Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

REX released Soft Clouds for FS9

Thank you very much for your help, is it necesssary to change all cloud types to 256 format?. I can see that some of them can not change from 512 format. And some are already very small in size.  

Tapani Österberg

Following onto my prior post, I did finally get the Soft Clouds add-on running after two days of slow communication with REX tech support.  I'm not sure what the nay-sayers in prior posts are seeing but the combo of REX, Overdrive (which is an advanced texture package) and the new Soft Clouds is a world apart from the stock cloud textures.  I reverted to the stock textures and then compared them to the full fs9 REX combination.  I would say it is similar to the difference between stock aircraft textures and, say, Carenado's offerings.  If I can figure out how to take screen shots in Windows 10, I'll try to get some examples posted.  Perhaps Soft Clouds can be used without the other REX sky textures, and that might not add much to stock sky textures.  Give me some more time and I will take a look at those options.  

Finally, the value equation may not work for some here.  I don't throw money at my setup either.  Ten dollars and some change are what is asked for the Soft Clouds option.  I don't regret paying that.

Just ignore my last post, after some technical trial and error I managed to sort that thing out. Thank you very much for your help.

Tapani Österberg

REX Soft Clouds is now 50% off (all REX products are 50% off) at REX's website. They are selling it for $5.48!. Sale ends on New Years Eve. I will be buying it soon!

Having got my allowance today from my wife, I decided to go to the REX site for the 50% off sale.  Since the Soft Clouds appear to be so inexpensive, I wanted to give it a try .... BUT .... the minimum requirements say "Windows Vista SP2 or greater".  Since I'm one of the stubborn Windows XP personages, I am chagrined.  Has anyone tried these while using Windows XP?  Does it even load?

No. I bought yesterday hoping to see something new to keep improving FS9. The installer hangs with "Prerequisite check for system component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64) failed with the following error message:
"Installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is not supported on this operating system. Contact your application vendor."

The day I quit using XP is the same day I waste a ton of money side-grading to FSX and a thousand dollars to make it look like my current FS9 setup. I made a comment on the REX site that they should just come right out and state NOT FOR XP USERS.

No. I bought yesterday hoping to see something new to keep improving FS9. The installer hangs with "Prerequisite check for system component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64) failed with the following error message:

"Installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is not supported on this operating system. Contact your application vendor."

The day I quit using XP is the same day I waste a ton of money side-grading to FSX and a thousand dollars to make it look like my current FS9 setup. I made a comment on the REX site that they should just come right out and state NOT FOR XP USERS.

I understand your affinity for XP; however, you really should consider updating.  You're taking a HUGE security gamble by utilizing an outdated and unsupported OS; the last security patch was 2+ years ago.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/531651/windows-xp-is-still-a-favorite-among-hackers/

Matt King

I understand your affinity for XP; however, you really should consider updating.  You're taking a HUGE security gamble by utilizing an outdated and unsupported OS; the last security patch was 2+ years ago.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/531651/windows-xp-is-still-a-favorite-among-hackers/

Ya ..... and Y2K is STILL wreaking havok to us today.

Gonna stick with WindowsXP to the end, thank you.

Ah! now there's valuable information...

I have the luxury of a vanilla XP SP3 install (no bloaty updates), and would not even contemplate putting the sim into my WIN 10 box.

It is the definitive way to run FS2004.

If Soft Clouds won't run on XP, I guess I'll have to amuse myself by going back into FE/GE Pro and trying another of the gazillion possible combinations there! 

I've overwritten the original clouds so many times. What is/are the file names that I need to get off the original disks? Thanks.

Found it through some old posts. I've used REX for a while and went to the clouds AS6.5 comes with the 256 size option. I'm wondering if the default clouds are better than these.

I keep scratching my head why so many people bother with FSX/P3D over FS9. Great to see some developers aware there is still a FS9 market and you know, it might even be an ever so slightly growing market! lol 

WideAspectView :-)

Ernest Pergrem

I'm wondering if the default clouds are better than these.

Most definitely not.

I'm intrigued by this though... always on the look out for some way to break my sim  :wink:

Here are some clouds in my setup:

D1NJ1u.jpg

It might be interesting to compare these with some of the options.

Post your "semi-volumetric" cloud shots below, and let's see... 

**MODS: this is a technical discussion within FS2004, not a screenshot topic! **

"**MODS: this is a technical discussion within FS2004, not a screenshot topic!**"

OK, take out the screenshot, put it in the screenshot forum and post a link here to the screenshot forum.  Then in the screenshot forum post a link back to this thread.  That way we can have fun bouncing back and forth between the two forums [or should that be fora??] to see what everything is about.  Fun way to waste an afternoon or evening!!

Dijvid