I was going to replace/upgrade the GTX 780 card that come with my system to a EVGA 980ti. However, just read the other day that in six months or so Nvidia is going to come out with their next gen video card that is suppose to revolutionize gaming/simulation, Has anybody read about this? Just wondering now if I should wait and save that money for next gen card? That one card is suppose to be better than two Titans in SLI, so they say. Don;t know if it would be worth the $$$$$$, You know it will probably cost what two Titans would or close.

Regards

Lamar Wright

You will NEVER win the battle of technology.   Something "NextGEN" will always be coming out when you go to buy.   If you can afford a nice video card that is out now do it.   Sell it on eBay later when the next one comes along then upgrade.   The question I ask myself before I go get a new video card is "Do I really need this?"  If all my other games are rocking and rolling on high or max settings but my sim still acting like a 20 FPS turkey then No, there is no reason for me to drop $700-800.   

As to "revolutionizing" simulation, I highly doubt it.   The simulator itself needs to be revolutionized rather than relying still on aged code that just can't make good use of today's hardware.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Brian has the right idea.

The lifecycle of video card technology, or announcement of new, is about 6-8 months. It's tighter than most consumer electronics that set their clock by CES. Intel is also in the same league.

I just bought a factory overclocked GTX980ti to replace a GTX680, skipping the 7xx altogether. I thought it was the right move since this gen can perform very close to a $1000.00 Titan at a much lower price point.

Keep in mind that as we buy the biggest, best video card on the market, two new generations are likely being designed that are faster and 'better'.

There is usually a sweet spot that is not the absolute high end. ...usually a notch or two down that gives a good bang for the buck.

Just my opinion. Happy shopping!

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

Every card has revolutionized the gaming industry.  Just ask Nvidia.

Now all we need is for a company to revolutionize the home based flight simming industry and get us out of this rut.

I was going to replace/upgrade the GTX 780 card that come with my system to a EVGA 980ti. However, just read the other day that in six months or so Nvidia is going to come out with their next gen video card that is suppose to revolutionize gaming/simulation, Has anybody read about this? Just wondering now if I should wait and save that money for next gen card? That one card is suppose to be better than two Titans in SLI, so they say. Don;t know if it would be worth the $$$$$$, You know it will probably cost what two Titans would or close.

NVIDIA's Pascal GPU might hit the market as early as the second quarter of 2016.

This time, I think they really have a new technology for PASCAL...so it maybe worth waiting.. Your GTX780 is fairly good...so not worth upgrading now.

http://www.vinereport.com/article/nvidia.pascal.gpu.news.twice.the.bandwidth.promised.amd.expected.to.counter/5251.htm

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nvidia.pascal.gpu.news.chip.to.have.17.billion.transistors.in.its.core.new.gpu.expected.to.be.released.by.second.quarter.of.2016/36337.htm

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Thank you for all who replied, some very good food for thought. Like Brian said, can't tectnology.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I think the next 12 months are going to really change our next computers. There's new GPU's (16 Gigs of super fast memory on board) and new memory storage said to be something like 1000 X faster than our SSD's and new larger pipes for data on motherboards that are  going to retire PCI in the very near future. What will it do for P3D....who knows....anybodies guess but short of smoking my computer I am buying nothing equipment wise for a few months. LOL it may all just give us faster studders

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The thing is you would most likely have to upgrade the cpu as well. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Upgrades these days are garbage. Total lack of any real competition and market is stating to stagnate. The last 4 generations of CPU and GPU still can't make FSX or P3D run at a rock steady 60 FPS with good details on anything higher than 1920 x 1080.   It seems a tiny bit better on the X-Plane side but honestly it's by a small margin even with 64 bit.

Where the new card may help you is to be able to maintain a decent FPS at higher resolutions like 4K but as with anything 32 bit that will invariably push you closer to exhausting your VAS at a faster rate. 

Save your money until you upgrade your whole rig. That's my plan.

I'm still running a GTX 670 w/Sandy Bridge.

I read the stats on Nvidia's upcomming Pascal 10X Maxwell and are really impressive.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Save your money until you upgrade your whole rig. That's my plan.

I'm still running a GTX 670 w/Sandy Bridge.

Good advice!  Save your money and build a killer computer, then use it for several years.  I think that wastes less money in the long term than constantly upgrading an existing computer.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The 780 is a good card ! You might get a few more frames out of the 980ti in FSX or Xplane, not worth the price. I have 780 6GB card. I bought a 980ti and did not notice any increase in frames, I ended up returning the card. You should wait for pascal !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar