Sign in to follow this  
Maxthrust

Budget FSX-SE pc components recommendation

Hello fellow simmers,

I'm looking to get back to simming after a 10 year break. I've always followed up with the current flighsim news so I kinda know what I'll be running on my new rig.

I've used to be able to find my way around the hardware that's right for my needs and within my budget, however, I think the market is flooded with overpriced and low quality products, therefore I need a bit help.

I'm kinda old school, I value a fluid smooth flight experience than looking at the latest high res runway or tree textures. I don't use radar contact etc but I do fly online. I usually keep the mesh and cloud resolution at medium, but I'll be using active sky. I'll fly the pmdg and majestic planes, actually if I knew they wouldn't move my post to here I would have posted this to the pmdg forum..

I usually don't upgrade, but this will be a staged build; I'll use the stock cpu cooler and my existing hdd at this point. A better cooler for slight over cllocking and an ssd will be added later on. I'm leaning to stay with win7-64.

Now my intent is clear, here's what I'm thinking to build:

CPU

I5-6600K

I understand i5 is the best price/performance cpu for fsx. I'm not sure if I need this cpu though, it's still quite a bit $$, do I really need this? Or can I get away with an older haswell non K cpu?

Mobo

GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3 (rev. 1.0)

No frills, overclocks well, latest chipset.

GPU

Gf gtx-750ti, 2gb. PCI 3, 16x

Best $/performance card imo, I wish they had a 4gb version.. Or am I completely wrong with GF7 series? I've never been a GPU Expert. Which brand? Must be reliable and reasonably quiet.

RAM:

16 or 8 is enough?

I know I need ddr4 if I'm going with skylake, but I have no idea about what to look for. I don't care about its looks or color, however, reliability and overclock stability is important to me. Which brand is again an other question..

I think a 500w psu would be enough for this config

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derin

For FSX only budget build you could get away with a Pentium G3258 CPU , over clock it (need a cooler though - 20-50bucks)

8gb ram

750 is ok but a 760 is the lowest id go

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Haswell K-series is a better bet than non-K..

If your budget allows it,  a 4790K + GTX970 is the way to go for FSX,  IMHO..

Bert

I'd be wanting a GTX960 at the least to go with that CPU, or as Bert says, a 970 is preferable.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I'd be wanting a GTX960 at the least to go with that CPU, or as Bert says, a 970 is preferable.

Then a 960... If this truly is a budget build

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well, after doing a bit research I decided to give G3258 a shot:

People seem to be able to overclock G3258 @ 4.2ghz on stock cooler. 1.2v, 70 C max temp on stress tests, seems a little too good to be true but I'll give it a shot before buying a better cooler. 89 CAD

Asrock Z97 anniversary edition board, built for, or marketed for g3258 :) 89 CAD

G.SKILL DDR3 2400 memory, 2x4gig sticks 59 CAD

I went with the el cheapo 148 CAD Asus GT750TI. 2gb, not 16X. Spending 350$+ to a nice a card is against the purpose of this built.

I also bought an 250gb ssd to save some head ache later on, 250gb should be sufficient for the o/s and fsx

I've spent a bit more on the PSU and the case as the quality of these items are important for a stable overclock.

I'm hoping to get nice and fluid fps with medium/low settings.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic, I'll report my findings later on..

That system will be just fine. Enjoy!

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+