Sign in to follow this  
vacica

CPU + GPU combination

Hi,

I'd like to purchase P3D but first I need to buy a new PC. I have a limited budget, so the thing I'd like to help with is what combination of CPU and GPU would be better to run P3D on:

Intel Core i7 4790 + MSI GTX 960 4G

or

Intel Core i5 4690K + MSI GTX 970 4G ?

Additional question:

Is better to have i5 4690K overclocked or i7 4790 without overclocking, concerning the fact that hyperthreading is not supported in P3D yet?

Thank you for any advice.

If p3d is your poison, it would pay to go for the stronger gpu. P3d can use it. Pair that with the 4690k and overclock to the limit, you should be just fine. The i7 vs. i5, I have no experience there. But the i7-4790k has served me well.

........concerning the fact that hyperthreading is not supported in P3D yet?...........

Where did you get this information from? P3D v3 works very well with HT.

Spirit

Hi,
I'd like to purchase P3D but first I need to buy a new PC. I have a limited budget, so the thing I'd like to help with is what combination of CPU and GPU would be better to run P3D on:
Intel Core i7 4790 + MSI GTX 960 4G
or
Intel Core i5 4690K + MSI GTX 970 4G ?

Additional question:
Is better to have i5 4690K overclocked or i7 4790 without overclocking, concerning the fact that hyperthreading is not supported in P3D yet?

Thank you for any advice.

P3D doenst support HT?? not :) i have a i7 4790k and a gtx 970 HT on working very well, if you can go with 4790k, excellent CPU

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I have a i7 6700k with a GTX 980ti, haven't installed p3d yet but I hope it will give me good results.

Adam

P3D doenst support HT?? not :) i have a i7 4790k and a gtx 970 HT on working very well, if you can go with 4790k, excellent CPU

Sorry, you're right. Hyperthreading is supported but many people report problems with it and sometimes even better performance with HT off.

So better question would be: Is i7 4790 with HT off better than overclocked i5 4690K?

I'd like to go with 4790K but as I wrote before, my budget is limited :-(

In my (albeit limited) experience with P3D V3 so far, you can't throw enough GPU power at it. With a GTX 680, I can not use the AA settings I'd like for the desired image quality, or use anything more than modest Display settings without maxing out my GPU (characterized by drops in frame rates and stuttering - and GPU load at 100% of course). Meanwhile, my 3570K (modestly OC'd to 4.2) shows adequate headroom. I'm looking at a 980 or 980 ti upgrade (and keep the same CPU for now) to see if i can satisfy the hungry beast! (YMMV)

As an aside, I was a bit surprised at which Display settings and NI settings pushed me over the top. It's well worth while to set up a GPU monitor while you're tuning you settings.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Go for the i5 and the 970! Almost all games at the moment are GPU limited rather than CPU limited.

An overclocked i5 should do everything for you.

I run a i7 6700k @4,4 GHz and a 970 GTX.

The processor is at around 50% load, the GPU is at 100%!

In my (albeit limited) experience with P3D V3 so far, you can't throw enough GPU power at it. With a GTX 680, I can not use the AA settings I'd like for the desired image quality, or use anything more than modest Display settings without maxing out my GPU (characterized by drops in frame rates and stuttering - and GPU load at 100% of course). Meanwhile, my 3560K (modestly OC'd to 4.2) shows adequate headroom. I'm looking at a 980 or 980 ti upgrade (and keep the same CPU for now) to see if i can satisfy the hungry beast! (YMMV)

As an aside, I was a bit surprised at which Display settings and NI settings pushed my over the top. It's well worth while to set up a GPU monitor while you're tuning you settings.

Do you fly mostly VFR or IFR (with complex addons like PMDG or Aerosoft)?

Sorry, you're right. Hyperthreading is supported but many people report problems with it and sometimes even better performance with HT off.

So better question would be: Is i7 4790 with HT off better than overclocked i5 4690K?

I'd like to go with 4790K but as I wrote before, my budget is limited :-(

No problem, yes its true, some peolple report that, but from what i read so far, less in P3D v3, most are using HT on, in my case i can say i have better results with HT on.

But i think you have to forget the HT for now, both are quad's with HT support, looking at clock speeds you can get a light advantage with the i7, if they are but overclocked, however from my personal experience non k version's become unstable overclocked, on the other hand the i7 has more cache, so less ram use, altought the VAS issue with P3D v3 is way more optimized.

Its a difficult choice, look at the prices, search for some beenchmarkings on both cpus to decide.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync