Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

REX released Soft Clouds for FS9

@ Edetroit,The one with the little cargo Fokker looks very real!

@WingZ, the clouds at the top of the image look good and soft, the ones below the Sukhoi look completely different... it always amazes me the way the weather engine comes up with such a difference in looks from the same set!

@ Edetroit,The one with the little cargo Fokker looks very real!

@WingZ, the clouds at the top of the image look good and soft, the ones below the Sukhoi look completely different... it always amazes me the way the weather engine comes up with such a difference in looks from the same set!

Thank you Sascha, I have edited the rest out......I couldn't choose!  :lol:

I bought the FS9 REX soft clouds and the next morning got an email from them saying they are now 50% cheaper. Typical - luckily they weren't so expensive to begin with.

How do I verify that I am seeing REX clouds rather than any other. I am not sure I can see a huge difference. With Flight Environment, GE Pro, ActiveSky graphics and REX I am starting to loose track these days of what textures are set to show up in the sim!

How do I verify that I am seeing REX clouds rather than any other. I am not sure I can see a huge difference. With Flight Environment, GE Pro, ActiveSky graphics and REX I am starting to loose track these days of what textures are set to show up in the sim!

Difficult - some of the addons you mention will install their textures whenever you run them. So you should not run  ActiveSky and FE (edit: after installing Soft Clouds) and then run REX Soft Clouds (no other REX offering). I don't know if GE Pro has any cloud textures but I think it'ony ground textures. Then you should have soft clouds active.

Once  you have installed soft  clouds  they will stay there  till you select  another  set of  soft clouds,  you can run asn   as much as you like   want  effect soft clouds.  to check if  it actually has  installed  you need  to go  to the rex installation , checked  the install log  and  it  will tell you the date  and  time  of  the textures  installed and  what type  you had  installed. Also soft  clouds  are for low level  clouds

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

FS9 is still strong. Very strong. I love to fly with all options of graphics at full. Love to have more than 100 AI planes in busy airports.  

About 3rd party clouds the problem is that HDEv2 kill all payware programs. I use HDEv2 with ASv6.5 and results are amazing. 

I use HDEv2 with ASv6.5  

...as I do, with FE underlying, and certainly nothing wrong with the results..

I'd still like to see a REX cloud shot for comparison though!

No. I bought yesterday hoping to see something new to keep improving FS9. The installer hangs with "Prerequisite check for system component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (x86 and x64) failed with the following error message:

"Installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is not supported on this operating system. Contact your application vendor."

The day I quit using XP is the same day I waste a ton of money side-grading to FSX and a thousand dollars to make it look like my current FS9 setup. I made a comment on the REX site that they should just come right out and state NOT FOR XP USERS.

Please contact me directly with a link to this post at:  rstough@rexgamestudios.com

Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows XP, so it makes it extremely difficult for developers to continue to support it.   That is why we have to move on.   We do state in the minimum requirements: Microsoft Vista SP2 or greater.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I use REX Soft Clouds in FSX-SE and they are excellent. But so are the HD V2 clouds in FS9 and they're freeware. However, for less than $6 it's hard to see what anyone has to lose by giving it a shot so I'm purchasing and will let you all know what I think. The advantages that I can see is that you can customize the appearance of the clouds for any particular session and the developer claims that it also improves the appearance of mist and fog... Last of all, there's the possibility of updates and REX has a pretty good record of improving their products...

WTH - seems like it's worth a try

Ian

• Upvote 1

Six dollars and a very quick and easy install and I'm perfectly happy with the results. I was perfectly happy with what I already had so I'm not claiming some miracle upgrade. I guess the only way to compare would be to have two completely different installations and run them side by side on different computers??

All I can say is the REX Soft Clouds work fine in FS9 with absolutely zero impact on performance. I now have 14 new variations of cloud textures I can install with one click of the mouse and it is instantaneous - and it cost me around about the same as an overpriced cup of coffee at Starbucks

And it's nice to have a new FS9 product from a top developer....

Cheers

Ian

And it's nice to have a new FS9 product from a top developer....
Yes and may I add that the support I have received is top rate, too.

Absent any of you shrinking violets actually posting a screen to compare, I may do a trial WIN10 FS9 install and see for myself! 

I just bought Soft clouds and I really like this product a lot. The new clouds look so good in the sim. The only complaint I have is that I could not buy at the Rex store and get the 50% discount. When I tried the site said they do not accept the American Express credit cards. I bought Soft Clouds full price at Simmarket.

Not surprised, really.  Here in the UK most people use a Visa card.  My guess is that Amex is mainly used by business people.  I certainly don't have one!

Dijvid