without custom ag I was able to use Vsync.

Now with 3 seperate views I do have a fps issue.

First I turned off the custom ag . No problem as with v2.5 I got OOMs using it.

Then set the fps to 23 as also the frequency of the HD tv's.

When flying , even with 4 cloud layers I can maintain those 23 fps.

The side views are very sharp , which is very differently from the stretchef views with NVSurround.

Only at Schiphol the fps drops to 11-16 which is not good enough.

Even 15 fps , without jitters would be good enough, but the fps jump up/down and are causing small stutters.

Westman wrote about a 4th hidden view to obtain 10 fps extra to your max fps.

Of coarse your lowest fps would go up several fps too.

As I want more information on that I made a new Topic at the Prodim site about it :

http://prosim-ar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=9100

You may want to try this to gain fps.

Let us know your findingd.

Regards,

Gerard