Sign in to follow this  
nidaren

Moving to X-Plane 10

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking about moving to X-Plane. Have been flying with P3D for quite some time now, nowadays I also almost always fly on VATSIM. 

I have a few questions that I would love to get your view on:

1. What are the payware add-ons you would recommend getting (graphic's and quality of life etc) ?

2. Are there any nice payware Boeing planes available in comparable quality to the PMDG's products ?

3. Is there any ORBX equivalent one can get ?

4. Is there a nice weather engine that you would recommend getting ?

5. For people who tried both XP and P3D what made you stick with X-Plane in the end ?

6. As for VATSIM are the client applications for X-Plane stable and reliable to fly with ?

I would also be grateful if you could recommend me any webpage or source that maybe already lists the information for X-Plane starters.

Thanks again for your time and all the tips.

No need to "move" to X-Plane, I have all three sims FSX-SE ,P3D and X-Plane 10 installed on my machine. Enjoy the best of all. 

Some new recent payware to take note of 

Flightfactor 767 

Rotate MD80

Flightfactor 757 

Flyjsim 727 and 737-200

JarDesign A330 and A320 (A320 not as visually good as the Aerosoft one,but improvements are in the pipline. 

Plenty of free scenery out there (you just need the hard-disk space :) 

• Upvote 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

There were couple of similar topics recently:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/474526-deciding-to-move-from-fsx/

This one might help you. 

2. Are there any nice payware Boeing planes available in comparable quality to the PMDG's products ?

Well, this is hard - IXEG will release their 737 soon which is expected to be really complex. FlightFactor 767 released few days ago is generally praised as well. PMDG is working on their first X-Plane release, but it will be DC-6, probably not too Boeing-like.

3. Is there any ORBX equivalent one can get ?

Combine HD meshes from alpilotx + World2XP and you will, most of the time, exceed ORBX quality, and both of those things are available for free. Obviously, donations are welcome as far as I know. 

5. I only tried FSX for some time, but I assume for many it's the ability to run sim that looks like on those screenshots and having more than 20 fps. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/479599-the-reality-expansion-pack-for-carenados-bonanza-f33a-is-now-out/?p=3338921

6. As for VATSIM are the client applications for X-Plane stable and reliable to fly with ?

I never had any issues with the XSquawkBox software I got from Vatsim page, though I don't fly on Vatsim that often. 

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the X-Plane forums and Avsim.

There are a couple of similar threads throughout this topic which may help you out, but I'll add my 2 cents to some of them.

1. There is a lot of good freeware (scenery, plugins, etc). My favourite payware is Skymaxx Pro which greatly enhances the clouds and improves performance for me. It depends on what you're looking for, but there is a lot of stuff available for XP which is free

2. For me, there is nothing really comparable to PMDG's NGX yet, but there are some products due out very soon IXEG 737 which should come very close or even surpass it. There are numerous Boeing/Airbus products available for XP, but I've not had much experience with them. I'm sure others here can comment futher. Also PMDG will have their first product out for XP soon.

3. If you're talking about texture replacements, no there unfortunately isn't. If you're after detailed mesh, photoscenery, roads, buildings etc there are numerous options available (all of them free/donationware), e.g. HD Mesh v3, World2XPlane, G2XPL/Ortho4XP photoscenery.

4. Pass, there is nothing decent available for Mac OS X which I use, but I know there are options for Windows now. 

5. I'm actually enjoying both sims at the moment. The only thing that keeps me having P3D installed is ORBX. 90% of the time I used XP, and this is because of the high quality scenery (and as a developer, the ability to modify that scenery easily), and also the visuals and performance are much better for me.

6. Yes, there is xsquawkbox I believe. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you very much for your replies and informative answers, I shall explore all the links.

I must say I did not expect so much content available for free or via the donation. Especially given how expensive single addons can be.

If it is not asking too much, which of the ones you use yourselves would you recommend getting as must have?

Thanks very much for posting these links Elaine and Lena :-). This is a very common topic here, and it might be worth pinning one of these threads.

If it is not asking too much, which of the ones you use yourselves would you recommend getting as must have?

The main ones I use are Ortho4XP (Which can be a little tricky to get installed, but absolutely worth the time to read the excellent manual/tutorials), this can produce photoscenery and a mesh which far beats even the most expensive commercial offerings for other sims (with water masking, etc..). 

If photoscenery is not your thing, I'd highly recommend alpilotx's HD Mesh v3. It produces accurate coastlines, mountains etc for a large part of the planet and is an absolute must have. I have this installed for most of the US and Alaska and is fantastic.

I also use World2XPlane scenery (Which are regional buildings, roadings, forests, etc), but since I'm the author of that software I'll let others comment on it. Depending on where you fly, I've also done some detailed regions which don't require you to generate your own scenery, and there are also ready-made regions on simheaven.com using an older version of W2XP.

• Upvote 3

I also use World2XPlane scenery (Which are regional buildings, roadings, forests, etc), but since I'm the author of that software I'll let others comment on it. 

Since I'm an user - Well, it might be the single, greatest thing I have ever installed for X-Plane. 

If you want to fly in the UK - GB Pro is just amazing. So is Denmark.

Now, I am (impatiently) waiting for Norway Pro as it's my favourite region to fly. (hint, hint Tony!)

I must say I did not expect so much content available for free or via the donation. Especially given how expensive single addons can be.

let's just phrase it a bit differently. The FSX/P3D or flightsim in general consists of usually men in their 30-60 with disposable income, so the money is usually more readily available. Combine this with a pretty much monopoly for some products you can get away with any price you like.

Considering people like Tonywob, AllpilotX, MisterX (and numerous others) create all this donationware (refusing to call it freeware) in their spare time on the side, gives you an idea what some scenery should have been charged on FSX/P3D.

Freeware x-plane KSFO  vs. Payware FSX/P3D KSFO  which is which

MisterX-KSFO-Airport-City-V2-X-Plane.jpg

sfo_las_1.jpg

• Upvote 5

The first pic is x plane he he, I know this cause I can see Real terra haze in the back. I'm so smart :)

The first pic is x plane he he, I know this cause I can see Real terra haze in the back. I'm so smart :)

Let me get the cookie ;) Choclate chip or strawberry cheesecake ? ;)

another giveaway would have been the parking brake at the bottom pic ^^

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much for posting these links Elaine and Lena :-). This is a very common topic here, and it might be worth pinning one of these threads.

The main ones I use are Ortho4XP (Which can be a little tricky to get installed, but absolutely worth the time to read the excellent manual/tutorials), this can produce photoscenery and a mesh which far beats even the most expensive commercial offerings for other sims (with water masking, etc..). 

If photoscenery is not your thing, I'd highly recommend alpilotx's HD Mesh v3. It produces accurate coastlines, mountains etc for a large part of the planet and is an absolute must have. I have this installed for most of the US and Alaska and is fantastic.

I also use World2XPlane scenery (Which are regional buildings, roadings, forests, etc), but since I'm the author of that software I'll let others comment on it. Depending on where you fly, I've also done some detailed regions which don't require you to generate your own scenery, and there are also ready-made regions on simheaven.com using an older version of W2XP.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, these get me very excited and I might pick up X-Plane as my early Xmas gift to myself ;)

I fly a lot at night and my main problem with P3D was that it looked horrid on night flights. There are some pack for night lighting available like Taburet and ones from Aerosoft but they still cover small area around the plane.

There is also something weird about P3D's LOD radius. There are some blurries that can happen randomly and very annoying to look  at. I watched some videos on YT and in X-Plane it does not seem to be the case. 

let's just phrase it a bit differently. The FSX/P3D or flightsim in general consists of usually men in their 30-60 with disposable income, so the money is usually more readily available. Combine this with a pretty much monopoly for some products you can get away with any price you like.

Considering people like Tonywob, AllpilotX, MisterX (and numerous others) create all this donationware (refusing to call it freeware) in their spare time on the side, gives you an idea what some scenery should have been charged on FSX/P3D.

Freeware x-plane KSFO  vs. Payware FSX/P3D KSFO  which is which [...]

Looks fantastic.

Thanks again for all the advice, I do enjoy the "community feel" on these forums a lot.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, these get me very excited and I might pick up X-Plane as my early Xmas gift to myself ;)

Small tip, if you can live without beta access, wait a few days maybe 1-2 weeks the most and watch steam sales.  It will most probably come onto the steam christmas sales for 33% or 50% off and by far the cheapest way to get it ;)

I fly a lot at night and my main problem with P3D was that it looked horrid on night flights. There are some pack for night lighting available like Taburet and ones from Aerosoft but they still cover small area around the plane.

You are in for an absolute treat with X-Plane then, it's night lighting is incredible :-)

• Upvote 3