Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

FSX Steam. Rex Texture Direct. Active Sky Next

Just wondering really, has anyone purchased the Steam ASN or Rex Direct.   If so what do you think,  loads of Ad On's now coming on Steam.  Would be interesting to know how they work in terms of performance, smoothness and any problems that folks are having.     

Also on FSX Steam does big Ad On's like ASN or Rex automatically update or do you have to do it manually.    I like the idea of simplicity that Steam offers regarding updates 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/364340/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379542

I have Rex Texture Direct and ASN both purchased seperately out of steam store ....All updated for FSX Steam and they work just fine for me.

Just make sure you read their instructions carefully. As long you are following them, you should be fine.

• Upvote 1

Bilal Asif Khan

Not many add-ons are easy within FSX. Very few plug and play. Overall though, ASN and REX are set it and forget it.

Basically once you set up ASN the way you like it then that's it. Install it, let it run and add the affinity mask to your CFG. Then go to settings and change whatever you want. Wind controls et cetera. Certain settings can throw off 3rd party planes.

REX direct are textures. You go through and pick any sky colors, clouds, runway marks, lights and so forth and apply them to the sim. You can change them anytime for variety. They won't generally hurt anything. You might dislike the color or something but overall they're great. I don't use the sounds or certain textures though. I haven't touched REX since I made my initial selection. Maybe in a few days I'll play around more with some other selections. You can add old wear marks to runways and everything. The sky colors are hit or miss, especially with dawn and dusk. It's well worth it and the soft clouds are excellent.

You won't be disappointed with either. I can't speak to the performance. My machine is about 6 months old and it runs fine. If there's a performance hit, I don't see it. No stutters or anything. That's with pay ware planes (RealAir Duke/GTN750 and PMDG offerings).

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi Elaine,

Like the other I use ASN and REX soft Clouds not the full REX package. But as the other guys have alluded to it is set and forget, Plus both REX and ASN update well and for free. IMHO you cannot beat ASN for the weather it is the closes to real life within the limitation of the sim.

Been using FSX SE with DX 10 for a while now and will stick with it until something new comes on the horizon.

Enjoy what evet you fly!!

All the best

Mark

• Upvote 1

ASN is basically set and forget, except for the occasional historical weather flight, which is pretty useful - Winter weather aren't usually all that good for GA flights and all the snow gets bland after a while. Weather radar's also neat if you set up Roland's gauge or had addons like PMDG NGX/737 or Majestic Q400 Pro.

REX also had nice clouds, but do not raise cloud texture resolution beyond 512 unless you had a really powerful computer. Things add up fast, especially with ASN weather.

Also Steam's supposed to handle all updates for things purchased through them. Got A2A Cub and Marcel Felde Katana 4X from that and no problem so far.

• Upvote 1

I too like how Steam manages easy installation and updates of addons when bought from Steam. On my old P3d v1.4 build I had Rex and it caused some CTD. I like the idea of this REX Texture Direct 4, for it's textures of Rex without it's weather engine and using ASN for it's weather engine. With both available now through Steam it's a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

I am using REX Direct and like it, but sadly not ASN.  I am using REX Essential for weather.  Go figure, it doesn't play well with Rex direct. 

• Upvote 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Thank you for all the responses.  I do fly P3D mostly but was interested in the in's and out's of the new Ad On's into Steam and how they work together.    

I am using REX Direct and like it, but sadly not ASN.  I am using REX Essential for weather.  Go figure, it doesn't play well with Rex direct. 

I have both REX4 TD and REX Essentials installed in my FSX-SE. I haven't noticed them not "playing well" together. All functions of both programs seem to be working fine for me. What is the issue you are having?  

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Ok, I will explain.

Rex Direct (rd) is programmed to call Rex Essentials. (re)

I go into rd and select weather, select the airport I will start, and generate/submit.

rd calls both re and opens FSX.

I begin my desired free flight from the airport I chose in rd and wait for weather to be injected but it never happens.

Only if you perform the same selection of airport while in re does any weather injection occur in FSX.

I opened a ticket at REX and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem I described.

So how is it supposed to work? I don't see any point in calling the weather engine from rd if it isn't one seamless pass through, and the comments from REX do not make me think otherwise.

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K