Sign in to follow this  
robb13

Where did the co-pilot go?

Yes virtual aircraft are much more complex now then they were in the Golden days of FX. I work for two FSX developers but I cannot talk either one into modeling a copilot for the virtual  cockpit.

I can still load Bill's Goose and have Corky scold me for flying too low and catch the dog with his paws on his eyes when I land a bit too hard. All there is glorious FS9 and if fact the only reason I keep 9 around these days. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

So I guess it looks like fps wins especially for the DIYs... but I hope  the commercial ones are reading this as I reckon once you have done it once then you have the template for all the others. My main point is if there is a way of making it an optional start-up feature, then  it would be good to have. Not being a developer with no idea of the complexities that may just be wishful thinking.

I can still load Bill's Goose and have Corky scold me for flying too low and catch the dog with his paws on his eyes when I land a bit too hard. All there is glorious FS9 and if fact the only reason I keep 9 around these days. 

If you like to be scolded by virtual crewmembers, I could write a gauge that just does that in certain situations.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Scolden no, but can you write a simple gauge that calls:

- glideslope alive

- glideslope captured

- localizer alive

- localizer captured

- glideslope 100 above

- glideslope 100 below

- if more then 100 above or below a cal glideslope deviation

- 80 knots

- positive climb

- passing 10000 feet

You may use placeholders, I make my own wav files.

:-)

Scolden no, but can you write a simple gauge that calls:

- glideslope alive

- glideslope captured

- localizer alive

- localizer captured

- glideslope 100 above

- glideslope 100 below

- if more then 100 above or below a cal glideslope deviation

- 80 knots

- positive climb

- passing 10000 feet

You may use placeholders, I make my own wav files.

:-)

Requests cost money.

I think the Tu-104 here uses similar (english language) voice samples. You can adapt these to other airliners.

https://www.avsim.su/f/fs2004-originalnie-samoleti-40/reworked-tu-104-b-1976-56272.html?action=download&hl=tu-104

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

So I guess it looks like fps wins especially for the DIYs... but I hope  the commercial ones are reading this as I reckon once you have done it once then you have the template for all the others. My main point is if there is a way of making it an optional start-up feature, then  it would be good to have. Not being a developer with no idea of the complexities that may just be wishful thinking.

I guess development effort ultimately wins. Effort = time = cost. IMO the real question is, would customers pay more for a plane if it had a virtual FO? Maybe even a lot more?

You in the captains' seat are very close to that virtual person, so every shortcoming would really stand out. But if you make visual compromises because of FPS - this seems a little out of place in a (payware) aircraft model where everyone expects to be able to count every bolt and rivet.

Btw. the Iris Battlefield Airlifter has an actual FO and she is not too bad. And the IMHO best virtual passenger you can get is Heidi on the A2A Piper Cub (you can even choose her personality...).

As for purely acoustic FOs - there are a lot of freeware and payware addons doing just that, and sometimes these things are built right into the aircraft as well. My favourites are MCE and FS2Crew, but being told off by Travis in FS Captain is fun too (in a way)

LORBY-SI