Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

When will PMDG bless Win 10?

Microsoft is aggressively pushing Windows 10. However, I have been reluctant to update from Windows 7 because I fly PMDG a great deal, and as I understand it, they currently only support Win 7.

I usually do a clean install, which entails a lot of work given all the add-ons I have, and as I read AVSIM forums, many have been running Win 10 and PMDG for some time

When will PMDG make an official pronouncement as to supporting Win 10?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

When will PMDG make an official pronouncement as to supporting Win 10?

Bill Clark

Already have, for the products mentioned in our article that Bruce linked to.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks,

I must have missed that announcement.

This is good news.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

All my PMDG products work fine on my Windows 10 system running FSX and P3D. I currently have the MD-11 (FSX) and NGX (P3D & FSX) installed. 

I never saw that either.  Still not fully convinced that it is worth the effort to do it, since I am not having any real problems with my Win 7 setup.  Use FSX-SE with ASN, REX Soft Clouds, Pro-ATC X,  GSX, GEX, FS2Crew, a number of add-on airports, and of course PMDG NGX and 777.  Have heard some reports that Steam users experienced a performance boost, but others who did not or who experienced the opposite.  Like Bill, I am not wild about reinstalling everything from scratch.   I assume not doing a clean install would be a bad idea?

Core i5 2500k @3.3 Ghz, 16GB if RAM, GeForce GTX 760

Andrew Jones                                                   

Andrew Jones

I assume not doing a clean install would be a bad idea?

I'm betting you'd have a better chance of having everything work that way.

Kyle Rodgers

I did the update over my win 8 install just to see if I liked it. I ran everything I had on it for weeks and no problems so then I did a clean install and all still works fine. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I did the update over my win 8 install just to see if I liked it. I ran everything I had on it for weeks and no problems so then I did a clean install and all still works fine. 

Any improvements with your sim, either from the clean install, or just from switching to Win 10 in general?  Do you feel it was worth the trouble to upgrade? 

Andrew

Andrew Jones

Not to venture too far off topic but if there's anyone here on AVSIM that feels like they need to updgrade to W10 just so that they can get rid of the nags (as the OP sort of alluded to), search for a program called GWX Control Panel. Problem solved.

Garrett, thanks a lot! I will look into it when I get home this weekend. I upgraded to W10 but after a month or two went back to W7, and the upgrade ad is starting to drive me crazy

sig1.png
sig2.png

After installing Win 10 on my new computer, I'm really not seeing what the issue is...

It's a new OS. Anyone who thinks there won't be some initial troubles is kidding themselves. Update your drivers, adjust to a new interface, carry on.

• Upvote 4

Kyle Rodgers

I personally installed Win 10 the day it was available as Beta and never had a single issue with it.

I'm still having a hard time understanding why people think that upgrading an OS will break a flight simulator add-on.  Win10 isn't anything revolutionary or that different to cause programs, add-ons and the like to just fail.  I dove in and upgraded, against my initial judgement, but I have no regrets whatsoever.  All of my CADD software works just fine, Office works (of course, it's Microsoft, right?), Adobe products work, everything just works and as it should.  I run P3D v3 with a host of add-ons with not a single things breaking.  As Kyle pointed out, as long as all of your drivers are up to date, you shouldn't have any problems.  As for those who are reluctant to upgrade (which I don't blame you for being skeptical), Microsoft is going to aggressively seek out each and every machine still running old OS's and hound the heck outta ya to upgrade.  If you read the tech trades, articles have been published that state that Microsoft has already been sneaky in sending preinstalls to users machines that have Win7, 8, 8.1 to be at the ready for when they relent and decide to upgrade.

I tested the waters, they're fine. <-- if anyone actually puts stock in my opinion. :|

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It works like a charm, haven´t had any problems, it even looks like windows 10 gives games (in general) better/more FPS.(747-8)

Niels Dudink.

PS: Can't change anything on my profile till december 20.