Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

BAe Panel Project J31/J41 question

It is such a shame this project ended - the panels are excellent. The forum there is still open, but dead from a posting point of view.

Does anybody use the Jetstream J31 panel? Is it possible to make this work in

(1) Premiere Aircraft Design J31

(2) a PAOB J41? If anyone has managed this

(the panel works in these, but not for more than 10 minutes: as can be read here, it would need a 'tweaked' air file and aircraft.cfg):

http://baeforum.communityhost.de/t875543526f126833838-Engine-start-up-problem.html

I'd love to know! A shot in the dark but maybe someone, somewhere was successful....

Thanks.

This doesn't answer your question really, but if you're looking for a good J31/32 check out the Virtualcol version: http://secure.simmarket.com/virtualcol-jetstream-super-31-for-fs2004.phtml. It itsn't perfect by any means, but it is a little more 'in depth' than their latest products and is a steal at only $12. I've only used it in FSX but I imagine the FS9 version is similar.

I thought that the panel in the PAOB J41 was developed from the BAEProject panel with the author's permission, so it should be very similar. I used the BAEproject panel many years ago, but that was with the included J31 models (HJG?) which were very basic, but fun to fly. I do remeber that the panel relied on modifed air files and aircraft.cfg settings, so it is not simply a matter of aliasing tha panel into another plane.

Graeme Butler

Thanks... I will look at other versions of the J31/41, but I do like the BAe Panel Project panel. I am going to try to rewrite the air files myself, plus the aircraft.cfg. In theory, I know what to do, but in practice, don't hold your breath!

I got the air file working, but in the end the work needed to change the aircraft.cfg for the J41 was too much to contemplate, so I went with your suggestion Hamoody and bought the VirtualCol model! Thanks for the suggestion! (The panel looks good - seems to work in the J41 too, though I haven't really tested it yet, Autopilot etc.)..

In reality the Jetstream 31 and 41 cockpits differ a lot, they don't share a common type rating. The J41 has an EFIS glass cockpit that including a moving map display, optional FMS and FADEC engine control. Even the cockpit windows are different!

For the J31 I think Virtualcol's is the best available. Matthias panel is superb but I've found everything else lacking. Engine modelling is always the crux of it because geared turboprop engines are not simulated within MSFS, so it falls to the gauges to simulate their behaviour accurately. The geared engines make a huge difference to how you handle the aircraft.

PAOBs J41 looks awful and most systems don't work so I would avoid it, even though nothing else is available. If you have FSX, then PMDG's Jetstream 41 is excellent, one of the best turboprop aircraft for any simulator and unlike other Jetstream addons they've simulated the engines properly. Unfortunately it's rather demanding on the computer and only has a 3D cockpit, so you'll need a reasonable PC to run it smoothly. Having said that, I use to run it on a laptop okay, but I had to disable all scenery addons

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

If you have FSX, ........ Unfortunately it's rather demanding on the computer .........

Etc., etc., ......... etc.

Once again, FSX advice in the FS2004 forum ..... ya just gotta luv it!

Once again, FSX advice in the FS2004 forum ..... ya just gotta luv it!

It was one piece of polite information within a longer post, and still most relevant given that Jetstream aircraft are so niche within the simulator world. If I had knowledge of any decent Jetstreams for XPlane I would've mentioned those too. Troll someone and somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It is such a shame this project ended - the panels are excellent. The forum there is still open, but dead from a posting point of view.

Does anybody use the Jetstream J31 panel? Is it possible to make this work in

(1) Premiere Aircraft Design J31

(2) a PAOB J41? If anyone has managed this

(the panel works in these, but not for more than 10 minutes: as can be read here, it would need a 'tweaked' air file and aircraft.cfg):

http://baeforum.communityhost.de/t875543526f126833838-Engine-start-up-problem.html

I'd love to know! A shot in the dark but maybe someone, somewhere was successful....

Thanks.

Hi Martinlest,

I have the BAePanelProject J31 installed and working in the PAD J31 (2D Panel only) and the VirtualCol J31 (2D and VC panels) along with aircraft.cfg and .air files. I was going to upload the files to the library next week, but if you'd like a preview PM me.

Hi. Thanks for the comments (personally, I have no objection to passing comments about FSX here! That said, although I have FSX I don't fly it much, there are a lot of things I prefer in FS9, maybe because I am so used to them, and there is no way 12 years of collecting addons for FS9 is going to go to waste!).

I hadn't really thought about the cockpits being so different between the J31 and J41. I'll search for some images on Google. I can't find any good (well, any, really) J41 panels, so I can either stick with the J31 for the J41 panel anyway (a very quick test shows the VirtualCol oanel works there, but I have yet to try out the Autopilot), or maybe dump the J41 altogether (and paint the VirtualCol model with the liveries I lose.

Thanks for the offer, but with the VirtualCol a/c, I have a fully worjking panel now for the J31 - it's just the J41 I need to see about.

M.

Edit: Blimey! The two a/c do have totally different panels, you're right!

• Upvote 1

Troll someone and somewhere else.

Sir,

I am interested in the topic and those particular aircraft ..... for FS2004 - as per OP topic in the Fs2004 forum.

Your troll is misplaced.

Insult someone else.

Hamoody - one 'annoyance' is a black square in the main panel background bitmaps that partly obscures the top two gauges. Is it the same in FSX? If it is supposed to be shadow it is very badly done!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/martinlest/j31.jpg

gwillmot & ckyliu - can you both please post  like adults, in my threads at least! Thanks.

Is the photo of a 2-D or 3-D panel?

If 3-D .... you might try repositioning the aircraft relative to the sun, as I've experienced a similar phenomenon with some other 3-D panels.  Shadow effect changes with cockpit position relative to sun.

If 2-D .... I haven't a clue what would cause this as I've not experienced it on my 2-D panels.

Just a FS2004 thought.  Hope it helps

The area circled appears fine on my monitor, although there is a shadow from the glareshield that casts slightly across the top portion of the torque gauges, they're still readable here. If you have FS Panel Studio you may be able to edit the torque gauge bitmaps to remove the painted-on shadow. You could edit the panel bitmap too, but it's not going to improve gauge readability. Perhaps try viewing your posted screenshot on a different monitor/PC to see if it looks the same to you, if it doesn't, then you could try subtly adjusting your FS PC's monitor?

How does Virtualcol sound? All Jetstreams are incredibly noisy inside, especially as their engines are at 95-100% rpm whenever airborne!

Personally speaking, I would forget about the J41 in FS9 because the PAOB is the closest you'll get (and it's veeerrryyy far away imo). Whilst you could use a J31 panel, as you've seen they're so different the default King Air panel is probably a better match! Therefore I'd stick with PAOB's panel if you must have the J41. The J41 featured a lot of new parts, very little was carried over from the older Jetstreams.

support1.jpg

This is in the 2D panel.

I have Panel Studio, but have rarely used it and cannot see how to edit the bitmap. So I used Photoshop. It's not perfect, as there are slight artefacts now, but having lightened the area between the top two gauges, it no longer looks like a black box is covering them./The top half of those gauges is still black however, no matter how much I lighten them, so I guess they were drawn that way.

The sounds as supplied by VitualCol are OK. They are certainly deep and 'throaty', very turboprop!!

On the whole, I am happy with the aircarft (I should say!), given that it cost about the same as I paid for one large glass of house wine at the National Theatre in London the other night!

I want a J41 for the liveries I have - Buddha Air mostly (for flying around Mt Everest with the Aerosoft scenery!). I could repaint the J31 and use that instead of course (though Buddha Air only have J41s).