Sign in to follow this  
nidaren

Moving to X-Plane 10

Im considering XPX just for the fact it has a decent 757/767 now where P3D is lacking.  I tried XPX in the past and while some features like night lighting are sweet, just coudnt get used to the way the mouse works in the cockpit. Guess im too hardwired for the old fsx ways. Has it improved? 

Also wondering about scenery. There lots of scenery injection that is generated. Is it still not specific to the areas? As in clearly distinguishable landmarks to the region in proper placement?

Also see a new camera system similar to ezdok working with TrackIR. Some nice stuff coming out. Nice to see AI traffic improvement as well

Wont replace P3D but maybe a nice compliment where p3d lacks.

The mouse is very intuitive ! Right click and hold, and then move the mouse for your view point. Use the wheel to zoom in and out. It's so simple my 5 year old can do it :) If you are using the demo its kind of hard to get past the learning curve in 10-15 minutes. Quit procrastinating and pull out your credit card and purchase it ! You will be wondering why you have been spending thousands of dollars on PD3 add-ons.

There is no region specific landmarks out of the box. There is a lot of payware quality ADD-ONS that are free at the org and other websites.  

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Im considering XPX just for the fact it has a decent 757/767 now where P3D is lacking.  I tried XPX in the past and while some features like night lighting are sweet, just coudnt get used to the way the mouse works in the cockpit. Guess im too hardwired for the old fsx ways. Has it improved? 

Also wondering about scenery. There lots of scenery injection that is generated. Is it still not specific to the areas? As in clearly distinguishable landmarks to the region in proper placement?

Also see a new camera system similar to ezdok working with TrackIR. Some nice stuff coming out. Nice to see AI traffic improvement as well

Wont replace P3D but maybe a nice compliment where p3d lacks.

I tried XPX in the past and while some features like night lighting are sweet, just coudnt get used to the way the mouse works in the cockpit. Guess im too hardwired for the old fsx ways. Has it improved? 

In FSX really could not get used to having to press the space bar and move the mouse, it does not seem intuitive to me, has it improved? :)

There are not really cities and towns as such and to be honest the default shoe box and match box buildings in FSX don't cut it for me either. What you can do in XP is be able to follow rivers and valleys that actually exists in real life etc which I can't remember being possible in FSX. If I have a google moving map running next to X-Plane and look out the window I can see in X-Plane exactly what I see on google maps....As Real As It Gets ;-)

X-Camera is great but I don't use it yet. The inbuilt camera system of setting camera positions works essentially like EZDok and is free ;-)

By the way, used FSX and later P3D for about 9 years so I know how they work and what it costs to having them looking good. I have deleted them now and only use X-Plane.

X-Camera does much more than defualt views. Chase views, target views, internal /external cameras transiction, implementation with TrackIR and shakeview plugin. No doubt the best addon, and unlike you wrote it's free.

Thanks, I do agree that X Plane needs some real AI traffic. 

A bit late to the party here but - I emailed Laminar Research about the matter of AI planes and whether they plan on developing anything in the future, they came back with that they plan on doing something in the future better than what the default AI system currently is. 

W2XP looks to be a good piece of software, but it doesn't appear to be the best way possible of adding AI traffic into X-Plane. 

I really hope LR does not spend precious time improving AI traffic because they cannot do much better than World Traffic which uses dedicated models for AI aircarfts. They should develope a better seasonal environment and weather. This is much more needed than AI, at least for me World Traffic is already doing a great job and if someone could add voice and AI interaction with voice that would be perfect.

Of course it lacks ground routes for most airports but the gap is slowly filled in, let's face that Afcad system for FSX took many years to have it done extensively.

W2XP is a scenery, not AI traffic addon (?)

Well, world2xplane aka. W2XP ( http://world2xplane.com/ ) is first of all a software which generates scenery out of OSM (and in the mean time other) data. But of course, to most users its the scenery (the result of this software) which is known as w2xp.

But for sure, its NOT about AI traffic :smile:

They should develope a better seasonal environment and weather. 

I would ditto that, I would really, really love to finally be able to fly in a snowy weather. My norwegian trips would be so much more enjoyable. 

Well, world2xplane aka. W2XP ( http://world2xplane.com/ ) is first of all a software which generates scenery out of OSM (and in the mean time other) data. But of course, to most users its the scenery (the result of this software) which is known as w2xp.

I am not very smart when it comes to those things, sorry for not being precise!  :sad:

I am not very smart when it comes to those things, sorry for not being precise!  :sad:

I actually refer to all the sceneries I've done and the application as World2XPlane or (W2XP). So I'm probably not helping here by confusing users ;-). Generally it's stuck, and people just refer to the app, the generated scenery and even Simheaven's generated scenery as W2XP.

How big is your x-plane installation?  Just looking thru just the HD mesh files for NA alone looks to be about 50GB.  Thats just mesh.

May look at a bigger HD if im going to give XP a try. Hopefully steam will have some 50% off specials for XPX during the holidays.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I have all alpilotx's HD meshes, except South Africa. + GB Pro from Tonywob and quite a few aircraft addons - my X-Plane folder is 132Gb. 

My XP folder is 207 GB. And I still don`t have all of alpilotx's HD, UHD, ... meshes (but Germany and some othe European regions with orthophotos). If you like to fly e.g. in Spain in Ultra High Defintion, you will need 330 GB.

By the way: alpilotx's "meshes" aren't only meshes, but all of the basic scenery is in it - like roads, railroads, forests, buildings, ... but with a much higher resolution and accuracy than the in default XP mesh. The reason for that is that the data is much newer, since it was pulled from OSM (and other sources) later that the stock XP scenery which was generated around mid of 2011.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

UHD mesh will need one hell of a system to run, not to mention more ram. Looks like I may have to look for 16gb ram upgrade too if I decide to do this.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

By the way: alpilotx's "meshes" aren't only meshes, but all of the basic scenery is in it - like roads, railroads, forests, buildings, ... but with a much higher resolution and accuracy than the in default XP mesh. The reason for that is that the data is much newer, since it was pulled from OSM (and other sources) later that the stock XP scenery which was generated around mid of 2011.

Yep, I'm still exploring Alaska using this :-), next up is South America

The mouse is very intuitive ! Right click and hold, and then move the mouse for your view point. Use the wheel to zoom in and out. It's so simple my 5 year old can do it :) If you are using the demo its kind of hard to get past the learning curve in 10-15 minutes. Quit procrastinating and pull out your credit card and purchase it ! You will be wondering why you have been spending thousands of dollars on PD3 add-ons.

There is no region specific landmarks out of the box. There is a lot of payware quality ADD-ONS that are free at the org and other websites.  

Do you happen to know why the mouse view won't work if I enable Track IR?  I've always wondered that.  In FSX/P3D I can simply pause TIR and the normal view commands work.  In XP10 it won't let me mouse around the cockpit unless I restart XP10 and don't run TIR.

I would ditto that, I would really, really love to finally be able to fly in a snowy weather. My norwegian trips would be so much more enjoyable. 

Me too!  Well, I don't fly in Norway, but over here in Duluth, MN - it's always winter here lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |