Sign in to follow this  
markcellis

Problem getting PTT Joystick Assignment to stick

I'm new to P2A and I'm running the trial version 1.4.33 on Windows 10. When I try to assign the PTT to the trigger button on the MAD Catz F.L.Y.5 joystick I can't get the assignment to stick. First, there is a pretty odd list of controllers to pick from, things are in the list multiple times, I have no idea if that is a clue.

The very first time I tried to bring up the configuration dialog I got an error that it could not load my joystick information. When I could not get the JoyStick button assignment to work and went ahead and configured it for the spacebar on the keyboard. That worked.

I then went back and tried the joystick again. I selected the Mad Catz controller and pushed the button I wanted and the button number changed as expected. I then closed the dialog and tried the PTT on the Mad Catz, Nothing the, the PTT button will not turn green. I went back to the dialog and it was set back to the Keyboard assignment again. It simply will not persist the joystick button.

I looked around for some log files to see if there was an error but I can't find anything.

Mark

Hi Mark.

Sorry you're having trouble setting the joystick.  We should be able to get you going.  I use the exact same joystick on my development machine.

A couple of things you can try. 

1) Try pressing a different button, then the one you want.  Then immediately press a different tab to move away from the joystick tab.

2) Manually set the joystick button number by entering a number in the text box.  Then move to a different tab with a click of the mouse.

3) Finally, if all else fails, you can manually set it in theAppConfig folder located at:

C:\users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Pilot2ATC\Settings\AppConfig.xml

a)Locate this file and open in WordPad or other text editor

b)Search for "Joy" and you should find at least 2 entries, usually near one another, but not necessarily

c)The PTTJoyNum setting will have a <Value>n</Value> after it.  Set the number n to the number you want and then save the file.

One of these methods should work.  Let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Dave

I finally got it working but I'm not sure exactly what sequence worked. I had disconnected the sim then I went to change the PTT assignment again. After closing the  configuration dialog I immediately shutdown P2A and started it again. Now the PTT assignment to the Mad Catz controller worked. Not sure why that set of steps worked.

I have to play with P2A a lot more but this looks very promising. 

Mark

Glad you got it going.  I believe the trick might have been the disconnecting from the SIM.  The PTT button is activated when you connect so if you try changing it while connected, it won't take effect until you disconnect and reconnect.

Even though many configuration changes will work if made while connected, it's best to make all of them while not connected.

Thanks for the update.

Dave