Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

When will PMDG bless Win 10?

You have that backwards. The box version of FS9 no longer installs in Win 10 because of the change they made to CD validation services. It was perfectly usable in Win 7. In effect Microsoft made their software unusable by the way they changed Win 10 (it was already not supported).

Is there a ten year rule for OS support? Us FSX users will have to watch out next year then. Previously Microsoft attempted to maintain backwards compatibility if they could. Now the emphasis is the opposite. They are actively removing backwards compatibility. Clearly this gives them more freedom to develop Windows, but it will make people increasingly unhappy. We don't all ditch old stuff to move onto the latest shiny thing.

Then there's the user data collection and the targetted adverts that come with Win 10. You can no longer opt to decline certain updates either. You can't go back to Win 7 after 30 days. These things taken together are why I am uncomfortable with the new direction Win 10 is taking. It may turn out to be fine, but then again it might be like the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building saying "it's all going well so far" as he passes the third floor.

Myths aside, my experience with Windows10 has been approached with caution.  I read all of those conspiracy theorists articles about data collection and how to set up Windows10 to be less annoying and less intrusive.  A few clicks through the dialogs and I have yet to see any ads or anything about collecting data.  then again, i don't buy from the Windows store, for one thing, I don't use Microsoft Edge for a browser, I use third party antivirus and finally, I own Windows 10 Pro instead of home.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

You have that backwards. The box version of FS9 no longer installs in Win 10 because of the change they made to CD validation services. It was perfectly usable in Win 7. In effect Microsoft made their software obsolete by the way they changed Win 10.

The default boxed version of FS9 doesn't instal on a recent security update on  Wn 7- I know because I had to reinstall it!

Microsoft already regards it as obsolesent

The default boxed version of FS9 doesn't instal on a recent security update on  Wn 7- I know because I had to reinstall it!

Microsoft already regards it as obsolesent

As I've already said several times, it's not just FS9 this affects. It's any application which used that CD verification service. Microsoft has not decided "FS9 is obsolete, so let's disable it". It may be obsolete, but does it deserve to be disabled, even by accident?

Was this recent Win 7 update before or after Win 10 release? The first I heard of FS9 not functioning (and of course not installing) from the CD was when Win 10 was released. It's quite possible that Microsoft has made the same security update to Win 7 since then. Regardless of the timeline, the point remains that an OS change can break a game or addon, which was the point I originally made.

ki9cAAb.jpg

My point  is that operating systems can, and do, cause unwanted effects - what 's yours?

Okay guys, knock it off. Not everything is compatible with everything. Point proven and understood. Move on.

Kyle Rodgers

Then there's the user data collection and the targetted adverts that come with Win 10. 

I have not seen a single add since installing Win 10 and I don't really care if MS collects userdata. What should they do with it?

See that I'm an idiot spending hundreds of Euros on a silly flight sim? Well, I don't care.  :wink: